2018 MSRP less the Rebates Do dealers have more room to negotiate??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RickOnt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi Guys

On a 2018 with the rebates off the MSRP Is there still some negotiating to do?

or after the rebate is off is that the best price you can expect?

Thanks
Rick

JoshR104

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Depends on the options and how long its been on the lot. I recently traded up to 2500 limited got it 5k below invoice which was around 10.1k off msrp. This was before any FCA rebates which took the price even lower by about 7k. It didnt hurt they took delivery of the truck 12-17 so its been on there lot nearly 10 months when I bought it.

Always ask for the dealer discount up front no rebates as every dealer will honor any rebate you qualify for. Once you have that number you can make other dealers compete against one another and get best value out of a trade if you have one.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Hi Guys

On a 2018 with the rebates off the MSRP Is there still some negotiating to do?

or after the rebate is off is that the best price you can expect?

Thanks
Rick
Still negotiating to do. Some dealers will and some will not though so be prepared to walk away and listen to the bs better to buy from us because we'll give you better service etc. If your local dealer has a good service dept I'd give them a second crack at the best price once you shop around a bit if they're not the lowest as you might get a bit better service in the short term, but not good enough to justify a big price difference in my opinion.

FXCLM5

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie CC
Engine
ED 3.0 V6
If you find yourself stuck with the truck you want and battling for the last few hundred bucks.

Just start asking for freebies, like first 2 years oil change free etc, or free bed liner or free running boards.

And in the end, someone will always get a better deal then you, its useless to compare - very similar to buying TV's just buy 1 that you like and dont look at prices anymore afterwards, or youll want to jump off the bridge.

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
Just knowing what you need to know going in is the key to your best price. Rebates have nothing to do with dealer pricing. Rebates are between you and the Manufacture. Dealer discount off of MRSP will vary, as stated, from one market to another. The number of vehicles in dealer inventory that you are shopping for will effect the dealer discount. Dealer discount off of MRSP can be as little as 5% or as high as 25%. Invoice pricing is in my view is just dealer talk. There are excellent resources on the internet that can help you get at what you should expect to pay in your area. In our market, we are seeing the dealers offering smaller MRSP discounts than they were 6 months ago. RAM is popular brand here. Knowing what you need to know helps you determine what "your" price is. Also, if you have dealers outside of your area that are still a reasonable travel distance, offer them your price. I travel 50 miles North of my city because my rural dealer always treats me better on price and service.

jessie_m

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Agreed on the rural dealer suggestion. Most in town dealers around here just don't want to financially work for the sale. Year end should be a good time of the year to buy. Best of luck finding your deal

RaftingDave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
We used TrueCar when we bought my wife's Jeep a few years ago - it gave us a good idea of what others paid for more or less the same new vehicle. If nothing else, it helped us feel better about the deal we got.

It's just one tool, though.

When it came to the truck, we found one big difference between the dealer we bought from (which was next town over) and the local dealership: the local guys scribbled their deal out with a sharpie in front of us, and when we laughed it off and said if they wanted our business, they could email us a get-serious offer, and they didn't. Also, the dealer we did buy from didn't have a truck optioned the way we wanted it, and actually traded a truck with another dealer 40 miles away to get us one. Then threw in a bug guard and bedliner at no cost.

That's effort.

GhostCost

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
NA
Short answer is yes. If you just accept rebates you're still paying sticker price as far as the dealer's concerned.
In fact, if you don't already know about the rebates they'll KEEP them as additional profit when you go to negotiate, so it's always best to put the rebates at the end of your deal. Start negotiating at sticker, then get the best deal you can.
Then say, "Ok, so that comes to (price negotiated) minus the rebates of $3000 (or whatever) and my final price is $finalprice.
If they'll sign off on that you got a good deal.

And end of the year is NOT the best time to buy, regardless of what they tell you. End of the MONTH is, except December, when every idiot is trying to buy a new car for their wife. :)

Khalifa45

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 1500 Backcountry
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just bought a 2018 1500 4x4 Harvest edition that was built in 10/17. So it was at that dealer probably 10 months or so. They knocked 14k off of it. It was originally 49k and I got it for 34k. Nicest truck I've ever had and I got a great deal on it. Traded in a 2017 Tacoma. I had a 2012 1500 and I thought I wanted to go smaller.

Nope. I was wrong. Anyway I found a great deal by just looking around at local dealer websites then calling them to see if it was real and met the salesman later the next day.

First post here too by the way. :)

Black W900

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
When I bought mine, the first dealer wouldn't budge....I walked.
I went to another dealer and told them what I wanted and where there was one available.
I made my deal and they did a dealer trade for the truck I wanted at the price I wanted.
A few days later I stopped by the first dealers parts dept. to get something and I made sure I parked right in front of the showroom window and said hi to the salesman.

OMW2SKI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought my 2018 Big Horn Crew Cab 4X4 Hemi 5'7" bed in June. I just looked at Ram's website and my paperwork. Ram is currently advertising $16,015 in discounts or "total value" on the same setup. This includes $12,000 in rebates and $4,015 in dealer contributions. In June, I qualified for $10,500 in rebates. I'm assuming the dealer gave me all that I was qualified to receive. The dealer contributed $5,535. That's discounts or "total value" of $16,035. These days, I feel like there are a lot of bait and switch tactics, just to get you in the door. Despite weeks of emails, phone calls and making dealers compete with one another, I only found 2 dealers within a reasonable distance that were able or willing to honor all of the rebates and make a significant dealer contribution, even though Ram's advertisements (and the dealers' own) at the time were similar. I walked away feeling like I got a wonderful deal. But as others have said, someone always gets a better deal! There is one other factor that made me think my dealer ended up digging into their own pockets simply to move a unit for a month end bonus. According to KBB, my trade in's trade value was roughly $21K. In fact, most private sellers locally were in the $21K - $23K range for the exact same pick-up. Mine had been in a wreck, thus it did not have a clean Carfax. The dealer gave me $24.5K for my trade in. That's every dollar - plus some! - of it's full retail value, based on local info and KBB. I COULD NOT have sold it myself for that much. I didn't mention the trade when I negotiated the selling price. I threw that it at the last minute (end of the month too). I told them I would sign today if they gave me $24.5K. I still can't believe they said "yes." Should have asked for more : ) The MSRP on my Big Horn was a tick under $49K. They threw in MOPAR all weather mats and a spray in bed liner. I bet even better deals are out there right now, especially at dealers that have large numbers of 2018's still on the lot. I agree with the others: 1) Negotiate separately the rebates, dealer contributions and final selling price via email before stepping on the lot; 2) Let dealers know you are serious, but price shopping with their competitors; 3) If you intend to lease, do not mention this until step 1 is completed; 4) Do not mention a trade-in before steps 1, 2 and 3 are completed; 5) Do not buy ANYTHING in finance; 6) Check the final numbers in finance before you sign and take delivery. My dealer's finance department changed the numbers by about $1,200 and I had to call them out on it. I'm sure they were banking on me being excited and not paying close attention; 7) Ask for freebies (floor mats, spray in bed liner, oil chances, etc.); 7) Be willing to give up a few dollars to deal with a local dealer, if they have a solid reputation and great service department; 7) Be amicable and friendly when negotiating.

PW2018PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Depends on the options and how long its been on the lot. I recently traded up to 2500 limited got it 5k below invoice which was around 10.1k off msrp. This was before any FCA rebates which took the price even lower by about 7k. It didnt hurt they took delivery of the truck 12-17 so its been on there lot nearly 10 months when I bought it.

Always ask for the dealer discount up front no rebates as every dealer will honor any rebate you qualify for. Once you have that number you can make other dealers compete against one another and get best value out of a trade if you have one.

You got $17k off MSRP on a 2018 2500?

What trim level and engine?

Which dealer?

JoshR104

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
You got $17k off MSRP on a 2018 2500?

What trim level and engine?

Which dealer?

2018 Megacab limited with hemi 6.4 didnt want a diesel. Dealer is Chapman Auto in Horsham Pa. Dealer discount was 10.1k off msrp had 5500 in rebates I qualified for plus 1k trade assist and a 500 mail flyer from ram. MSRP was 66.5k and financed with tax tags title and fee right at 49.

Kukailimoku

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Wo
If you find yourself stuck with the truck you want and battling for the last few hundred bucks.

Just start asking for freebies, like first 2 years oil change free etc, or free bed liner or free running boards.

And in the end, someone will always get a better deal then you, its useless to compare - very similar to buying TV's just buy 1 that you like and dont look at prices anymore afterwards, or youll want to jump off the bridge.

Word.

Udaloy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Leftovers are awesome deals. Bought my 2017 1500 Limited for $16k under sticker of $61k. Yes, $45k is a **** ton for a 1500, but it has everything, including air ride. It's nicer than the 300 I traded in.

Tony Culliton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Doesnt hurt to look around, that's for sure!!! I know where I live in Canada, just driving 1 hour out of town, I saved 5k compared to local dealers (they wouldn't budge at all). The truck I bought had also been sitting for 12+months in one of their lots... 2018 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, 4x4, Hemi, Black Out Express package, 32k, not bad (list price was 49.5k)! One dealer wanted $35k for an identical used 2017 truck with 25,000km on it.. the same truck I got local was 37k.

patchelect

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I recently drove past a Ram dealer with discount prices in 3' numerals on the sides of each truck. The amounts varied but I saw one with something like $22K on the side and another with $17K. A rebate is off the final price. The dealer has nothing to do with it. However remember that the time of the month is also going to get a better deal as a rule as well. I had a friend who was in the business and the last few days they were hustling whatever deals they could get to bump the numbers for that month. And I'm sure that a December 31st purchase will get you a better price than one in mid January as well.

All that said, I'm happier with a CPO. Somebody else took the hit and I got the deal. Sure there's a compromise on options but if you take your time you can find something to tickle your privates.