2017 vs 2021 ram box bed size for tonneau

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DONTGET

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
eco diesel
HI anyone reading this.

I had a 2017 ram sport with 5'7 bed with ram boxes. I purchased a retrax aluminum retractable tonneau for it. I was wondering if it fits a 2021. On retrax website It does not differentiate between years. only 5'7 beds with rambox. It appears I only need to brackets to connect to new bed track system in 2021 version

thanks in advance

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Did you get a 2021 classic or DT 5th Gen?

5 lug nuts it is a classic and 6 it is 5th Gen.

Overall the bed is a "similar" size...but they are different.

Unless you did get the classic then it is exactly the same

OP
OP
DONTGET

DONTGET

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
eco diesel
Hi and thanks for the reply

I have a 5th gen now ;6 lugs

I can’t find any information on retrax site differentiating the models with 5’7 rambox so i did email them asking if it would fit and if they sell just the new brackets/ components of it does fit

sorry, i’m not sure if your saying the 2017 retrax i have will fit on the 2021 classic or 5th gen (6 lug) or neither

My new ram came with the soft fold up tonneau cover but after having that aluminum retrax it’s a must have

thanks for replying and any information!

Arth

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Limited 4x4
Engine
6.7 HO Cummins Turbo Diesel
Hi and thanks for the reply

I have a 5th gen now ;6 lugs

I can’t find any information on retrax site differentiating the models with 5’7 rambox so i did email them asking if it would fit and if they sell just the new brackets/ components of it does fit

sorry, i’m not sure if your saying the 2017 retrax i have will fit on the 2021 classic or 5th gen (6 lug) or neither

My new ram came with the soft fold up tonneau cover but after having that aluminum retrax it’s a must have

thanks for replying and any information!

So the sites and tools won't say it but I imagine it'll fit. Probably not perfect but it'll fit.

I went from a 2018 1500 to a 2021 1500 DT (6 Lug) and I carried over my black flip G2 and my bed rug bed liner to my Rambox equipped 21.

The Rambox mounting points between the two trucks for my bed cover were identical and the bed rug fit perfectly as well.

Hope this helps.

oe542bob

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi eTorque 5.7
Although I don’t have the 5th gen, I have the 6.5’ Rambox on my ‘18 2500. Previously I had 3 - 1500’s with the same sized Rambox. My 1st 1500 came with the factory trifold cover. With that cover, you will not have the correct rails for mounting an aftermarket cover. You will need the silver rails, not the black ones that are used with the factory cover. I got lucky when I found this out because I found a buyer for my factory cover. We swapped the rails. Then I was able to install my Retrax power mx. I’ve been using that same cover just shy of 6 years.
Like I said, check out your rails, if they are like the 4th gens, I know for sure the ones you have only work with the factory cover.
On the Retrax website, the part number is not the same for the ‘17 & ‘21
‘17- #80234
‘21- #80244

Last edited:
OP
OP
DONTGET

DONTGET

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
eco diesel
Although I don’t have the 5th gen, I have the 6.5’ Rambox on my ‘18 2500. Previously I had 3 - 1500’s with the same sized Rambox. My 1st 1500 came with the factory trifold cover. With that cover, you will not have the correct rails for mounting an aftermarket cover. You will need the silver rails, not the black ones that are used with the factory cover. I got lucky when I found this out because I found a buyer for my factory cover. We swapped the rails. Then I was able to install my Retrax power mx. I’ve been using that same cover just shy of 6 years.
Like I said, check out your rails, if they are like the 4th gens, I know for sure the ones you have only work with the factory cover.
ok this was exactly what i was looking for. i had the silver rails on my 2017 and now have the black rails that came with new truck and tri-fold tonneau which have a different shape. i was looking for the part or bracket that mounted the retrax to the new rails.
i really like the idea of trying to sell my tri fold tonneau and trading silver/black rails

thank you for answering the rail issue!