2016 Shifting issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SpaceOperator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hello,

I'm new to the site, I've had my dodge Ram for a couple years now. Read a few post on here and decided to sign up and ask my own question. Thanks for any feedback!

Does anyone else have issues shifting into gear if one of the tires is not level with the others? I just got stuck in the snow because I slid up on to a snow bank, causing my front passenger tire to lift up. I tried going into reverse and it would not go. The dash message kept telling me to put in park and select the drive mode. When I did that it wouldn't do anything but rev the engine like it was in N. I have had similar issue when I park and accidentally go up on the curb, I have to put it in N, and roll off the curb before it will go in Drive. This seems like a really stupid safety feature, since the point of 4x4 is being able to not get stuck if one or two wheels are off the ground.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't have much input but to get the ball rolling at least... this hasn't happened to me.

My 2015 has the 6-speed RFE transmission and I drive it on uneven terrain frequently, it has never argued with me about shifting into drive or reverse on any kind of terrain situation

Good luck figuring this out.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Do you have 4wd ? Sounds like it might be neutral if you do .

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i guess you tried to go in reverse with the door open? . If the door is open the 8 speed trans won't allow you to go in reverse.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
The door can be open as long as the seatbelt is buckled (either around you or under you) it should go into gear.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I think I may have had the door cracked open slightly and definitely didn't have my seatbelt on, good to know, Thanks!!

Your 16 shouldn't have that option yet,unless you had the recall done recently.
You can check for it on level dry ground,don't buckle your seatbelt,then try to back the truck up with the door open,unless it's had the recall done,it should back up,if it goes into park it's had the recall done

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Keep in mind that if your door is open and your seatbelt isn't latched, it won't go in gear. It just won't do it.

Unless he's had the recall done,that shouldn't apply to his 16 yet Jesse,that's only on the later trucks.
I won't let them do that recall on my 14,as every once inawhile i like to move it with the door open and not have to worry about buckling the seatbelt,like moving it on or off ramps.

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Once again struck by the curse of late-run update specifics...lol.

BLUEDERANGO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I did not let them do the recall for obvious reasons,, the main one being, have you ever tried to park a big trailer in a confined space ?
Even with the good mirrors we have "I" always look, and by that I mean Open the door and look....

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Once again struck by the curse of late-run update specifics...lol.

They like to throw a monkey wrench into the mix every couple of years and change things up,just enough to screw us owners up ,lol.

OP
OP
S

SpaceOperator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I did have recalls done recently, and I just confirmed I can't go into reverse with the door open and no seat belt buckled. Thats seems like a really stupid safety feature. I wonder if a sensor is going bad because I've had issues not being about to go in gear before, Im pretty sure I was trying to pull forward with the door shut. I have to take it in next week to get the manifold bolts replaced again! and a failed fuel sensor replaced maybe they can check to see if anything is going on.

OP
OP
S

SpaceOperator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I did not let them do the recall for obvious reasons,, the main one being, have you ever tried to park a big trailer in a confined space ?
Even with the good mirrors we have "I" always look, and by that I mean Open the door and look....

I used to drive a 3500 flatbed for a roofing company we used to do this all the time backing up to a job site. Open the door one foot on the runner the other on the brake hanging out the truck to get a look around the supplies in the back.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I did have recalls done recently, and I just confirmed I can't go into reverse with the door open and no seat belt buckled. Thats seems like a really stupid safety feature. I wonder if a sensor is going bad because I've had issues not being about to go in gear before, Im pretty sure I was trying to pull forward with the door shut. I have to take it in next week to get the manifold bolts replaced again! and a failed fuel sensor replaced maybe they can check to see if anything is going on.

You have to be careful with alot of the recalls,they have a habit of screwing up a good thing/truck,lol. I'm very picky about what recalls i'll let the dealer do on either my truck or the wifes car. I make a point of researching the recall and checking here or on the facebook pages for what issues guys are yelling about after the recall has been done,if more then 1 or 2 guys are yelling,i sit back and wait to see if they're an isolated case,when 4 owners are ******** that's where i draw the line,ain't getting that recall done,lol