2018 1500 4x4 with Lean

Discussion in 'Exterior' started by AMDman13, May 2, 2019.

Sponsored By: BAK Factory Outlet
  1. AMDman13

AMDman13 Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    I recently bought a 1500 certified used (dealer demo) and it has a substantial driver lean. I have measured from the top of the fender to the top of the rim. The driver rear is 1/2" lower then the passenger side. There is a 1/4" difference in the front two sides. I know the fuel tank is on the driver side, but this is unaffected even with less then quarter tank. The truck has 7000 miles on it and its been sitting at the dealer since Friday. I called the service manager today and he is trying to tell me that he has 4 other Ram 4x4's with the same issue. He claims it is simply a "characteristic" of the vehicle and that nothing is wrong. I told him that answer is not acceptable and that if he can't correct then I would be filing a claim with FCA and NCDS. Now he is saying that he will contact FCA to try and resolve.

This can't be true? I can understand a small lean due to a full tank of gas, but this truck is literally sitting or driving down the road looking crooked as hell. It is an obvious difference that anyone can see with the naked eye. Am I suppose to believe that the number 2 selling truck in America is simply crooked?

Anyone else notice this? I'm guessing faulty leaf springs?

2. JohnnyMac

JohnnyMac Hold my beer and watch this..... Military

Ram Year:
    2018 1500 Laramie
    Engine:
    3.0 EcoDiesel
    How big a boy are you? Maybe it's not the truck.... :)

jagu366 likes this.
  3. AMDman13

AMDman13 Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    LOL. 192 lbs last I checked.

JohnnyMac likes this.
  4. ThunderMug95

ThunderMug95 Senior Member Supporting Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    If I am not mistaken, the driver’s rear coil is a tad taller than passenger to compensate for the weight of the fuel tank/driver. Do you think they couldve had a lift on it and removed it, mismatched the coils? Or worse had a little crunch?
    Brother in law bought a zero miles accord years ago...it had “fallen” off the carrier and the suspension ended up being so out of whack, the dealer took it back. What happens at the dealer, stays at the dealer....

madtrucker2016, McBroom and JohnnyMac like this.
  5. circuitguy

circuitguy Senior Member Supporting Member

Ram Year:
    2017 Ram Tradesman Regular Cab
    Engine:
    5.7L HEMI
    Every Ram I have seen has a drivers side lean including my old 2007 and my current 2017. Its due to more weight being on the drivers side. Its unavoidable but not easily noticeable unless your really looking for it. I had Chevy and GMC trucks for years and every one of them had the same lean to.

6. fivestar

fivestar Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7L Hemi
    Yep. My 2018 leans, as well as the '15 JK that I had previously. The JK lean is so prevalent that forums are abuzz with fixing and leveling the lean. I had measured the JK as well, and it was pretty far off too. Seems to be a trait with these vehicles for some reason.

7. BOWERSFJ

BOWERSFJ Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7L Hemi
    Just an FYI ... No leaf ... Coils on all 4 corners

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jagu366 likes this.
  8. 22hemi13

22hemi13 Senior Member Military

Ram Year:
    2014 2500 4x4
    Engine:
    Sorry. Lean is pretty common. My 2500 leans too especially when full of fuel

McBroom likes this.
  9. hodge-xj

hodge-xj Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.9 cummins
    Coils in these trucks are pretty soft and sensitive to the added weight. Even with my bilstein coils being side specific, and longer to account for the lean, I still had it. I used a 1/2 spacer to level it out

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

10. AMDman13

AMDman13 Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    Here is a pic of the trunk. I have been checking every 1500 I see on the road. I do see a few with a lean, but I see more without it. At least not noticeable with the naked eye. Here is a pic of the trunk as it sits. I will admit it looks more drastic in person.

I have seen a 1/2" spacer advertised to fix the lean. Would I need one for both the driver's front and one for the driver's rear?

Truck Lean.jpg