2017 1500: Closest I've come to an accident in my life. Thoughts on these brake upgrades (Detroit Axle, Powerstop)?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Elijah

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have this awesome 2017 RAM 1500 Big Horn
RAM_beforeAfter.jpg
I'm asking the question here because my truck is lifted. Also I have the tow package. So with the bigger tires and lift it seemed like the right place.

The other day driving from NJ to MD I almost had a bad accident on 95 in MD. Someone knucklehead was not paying attention in the lane next to me and they had to slam on their brakes and just narrowly missed the car at a dead stop. They swerved sideways right into my lane (passing lane). I thought for sure he would hit the concrete barrier but his car straightened out just in time for him in my lane but he was at almost a dead stop. I was already HARD on my brakes which woke my wife out of a dead sleep, thankfully she did not freak out, and I could feel the ABS hard at work. I managed to literally squeak by this guy with probably less than 6" between my driver side and him and the lane next to me which was stopped.

I was pretty ****** with them for not paying attention. More than likely the guy was on his darn phone.

Anyhow, I was wondering if anyone else has done an upgrade for their OEM brakes?

These are two brands I've heard good things on
Detroit Axle: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MKQBZCK/ref=crt_ewc_img_oth_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A211X84PXCJNAT
PowerStop K2164-36 Front & Rear Z36 Truck and Tow Brake Kit: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005UB4FF0/ref=crt_ewc_title_dp_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Last edited:

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I haven't upgraded my Ram yet, the OE pads have been working fine for me so far. I'm on smaller tires & the RCSB truck weighs ~20% less than a four door so the brakes aren't working hard.

Been a big fan of PowerStop though for decades now, I put them on everything and will be putting them on my Ram when the OE pads finally wear out.

audiophile

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I have this awesome 2017 RAM 1500 Big Horn
View attachment 480941
I'm asking the question here because my truck is lifted. Also I have the tow package. So with the bigger tires and lift it seemed like the right place.

The other day driving from NJ to MD I almost had a bad accident on 95 in MD. Someone knucklehead was not paying attention in the lane next to me and they had to slam on their brakes and just narrowly missed the car at a dead stop. They swerved sideways right into my lane (passing lane). I thought for sure he would hit the concrete barrier but his car straightened out just in time for him in my lane but he was at almost a dead stop. I was already HARD on my brakes which woke my wife out of a dead sleep, thankfully she did not freak out, and I could feel the ABS hard at work. I managed to literally squeak by this guy with probably less than 6" between my driver side and him and the lane next to me which was stopped.

I was pretty ****** with them for not paying attention. More than likely the guy was on his darn phone.

Anyhow, I was wondering if anyone else has done an upgrade for their OEM brakes?

These are two brands I've heard good things on
Detroit Axle: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MKQBZCK/ref=crt_ewc_img_oth_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A211X84PXCJNAT
PowerStop K2164-36 Front & Rear Z36 Truck and Tow Brake Kit: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005UB4FF0/ref=crt_ewc_title_dp_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
I just installed the Z36 kit on my rears and will be doing the fronts next month. I have been very happy so far. I have a '16 1500 w/2.5" lift and do occasional towing. I got mine through Rock Auto.

Attachments

• 20211024_123411.jpg
    20211024_123411.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 20211024_114914.jpg
    20211024_114914.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 9

670hoth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Can't speak for brakes specifically but Detroit Axle is not what it used to be. I am not sure they try to market high quality products so much as off-shore low cost stuff now. I've bought these Akebono ProAct pads for other vehicles and they seem very high quality and work excellent. They are also made in USA. I've had both good and bad performance out of Power Stop so I am not sure what to tell you on those. You should also buy high end rotors and possibly go slotted and/or cross drilled although there are mixed opinions on this. https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinf...PEYGlhqnqK9V9fn5Zo0UmEWcXtBKYKacs/rQzEWBb34wm

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Now sure any brand pads and rotors will overcome the extra weight of the larger tires and make huge difference, unless your pads are near the end of their life.

Wookiee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I upgraded to the Powerstop Z36 package front and back 2 years ago. Bone stock otherwise, towing approx 7000 trailer 4-5 times per year. No issues. And great performance.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Can't speak for brakes specifically but Detroit Axle is not what it used to be. I am not sure they try to market high quality products so much as off-shore low cost stuff now. I've bought these Akebono ProAct pads for other vehicles and they seem very high quality and work excellent. They are also made in USA. I've had both good and bad performance out of Power Stop so I am not sure what to tell you on those. You should also buy high end rotors and possibly go slotted and/or cross drilled although there are mixed opinions on this. https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=10448116&cc=3435444&pt=1684&jsn=890&_nck=ZExt1ysfqhqWnq+EvUNdS3Txyey60IDtnjPWF5UU9J0BWQv7pvqZbkEUk86+AYIhT5Z528+oowF7vpuu8Dags933x1Vm3XycKcyXC6bhO421ZrRffN0I1NvvmKbV5Ns7c3kp+srdhjXvzyrvlBUA+gU5c+ahHJHrxMhjTMJFutqs9sz+02N+5GYvFeaaqpI4kmj0uZvW3l1HEoDkMlR9hxHrFd5ZHyt1UDXy8cej8WlVfwX3YghQACuDSUMpMBiTo3OVxNXjIdM8z0jeVmWlVSFTonRdFTOo6f4zndGJqdnjdoUFoOHPEYGlhqnqK9V9fn5Zo0UmEWcXtBKYKacs/rQzEWBb34wm
The improvement made by drilled/slotted rotors is less accenuated in everyday street operation. They have their place in slalom racing and such performance applications where repeated severe use is done in terms of very short intervals during high speed competing.

The Akebonos have from my own experience performed very well. I typically get rotors with high carbon content for customer who want exceptional braking performance on Houston's freeways without fade, squeal, vibration, or pulsation.

What I can tell you is that the engineering number printed on disc pads have a 2 character letter designation that signify friction coefficiency. Ho-hum regular brake pads typically have "EE" in the queue. "FF" is going to perform noticeably better, and "FG", "GG", "GH" go up the ladder to very good stopping modulation control without fade. I recently installed high carbon rotor and "GH" pads on a customer's all wheel drive VW Golf Sport Wagen turbo.
He stated when I followed up a couple of weeks later that those brakes really perform well.