2016 Ram Tradesman Remote start keyed manual windows.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pete1983

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
I have read through a lot of threads but I haven't found the answer I am looking for.

I drive a 16 tradesman 3.6L 4X4 with no fob it is a physical key with manual windows and locks. Im not interested in adding anything to it I want to keep it as ( no power locks or windows upgrades ) I would like to install a remote start without all the bells and whistles.

The install looks pretty straight forward however every instruction set, manual and video I've seen says you need to have and use a key fob with it. Can I install a remote start with a physical key?

Ive been looking at some aftermarket kits but again they all require a key fob.

Thanks for the help

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have read through a lot of threads but I haven't found the answer I am looking for.

I drive a 16 tradesman 3.6L 4X4 with no fob it is a physical key with manual windows and locks. Im not interested in adding anything to it I want to keep it as ( no power locks or windows upgrades ) I would like to install a remote start without all the bells and whistles.

The install looks pretty straight forward however every instruction set, manual and video I've seen says you need to have and use a key fob with it. Can I install a remote start with a physical key?

Ive been looking at some aftermarket kits but again they all require a key fob.

Thanks for the help
You want to maintain your physical keyed ignition, but add remote start so you can push a button (on a fob) and start the truck from the comfort of your house? I don't know if that's possible. The physical key would have to be in the 'On' position for the signal to work (from a fob), but you can't leave the key in that position all the time or you would run your battery down.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You want to maintain your physical keyed ignition, but add remote start so you can push a button (on a fob) and start the truck from the comfort of your house? I don't know if that's possible. The physical key would have to be in the 'On' position for the signal to work (from a fob), but you can't leave the key in that position all the time or you would run your battery down.
YEAH, think DITTO ^^^^^ on this one. No way to activate the win module with a keyed system in the off position, IMHO...

OP
OP
P

Pete1983

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
Maybe I’m thinking of this wrong.

In my old vehicles when I did it they were all keyed vehicles and came with a remote start and a fob that was preprogrammed to the remote start module. A key was put in the remote start module itself if I remember correctly. I think it was a bulldog remote start if I remember right.

I assume that’s possible with this vehicle too but I’m not sure. It’s the first dodge I have driven.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Maybe I’m thinking of this wrong.

In my old vehicles when I did it they were all keyed vehicles and came with a remote start and a fob that was preprogrammed to the remote start module. A key was put in the remote start module itself if I remember correctly. I think it was a bulldog remote start if I remember right.

I assume that’s possible with this vehicle too but I’m not sure. It’s the first dodge I have driven.
Honestly, got no clue. My thoughts were closed loop with key off, but I am not a mechanic or electrician, maybe there is something out there aftermarket that will work. Just dunno.