2018 Power Wagon with 5th Wheel?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Irishthreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Hey all! I've got a 2018 PW (6.4 HEMI) with a Firestone air kit (the 7500 lb kit). I'm looking at a 5th wheel with a hitch weight of 2350lbs and 11,900 dry weight. I've never towed a 5th wheel before, though I have experience towing larger loads, but always with an oversized truck where the rating far exceeds the load I'm pulling. Oh, I also have the RAM boxes, so the plan is to install a sliding 5th wheel receiver so I can still do the tight turns/maneuvers.

I'm basically wondering if I'm going to have major problems with the above setup? Or will this work out alright? I would definitely look at getting a 3500, but with pricing right now I don't know that I can do it. Plus my son loves the PW for the offroading side, so would like to be able to keep it!

Thanks!

Update after comments: I'm pretty well convinced it would be a mistake to assume I'll comfortably be able to take the 5th wheel out on a regular basis and for distance. I'm looking at a bigger rig or just switching to the 2500 Cummins. Thanks!
If nobody else has mentioned it, the 2500 with Cummins has a sickly payload around 2300 lbs. Keep a close eye on the 5th wheel hitch weight if you take that route. I pull a 34’ 5th wheel that’s 8400 dry and only has a hitch weight of 1250 with my 6.4 2500. Works great and I’m way below gross weights and payload.

Walter Beesley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had a 1/2 towable and when hooked up.to my 2018 2500 stock Ram, it was a no go.. the 2500 was way to high. Ended up flipping axle over and adjusting hitch to get trailer some what level. Food for thought

Warner R Rohr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO cummins
I always get a kick out the comments about not being able to stop it. The trailer has brakes on it that compensate for the overall added weight. When pulling my 18' flatbed trailer that is around 9,500 lbs. back in the day (before the inertia based brake controllers that deliver variable force) I had to turn the trailer brakes down in town so it wouldn't snap your neck when stopping. Besides, why would a Power Wagon be any different in stopping versus a non-PW 2500 that is rated to tow upwards of 16k lbs.

Anyway, back to the original question. I will start with saying the PW is rated from the factory with a significantly lower towing capacity than a non-PW 2500. That is mainly because of the softer springs and D-rated tires......everything else is exactly the same. You can modify the PW to take care of those issues (air bags, springs, tires, etc...) but "legally" you cannot raise the factory towing capacity. A non-PW 2500 can have a factory tow rating up in the 16k range so with the right modifications not sure why a PW couldn't have the same capabilities. Again, to keep the "payload police" happy and those who will say it will blow up and kill a bus full of nuns legally the rating will not increase. Though I would like to know how many times a non-commercial private citizen cruising down the freeway gets pulled over in their pickup truck pulling a camper by the highway patrol and they check the weights........

From my experience any type of trailer that is either a gooseneck or 5th wheel pulls better than a bumper hitch version of equivalent weight and overall size. That is because the weight is distributed on top of the axle of the truck and not leveraging off the back.

For my final comment I will say that if you plan on pulling that size camper on a regular basis and for longer distances I would consider a different truck (i.e. non-PW diesel).

Warner R Rohr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO cummins
62Blazer said exactly what I was told by manufacturers as well as trailer dealers

Stingerco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins I6 Turbo
That is a good sized trailer that most definately will require a 3500, preferably a dually.

Gasser54

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I tow a 11k GVWR 5th wheel with ease with the 6.4 and 3.73 8 speed. However, your yellow sticker on the driver's side door probably has a payload of 15-1600 lbs due to a power wagon. That fifth wheel would exceed any diesel 2500's payload. About your only option is a 2500 6.4 geared with 4:10 or a 3500.

Irishthreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I had a 1/2 towable and when hooked up.to my 2018 2500 stock Ram, it was a no go.. the 2500 was way to high. Ended up flipping axle over and adjusting hitch to get trailer some what level. Food for thought
Excellent point! I was able to raise my hitch box up 2 inches and now it’s at least close to level.

AngryPills

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
You can tow just fine with PW but you will be way over the sticker. The PW is equal if not better than it’s non PW version in most ways. You will sag a bit but it’s nothing to worry about I tow a trailer with my PW that has about 3500lb in the bed with ball weight and 12k trailer with no issues.

In the hills use manual shifting or your truck will feel gutless. You almost always need to be one gear lower then the auto wants towing hills.

The non PW truck has 16.4K max tow so you can basically do the same. The sticker is hugely derated on PW without any good reason.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
You can tow just fine with PW but you will be way over the sticker. The PW is equal if not better than it’s non PW version in most ways. You will sag a bit but it’s nothing to worry about I tow a trailer with my PW that has about 3500lb in the bed with ball weight and 12k trailer with no issues.

In the hills use manual shifting or your truck will feel gutless. You almost always need to be one gear lower then the auto wants towing hills.

The non PW truck has 16.4K max tow so you can basically do the same. The sticker is hugely derated on PW without any good reason.
In a way you are correct but there is a reason it is derated. The suspension is not made to handle heavy loads. It is designed for flex for off-roading etc, not for hauling heavy loads. Granted it still has the same powertrain and brakes so in that sense you are correct. The PW may be just as capable in ideal conditions but in emergency situations, high winds, etc, it will not be as stable as the 'regular' 2500's.

Also, I may be wrong but doesn't the PW have a lower GVWR? Not sure why it would since the truck itself weighs more than a regular 2500. Mine weighs 7400lbs with me in it and a full tank of fuel.

AngryPills

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The reality is that we have slightly taller softer springs with longer shocks, yes we have more articulation but once you compressed down under weight it’s all about the same. Meaning are springs near full compression I have about the same rating as a regular non-power wagon springs. Yes the ride will be a little bit softer for me at least I find that actually more stable and a lot more comfortable.

I’ve been through regular 70+ mile side winds on freeway there’s absolutely no issue with that. I have also never bottomed out my rear suspension so again yes theoretically it should be less capable but real world it works just fine.

Our frame is stronger because of the winch bracing an additional protection going from beam to beam. We have a stronger transfer case, if I remember correctly our rear brakes are bigger. Our rear axle shafts are bigger Not to mention in really bad condition I’d rather have our dry line with the lockers towing than anything else.

AngryPills

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
This nonsense about the power wagon being gimped is just marketing nonsense. Like I keep saying our truck literally is equal or better and just about every respect to it’s non-power wagon version.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This nonsense about the power wagon being gimped is just marketing nonsense. Like I keep saying our truck literally is equal or better and just about every respect to it’s non-power wagon version.
The power wagon suspension is nowhere near what a normal 2500 is, as far as towing goes. Period. That is why they are derated so much when it comes to towing. It is basically a half ton truck with a 1 ton frame and running gear.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
Last edited:

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
/if it was equally as capable they would have rated it as such. I don't know a bunch about the PW but if they could have safely rated it higher they would have. I;m sure they would have sold alot more. I was looking into buying one until I found I couldn't tow much more than my 1500 could so I decided against it. For one I assume the truck weighs quite a bit more just cause of the extra stuff like the winch, etc. That alone reduces payload and tow capacity

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My ‘16 power wagon laramie has a payload rating of 1135 lbs, and a gvwr of 8510 lbs.

DD797C07-44C9-4093-BC86-C8FEC0962185.jpeg

6785FCED-8A62-4A75-AD86-3163E993B43D.jpeg

My ‘17 1500 big horn 4x4 crew cab shortbox truck has a payload rating of 1395 lbs, and a gvwr rating of 6900 lbs.

8A6324B6-BF1C-4806-A67B-4B337A341790.jpeg

BA7DA7C8-116E-4DE9-95BA-2EE453A22DA9.jpeg

I feel like the power wagon is much more stout in the towing department than the half ton is, however i havnt really ever towed with the half ton so i am just making a guess there.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
/if it was equally as capable they would have rated it as such. I don't know a bunch about the PW but if they could have safely rated it higher they would have. I;m sure they would have sold alot more. I was looking into buying one until I found I couldn't tow much more than my 1500 could so I decided against it. For one I assume the truck weighs quite a bit more just cause of the extra stuff like the winch, etc. That alone reduces payload and tow capacity

I agree, there is no way ram wants to derate the power wagon stats for no reason. That hurts their sales big time. Im sure they would have much rather left the stats the same as a comparable non power wagon 2500…

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
My ‘16 power wagon laramie has a payload rating of 1135 lbs, and a gvwr of 8510 lbs.

View attachment 472225

View attachment 472226

My ‘17 1500 big horn 4x4 crew cab shortbox truck has a payload rating of 1395 lbs, and a gvwr rating of 6900 lbs.

View attachment 472228

View attachment 472227

I feel like the power wagon is much more stout in the towing department than the half ton is, however i havnt really ever towed with the half ton so i am just making a guess there.
Look at that GRAWR on the Wagon. And the mismatch between the front and rear axles. That right there tells you what you need to know. Our payload and towing capabilities are drastically reduced because of the springs and our off-road components. Our Rear axle ratings are still pretty high (comparable to a standard 2500), but our fronts aren't all that much better than a half-ton. The stability and capability to fight sway and maintain control in emergency situations just isn't there like it would be for a non-PW.

Can you make it better? Sure, I have no doubt airbags would go a long way toward solving this, bringing the payload back in line with a non-PW without letting things sag. But there are a lot of 'what-ifs' in the legality department that you've got to weigh. Are you okay with the possibility that your insurance may not cover you in the event of an accident, if they found out you knowingly went over the rated loading? Personally...I'm not. Insurance companies LOVE to find ways to deny claims, I am not comfortable giving them a reason.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would like an explanation of what advantage there is to marketing the Power Wagon with a lower towing and payload capacity compared to a regular 2500???
Don't get me wrong as I think with a few rather minor changes or modifications the PW could haul or tow just as much, and as good, as a regular 2500. And for the GVWR Police, I understand that does not take into account any legality issues of exceeding the factory rated capacity regardless of what modifications you have done to it .
Another thing to add, is that while the PW is only rated to tow around 10k lbs. that was a common max towing capacity of similar trucks back in the early 2000's. I had a 2003 Chevy 2500HD 6.0L gas/auto/4.10 gear that had every trailer towing, heavy duty suspension, snowplow package available that increased the payload and towing capacity and it was only rated for 9,800 lbs.

Westwind1124a

Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 ZR2Hd
Engine
6.6 Duramax
Our Rear axle ratings are still pretty high (comparable to a standard 2500), but our fronts aren't all that much better than a half-ton. The stability and capability to fight sway and maintain control in emergency situations just isn't there like it would be for a non-PW.
I have never looked at the axles side by side to a standard 2500. Is the difference really that noticeable? I assumed they were all the same...

AngryPills

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I hear you fellas but all you’re doing is repeating the same Miss information we’re all working with. I have checked just about every component against a regular 2500 and I just can’t say it enough it’s either the same or stronger.

The only tangible difference that would affect towing would be our taller softer springs, I currently have stock units I am going to upgrade to Carleys 2K springs not to gain extra towing ability but mostly because supposedly they ride even better than the OEMs. Just to be clear I tow maybe 10% of my miles so I’m not recommending the power wagon as an every day tow rig.

Our trucks are soft sprung and towing is also very mushy nobody is denying that.

I’m guessing the reason they derated the power wagon so much so people don’t put a giant bed house on it and expected to perform off-road. It’s sort of a way to maintain high off-road performance with minimal load. Obviously when you tow your you don’t need any off-road performance.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990