2018 1500 4x4 with Lean

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AMDman13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I recently bought a 1500 certified used (dealer demo) and it has a substantial driver lean. I have measured from the top of the fender to the top of the rim. The driver rear is 1/2" lower then the passenger side. There is a 1/4" difference in the front two sides. I know the fuel tank is on the driver side, but this is unaffected even with less then quarter tank. The truck has 7000 miles on it and its been sitting at the dealer since Friday. I called the service manager today and he is trying to tell me that he has 4 other Ram 4x4's with the same issue. He claims it is simply a "characteristic" of the vehicle and that nothing is wrong. I told him that answer is not acceptable and that if he can't correct then I would be filing a claim with FCA and NCDS. Now he is saying that he will contact FCA to try and resolve.

This can't be true? I can understand a small lean due to a full tank of gas, but this truck is literally sitting or driving down the road looking crooked as hell. It is an obvious difference that anyone can see with the naked eye. Am I suppose to believe that the number 2 selling truck in America is simply crooked?

Anyone else notice this? I'm guessing faulty leaf springs?

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
How big a boy are you? Maybe it's not the truck.... :)

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If I am not mistaken, the driver’s rear coil is a tad taller than passenger to compensate for the weight of the fuel tank/driver. Do you think they couldve had a lift on it and removed it, mismatched the coils? Or worse had a little crunch?
Brother in law bought a zero miles accord years ago...it had “fallen” off the carrier and the suspension ended up being so out of whack, the dealer took it back. What happens at the dealer, stays at the dealer....

circuitguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram Tradesman Regular Cab
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Every Ram I have seen has a drivers side lean including my old 2007 and my current 2017. Its due to more weight being on the drivers side. Its unavoidable but not easily noticeable unless your really looking for it. I had Chevy and GMC trucks for years and every one of them had the same lean to.

fivestar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Yep. My 2018 leans, as well as the '15 JK that I had previously. The JK lean is so prevalent that forums are abuzz with fixing and leveling the lean. I had measured the JK as well, and it was pretty far off too. Seems to be a trait with these vehicles for some reason.

BOWERSFJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Just an FYI ... No leaf ... Coils on all 4 corners

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
Sorry. Lean is pretty common. My 2500 leans too especially when full of fuel

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Coils in these trucks are pretty soft and sensitive to the added weight. Even with my bilstein coils being side specific, and longer to account for the lean, I still had it. I used a 1/2 spacer to level it out

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
A

AMDman13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Here is a pic of the trunk. I have been checking every 1500 I see on the road. I do see a few with a lean, but I see more without it. At least not noticeable with the naked eye. Here is a pic of the trunk as it sits. I will admit it looks more drastic in person.

Coils in these trucks are pretty soft and sensitive to the added weight. Even with my bilstein coils being side specific, and longer to account for the lean, I still had it. I used a 1/2 spacer to level it out

I have seen a 1/2" spacer advertised to fix the lean. Would I need one for both the driver's front and one for the driver's rear?

Truck Lean.jpg

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Here is a pic of the trunk. I have been checking every 1500 I see on the road. I do see a few with a lean, but I see more without it. At least not noticeable with the naked eye. Here is a pic of the trunk as it sits. I will admit it looks more drastic in person.

I have seen a 1/2" spacer advertised to fix the lean. Would I need one for both the driver's front and one for the driver's rear?

View attachment 164778
I adjusted the rear height as it seemed to be where it was lower, the front wasn't quite off as much so I figured I'd adjust the rear first. Seemed to fix it enough I don't notice. Every once and a while it looks like it's off but whenever i measure it's within a 1/4" side to side

OP
OP
A

AMDman13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A company called Wulf suspension advertises a spacer. Looks like it mounts to the top of the strut tower. Is this difficult to do?

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Not at all. Maybe a couple hours for the mechanically inclined

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
A company called Wulf suspension advertises a spacer. Looks like it mounts to the top of the strut tower. Is this difficult to do?

Your plan is to only install this on one side?

OP
OP
A

AMDman13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Your plan is to only install this on one side?
I believe this is what hodge-xj is suggesting. It also seems to be what the product is marketed for. Although for now I waiting for the dealership. Supposedly they are contacting FCA for advise. I basically told them that if they didn't have a solution then I was going to proceed with a claim to FCA.

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
I believe this is what hodge-xj is suggesting. It also seems to be what the product is marketed for. Although for now I waiting for the dealership. Supposedly they are contacting FCA for advise. I basically told them that if they didn't have a solution then I was going to proceed with a claim to FCA.

Take a picture of where your rear coils sit on the rear.(both sides) They may be clocked different.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
I ended up with a 1/2" poly spacer under my driver rear coil. Even with it being side specific and a bit longer it didn't help. With a full fuel and DEF tank it still leans a bit but that's expected. You could space both front and rear evenly but my lean seemed to be rectified after I did the rear so I never pursued it further.

OP
OP
A

AMDman13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What about adding Air Bags to the rear? Will this allow to adjustment to fix the sag / lean? Maybe I will see if I can work a deal to have them installed?

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
What about adding Air Bags to the rear? Will this allow to adjustment to fix the sag / lean? Maybe I will see if I can work a deal to have them installed?
My airbags were plumbed together so i had no side to side adjustment. If you plumbed them separately that would work for sure, same concept. You're compensating for the lean with the bags, I just made up for it with a spacer