2017 1500 5.7 died while driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bmg97

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi all, need some insight. Was driving then noticed almost like a misfire. Engine light flashed, lost power but as long as I kept the pedal down it went. Got to light, died, and would start. Then when I tried to start it I floored the gas and it started but ran rough, had a "clicking sound" coming from what seems like under the car. Stalls unless I keep the gas down. Limped home and then died in the driveway. Almost 3/4 tank gas in it and well maintained.

Edit, check engine light flashed as well

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
codes?

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Out of curiosity, did you happen to get gasoline sometime before this started? Only reason I ask is because your symptoms sound consistent with water in the gas. Techs typically look at wiring or electronics, but water can be one of those easy-to-overlook causes. Just a thought.

Other possible causes could be a lack of fuel pressure an electronic/wiring issue, accelerator pedal, etc. Post the codes if/when you get them.

OP
OP
B

bmg97

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Out of curiosity, did you happen to get gasoline sometime before this started? Only reason I ask is because your symptoms sound consistent with water in the gas. Techs typically look at wiring or electronics, but water can be one of those easy-to-overlook causes. Just a thought.

Other possible causes could be a lack of fuel pressure an electronic/wiring issue, accelerator pedal, etc. Post the codes if/when you get them.
filled up this morning. Drove about 30 miles to work and 30 miles back when it happened.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When I've taken on a lot of water at a gas station the 'missing' and terrible operation usually occurred within like 5 miles. So water might not be the issue. Something to keep in mind in the event nothing else checks out.

I'd probably check battery connections (load test battery), look over wiring, then fuel pressure (unless codes suggest otherwise). How many miles on your tk? If you know a guy who has a scanner where you can see live data that might be real helpful in a case like this. AlfaOBD for phone or tablet can do that (search on these forums).

Last edited:

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
non that I see. Will have an odb tomorrow
Not sure what level trim U have, but besides getting a scanner and reading codes, if your truck has this option, check "Stored" messages for warnings:

Stored Messages
Push and release the up or down arrow button until the
Messages Menu item is highlighted. This feature shows the
number of stored warning messages. Push and release the
right or left arrow buttons to cycle through stored
messages.

wgreggking

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4x4 offroad
Engine
Did you buy it new? what oil & filter were you using? Was it ticking beforehand? Miles?

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Normally if its a cam lobe/lifter it will still run/idle just bad unless you somehow wiped out multiple I would check the basics first before pulling valve cover ect.

OP
OP
B

bmg97

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you buy it new? what oil & filter were you using? Was it ticking beforehand? Miles?
Had since new. Always changed oil early. Uae PUP and wix fiter. Always had a little tick but thought it was headers.

OP
OP
B

bmg97

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Normally if its a cam lobe/lifter it will still run/idle just bad unless you somehow wiped out multiple I would check the basics first before pulling valve cover ect.
What basics ? It starts and runs just really ****** as you can see

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Maybe it's the recording but that sounds a little sharp for a cam or lifter. Sounds like a rod knock. How many miles on your rig?

OP
OP
B

bmg97

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Maybe it's the recording but that sounds a little sharp for a cam or lifter. Sounds like a rod knock. How many miles on your rig?
82,000. I can try to get a better video but I'm not sure I want to keep starting it...

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What basics ? It starts and runs just really ****** as you can see
Just saw the vid you uploaded didn't see it before sounds worse then a lifter to me. I think you spun a bearing broke piston or somethin its not good you are going to have to tear it down for sure. It is weird that it would fail with such low miles tho if you are not the orig owner someone must of skipped a lot of oil changes before you.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bmg97

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just saw the vid you uploaded didn't see it before sounds worse then a lifter to me. I think you spun a bearing broke piston or somethin its not good you are going to have to tear it down for sure. It is weird that it would fail with such low miles tho if you are not the orig owner someone must of skipped a lot of oil changes before you.
I've had it since new. I am a maintince freak. Change the oil every 5k with Penzoil premium and wix filters. Basically all highway miles too. Going to start pulling things apart I guess.

OP
OP
B

bmg97

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So what should be my approach here ? Pull it apart then order parts or order parts then pull it apart ? Any upgrades I should do ? Its a daily driver.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So what should be my approach here ? Pull it apart then order parts or order parts then pull it apart ? Any upgrades I should do ? Its a daily driver.
I would just pull the motor with a noise like that.. tear it down and see what happened you wont know what you need til then you need to make sure your cylinders/crank are good.

Last edited: