2018 overhead console

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FF1899

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok so I know generally the overhead console you just get your fingers behind and give it a firm tug and it pops out. For the life of me I cant get this thing to come down! What am I missing did they change something I dont know about or see? The thing vibrates like I have a jar of marbles stuck to my headliner every time the bass hits and want to get some deadner on it or figure something out to get it to stop but I cant even get it down!

WTM75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I know the first time I did mine, I had to pull so hard, I thought I was going to break it. It pull out harder than any other panel/piece I’ve taken out.

kkreit01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I couldn't get mine down either. I wonder if they changed something in 2018? I tried my fingers, tried thick panel tools, etc. It was damaging the headliner before it was coming down. I gave up, and tapped my radar detector into the OBDII plug +12V.

OP
OP
FF1899

FF1899

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I couldn't get mine down either. I wonder if they changed something in 2018? I tried my fingers, tried thick panel tools, etc. It was damaging the headliner before it was coming down. I gave up, and tapped my radar detector into the OBDII plug +12V.
Yeah same! What gives

OP
OP
FF1899

FF1899

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well I got it down the clips didnt want to come out luckily it didnt break. I took sound deadner mat and placed it on the back of all the plasticky contact points wrapped everything I could and pieced places in I could without interfering anything. It completely stopped the rattle not the nearest job but it is hidden and the rattle is gone20190429_123207.jpg

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2017 was hard to get loose too, I hope I never have to take it down again

Noeyes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok so I know generally the overhead console you just get your fingers behind and give it a firm tug and it pops out. For the life of me I cant get this thing to come down! What am I missing did they change something I dont know about or see? The thing vibrates like I have a jar of marbles stuck to my headliner every time the bass hits and want to get some deadner on it or figure something out to get it to stop but I cant even get it down!

Mine does the same thing. ****** me off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ctdodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2017 was hard to get loose too, I hope I never have to take it down again
Same with my '17 Laramie. I took it down to tap for my dashcam. Had to do it a second time because the USB adapter I installed was only 1A and them needs 2.5A to keep the internal battery charged. Anyway, the second time was just as tough as the first time.

Noeyes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well I got it down the clips didnt want to come out luckily it didnt break. I took sound deadner mat and placed it on the back of all the plasticky contact points wrapped everything I could and pieced places in I could without interfering anything. It completely stopped the rattle not the nearest job but it is hidden and the rattle is goneView attachment 164459

Do the clips actually latch onto the headliner or the under side of the cabs roof? I’d love to give this a try but definitely don’t wanna break a 10$ piece of plastic and have to give 100$ to replace it. Lol

OP
OP
FF1899

FF1899

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do the clips actually latch onto the headliner or the under side of the cabs roof? I’d love to give this a try but definitely don’t wanna break a 10$ piece of plastic and have to give 100$ to replace it. Lol

There is another plastic bracket above it it clips into. What the problem is the clips didnt pull out of it so y basically had to pull till the council pulled off the clips then pry them out and re position it on the post. I will say I think I went overkill but not a single rattle now and before it was bad!

Noeyes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There is another plastic bracket above it it clips into. What the problem is the clips didnt pull out of it so y basically had to pull till the council pulled off the clips then pry them out and re position it on the post. I will say I think I went overkill but not a single rattle now and before it was bad!

May get brave and give it a try soon.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
May get brave and give it a try soon.

I just did a 17 today and it was one if the hardest ones I have ever done. I literally didn't feel comfortable pulling on it any harder than I was. I decided to try removing only the black inner section first and that worked a little better. I used a pry tool to gently wedge between the black inner piece and the tan outer trim in the front of the console(closest to the windshield) I was able to pop that out pretty easily and then actually pop out the black inner section separate from the tan outer section. This gave me more room to get to the clips on the tan part if needed to remove it. I have done s few of these and never had one this tough. Worked pretty well the way I ended up doing it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Good Tip^^^

OP
OP
FF1899

FF1899

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Caution to anyone doing that also though the slots the center pops into can break somewhat easy. Get your fingers under the sides towards the back and pull like hell it will come