2018 1500 wreck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dave Haddon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ohh Marshall ...I was just tryin to give the OP a wild hope that "Daddy bucks" might just get a weak moment and help a fella out..compensation BTW has nothing to do with the Police report as the camera detailed fault responsibility..take it from a Traffic Enforcement S/sgt...Insurance CO...yep they be the ones to play hardball with..

OP
OP
blackbetty14

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Well some not so great news. I was able to get a rental through insurance of at fault. Today I heard back from the body shop and they gave the truck a look today as the at fault insurance was coming to assess today. I just got pics and a breakdown of the work to be performed and its basically $33k and needs a new frame due to damage at the back of the wheel on the pass side. I'm waiting to hear back on the insurance but I doubt they are going to repair it. I'm seeing sale prices at around 26-30k with 35-55k miles and I had 61k on it. Now I don't know what to do!

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
Well some not so great news. I was able to get a rental through insurance of at fault. Today I heard back from the body shop and they gave the truck a look today as the at fault insurance was coming to assess today. I just got pics and a breakdown of the work to be performed and its basically $33k and needs a new frame due to damage at the back of the wheel on the pass side. I'm waiting to hear back on the insurance but I doubt they are going to repair it. I'm seeing sale prices at around 26-30k with 35-55k miles and I had 61k on it. Now I don't know what to do!

Man ... I'm in that same boat as you, only I've been informed by the insurance adjuster three months ago, that my truck would be wearing an new frame whenever it becomes available to start the repairs.

I'm in a rental car at no cost to me on behalf of the other parties insurance and waiting on repairs ... could be a few more months out. Who keeps frames in stock ready to go when ordered? ... and that's taking into account of the other damage that is hidden and addressed when they can transfer my original "parts usable" from my old frame to the new one and then the collision center can start ... Lol, the rebuild of my truck.

I'm not sure exactly how I feel about my situation, but in some ways I'm glad my RAM isn't going to be totaled l, but however, my trade/resale value has taken a hit being KBB shows my truck is only worth $17,500 even in pristine condition/low miles. However, my truck could still be totaled due to the eventual man hours/parts/car rental, because that's going to add up.

I don't have any monies coming out of my pocket, everything is being handled by the at fault drivers insurance ...

I'm most likely going to file an deminished vehicle value claim on the other parties insurance.

Good luck, and I feel for ya.

Last edited:

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If they want to total it out, see what they're offering and if it's reasonable take it. If it's less than reasonable, you might be able to work them up.

The other option is to take the insurance $$. Pocket the $$. Take yourself out for a good meal. Then buy the truck back for cheap. Get the frame straightened at a shop, fix the rest and drive it, paid off, with money in your pocket. Not saying you want to do that, but it's an alternate idea. Sure it'll have a salvage title, but as long as it was repaired properly..

OP
OP
blackbetty14

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
I went to a dealer after work to get an idea of truck pricing at the moment so I have a number in my head when they come back with the appraisal or total number. On KBB I’m around 26-28k with 61k miles and I owe 16k so I would expect a $10k gain if it’s totaled. The dealer local to my job only had 5 1500s and 4 where limiteds at 84k+ price but were offering 10-11k off MSRP. The one big horn lone star was 64k with 5k off so 59k. A lease would run me about 750/m and a finance is 1200/m. The big horn wasn’t bad, option wise basically an optioned out big horn with the big radio and sound system and some exterior upgrades. But $750 is a lot more than $460 and in CT we have lovely car tax and my insurance would go up as the value of the truck is higher. Not sure what I want to do but will hopefully have more info tmrw or maybe early next week.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
"Who keeps frames in stock ready to go when ordered? ... and that's taking into account of the other damage that is hidden and addressed when they can transfer my original "parts usable" from my old frame to the new one and then the collision center can start ... Lol, the rebuild of my truck."
About the only manufacturer I can think of in recent times is Tundra...maybe.

This is a just-in-time parts supply world nowadays so stocking frames is generally unheard of. My ex-boss went 5 months to see one for his Tahoe.

So the frame for yours has to be ordered from the frame manufacturer and fit into their build schedule (remember, they make different configurations). Then ship to main Ram distribution, then to regional distribution, then to dealer, then to collision shop.

Sorry to hear of your predicament and glad no one was injured.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 105304 miles.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
At about 61k miles, yer almost better off starting over with a brand new pickup & warranty, and (hopefully) no expensive problems/repairs/surprises. Plus, you'd hope Ram has improved weak areas even further making the new one an even better pickup. This wreck looks like it might give you an opportunity to do that upgrade. Someone else will probably buy your pickup and fix it up (for a large fraction of what they're telling you). You'll just have to do the math once you get all the final numbers. See if it makes sense to you & your family. You'd end up paying more if you were to upgrade in a few yrs anyway.

Dealers can get trucks from other dealers (you know that), and hey ...you have a lot of dealers in your tri-state area to shop around at for the truck outfitted like you really want. Best of luck

Last edited:

TotallyHucked

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport CCLWB
Engine
Man, that sucks to see. I'd kind of be surprised if they had to put a frame under it though, that should be able to be put on the machine and pulled if need be. It doesn't look all that bad.

If it were me and they totalled it out, since I'm a pretty good wrench, I'd probably buy it back and fix it myself. If that doesn't interest you, also look around at some used trucks. The used market has softened a bit in the year since I bought mine. I got my '17 Sport from a private seller with 71k miles on it for 30k last year. I didn't want to pay that much but it was a very specific option combo that I was searching for that was almost impossible to find (Sport, R/T hood, Hemi/8-speed, 3.92, 6.4' bed, 33gal tank, no sunroof). I couldn't swallow 60k+ personally, especially as much as I drive. Just another option.

OP
OP
blackbetty14

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
It sucks bc I had a good truck with lowish miles of 61k and well taken care of. I can't get close to a vehicle like that without costing me more than what I would get out of this. I owe 15-16k and if they give me 30k if I put the remaining 15k towards anything it will be way higher on miles or I would have to cover the difference which is impossible at the moment. I'd rather start with a new vehicle at that point but it needs to make sense financially. Going from a 460/m to 650/m is a big change and to be limited in miles.

Still nothing from the insurance but here is a pic of the frame damage that I don't see anything sticking out from the pics.

I'm having trouble locating some invoices from purchases in the 2018 year like my bedrug but have gotten a good bit of them in a folder already. I'm at about $5k already.

Attachments

• DSCN9919.JPG
    DSCN9919.JPG
    148.2 KB · Views: 18

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
It sucks bc I had a good truck with lowish miles of 61k and well taken care of. I can't get close to a vehicle like that without costing me more than what I would get out of this. I owe 15-16k and if they give me 30k if I put the remaining 15k towards anything it will be way higher on miles or I would have to cover the difference which is impossible at the moment. I'd rather start with a new vehicle at that point but it needs to make sense financially. Going from a 460/m to 650/m is a big change and to be limited in miles.

Still nothing from the insurance but here is a pic of the frame damage that I don't see anything sticking out from the pics.

I'm having trouble locating some invoices from purchases in the 2018 year like my bedrug but have gotten a good bit of them in a folder already. I'm at about $5k already.

My 2017 RAM has been paid off and belongs to me, so I'm to the better on that.

Also, a feller I know and talked to yesterday and is familiar with such events on accident/insurance appraisals, stated to me that insurance companies do not use KBB, but NADA for appraisal values ... Idk.

On NADA website there is an free online form for vehicle description: year, mileage, make, body style, engine, and etc. that will give more of an accurate "before accident value" of what your truck is worth ... again, Idk.

I/he put my truck's info in NADA and I came out somewhat better than what KBB ... close to $3700 better from KBB suggests.

And, again, Idk ...lol.

I took pics of my truck after the accident but I have none that shows the "under neath" frontal damage ... my frame took brunt force in the center shoving the front bumper/frame supports up to the frame cross member where the engine sits ...yep, my engine sits off kilter, busted off three of the clutch fan blades from the radiator/ac condenser on impact. No fluids of any kind or type came out and I drove it home sounding like an deck of playings cards attached to bicycle spokes.

The impact speed when I smacked broadside into that eighteen wheeler gravel truck was 45mph, he pulled out in front of me from an stop sign, and told the "po po"(police) that "he just didn't see me". My truck impacted his gravel trailers "landing gear".

I attached a pic, it doesn't look so bad from the outside, does it?

Attachments

• IMG_20231102_135923234_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20231102_135923234_HDR.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

RamInfo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Well its totaled, just got the call. $33k payout, owe high 15k. fml
Well, that payout leaves you with a nice down payment for another truck. If you don’t need a truck immediately, like for work, some concerted shopping around might find you a track that will work for you and your budget. At least you don’t have hospital bills in the mix!

Good luck on the search,
DG

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Well its totaled, just got the call. $33k payout, owe high 15k. fml

I don't know what you're truck is worth, but it's worth your time to do the research. You don't have to accept the first offer. I've had to do that once, ended up getting quotes from 3 dealers on what the truck pre-damage would have been worth to them, insurance accepted it vs their initial offer.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Me too. I had a total-out, long long time ago. I ended up negotiating & getting a lot more. But then again, it was in the 'old days' & the other person's insurance company (they hit me) low-balled me from the start. At least you aren't getting low-balled, at least it doesn't seem like it.

OP
OP
blackbetty14

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Me too. I had a total-out, long long time ago. I ended up negotiating & getting a lot more. But then again, it was in the 'old days' & the other person's insurance company (they hit me) low-balled me from the start. At least you aren't getting low-balled, at least it doesn't seem like it.
It’s def not low balled. They use NADA data and I was estimating 26k given the miles max I would have thought 28k but they gave me 30k plus tax.

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
Hopefully you also got sales tax, registration fees and inspection fees. If not, I'd ask for those. You going to incur those expenses in addition to the replacement vehicle.

Last edited:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
You might just buy something basic, unless you do recreational or business towing or hauling.
Drive that around for a few months or a year as you look around for something that better suits you.

I have a neighbor who buys old Datsun Pickups & older Toyotas.
He sells them almost as quick as he fixes the dents

OP
OP
blackbetty14

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Hopefully you also got sales tax, registration fees and inspection fees. If not, I'd ask for those. You going to incur those expenses in addition to the replacement vehicle.
I did get sales tax it was about 2k.