2017 Tradesman Crew Cab water sloshing in rear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

osprey92

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I haven't seen this particular question asked. As the title suggests, I have a sloshing water sound somewhere from the rear of the cab. The rear of the cab is dry. About 2 years ago due to water intrusion, I replace the vents, light on the rear of the cab, the seal, and silicon sealed the light and the rear window. Happy happy until about a month ago when after rain I hear water sloshing from rear of cab. Cab and roof are dry. I removed my Switchblade cover and the container was dry. If I had to guess, it sounds like it is between two body panels in the rear of the cab, below the window. Anyone else found this to be happening, and where is the drain port located?

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
You sure it wasn’t water sloshing around in the bed ?

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
on your rear doors, there are 2 panels
one you can see as soon as you open the door

in the image the first panel is removed

it look like if you remove the speaker , you may be able to see inside

but first check the rubber inspection cover, it is maybe 5 X 5

just thought of another thing
look under the door, there should be a rubber seal surrounding the doors
The drainage holes are sometimes hidden by the rubber seal

1644736119131.png

OP
OP
O

osprey92

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Continuing saga... after weeks of trying to find the source of the sloshing, I am stumped. The rollup for the bed cover was dry - I removed and checked. Not the doors. Rear floor is dry. The ceiling is dry. After 2 weeks of no rain, the water does dry up. Does anyone have a diagram showing all the drainage points in the bed and rear body of the truck? I am convinced this is between quarter panels.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
If you have a rear sliding window
The track for the slider, has one small hole in it

I have not looked for it in mine & i probably should, as i park under a Olive Tree, when ever i am home.

The hole is actually under a black slider piece
the actual water catching body part has the hole in it
The other end of the hole is outside, under the window seal

The Youtube video that i saw, he drilled a 2nd hole on the drivers side of the sliding window.
He stated that after drilling the 2nd hole & cleaning the original hole, the track no longer overflowed & worked as designed.

I will look for that video again

other sliding window videos

bigdodge

Reaction score
Check the body plugs under the doors, on the cab near the pinch weld. There is a cavity there that could hold water if the drains are somehow plugged.

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had a sloshing sound as well. When I pulled on the rubber seal on the bottom of the door, water poured out of it.

OP
OP
O

osprey92

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you have a rear sliding window
The track for the slider, has one small hole in it

I have not looked for it in mine & i probably should, as i park under a Olive Tree, when ever i am home.

The hole is actually under a black slider piece
the actual water catching body part has the hole in it
The other end of the hole is outside, under the window seal

The Youtube video that i saw, he drilled a 2nd hole on the drivers side of the sliding window.
He stated that after drilling the 2nd hole & cleaning the original hole, the track no longer overflowed & worked as designed.

I will look for that video again

other sliding window videos

TY. No sliding rear window.

OP
OP
O

osprey92

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a sloshing sound as well. When I pulled on the rubber seal on the bottom of the door, water poured out of it.
TY. I didn't find any water in the doors, but next opportunity I will pull seal all the way off.

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I found it by opening the back door and rocking the truck. Just followed the sound.

OP
OP
O

osprey92

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Update... had an evening of hard rain. Sloshing returned. Opened and slung doors back and forth - no sloshing. Left the drive way and sound was back. Pulled back in and decided to rip the lower molding off the passenger rear door - viola!
Now - where is the source of the water intrusion? Exterior, lower window molding? Any fix for that besides leaving the lower molding off?

RangerWeaver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 4.7L
Update... had an evening of hard rain. Sloshing returned. Opened and slung doors back and forth - no sloshing. Left the drive way and sound was back. Pulled back in and decided to rip the lower molding off the passenger rear door - viola!
Now - where is the source of the water intrusion? Exterior, lower window molding? Any fix for that besides leaving the lower molding off?
I would recommend checking all the drain holes in the door to make sure they are not clogged first. And you may need to replace the outer seal around the window.

bigdodge

Reaction score
It's normal for Easter to enter the door. The problem is it isn't draining. If the holes aren't plugged the your probably just have a really tight sealing door

OP
OP
O

osprey92

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What are the lower door seal and exterior window seal part #s? Or is there a better fix that ordering OEM parts?

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I have a pix somewhere, it is a stripped door

1648010505122.png

1648010622944.png

1648010704228.png

Last edited:

Forestry_Ridge

Wildland firefighter/EMT
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Continuing saga... after weeks of trying to find the source of the sloshing, I am stumped. The rollup for the bed cover was dry - I removed and checked. Not the doors. Rear floor is dry. The ceiling is dry. After 2 weeks of no rain, the water does dry up. Does anyone have a diagram showing all the drainage points in the bed and rear body of the truck? I am convinced this is between quarter panels.
Does your truck have the in floor storage in the back seat? If so I’d check that too. Really unlikely water would get in there but worth at least checking

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
water is sometimes found in the compartments under the seats

1666072186968.png

1666072243396.png