2018 Ram 1500 3.6 Coolant thermostat replacement P0128

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Viper6715

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi everbody ! Happy to be here as a Proud Ram 1500 owner . My truck threw up a P0128 code and i am trying to replace the Coolant thermostat . Unfortunately i am unable to find any specific Videos or manuals online , on how do it . All the stuff online seems to show Jeep or other vehicles and the layout of the engine looks different from mine . I am not even able to find where this thermostat is located . Was wondering if someone on this forum has an content that i can use . Thanks !!

OP
OP
V

Viper6715

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Found the thermostat but its through a tangled mass , was wondering if anybody knows how to get through to it . Also what is the silver cylinder?

Attachments

• CT.jpg
    CT.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 45
OP
OP
V

Viper6715

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
and this cable was detached , was wondering what is it

Attachments

• Cable.jpg
    Cable.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 35

Dave2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018,Previous 1998
Engine
3.6L,Previous 5.9L
Hello! Welcome to the forum!

Motorcity mechanic is the expert here.

He is going through a thermostat and housing replacement in this video. The engine is outside the vehicle but you can see everything well enough to follow along.

The pentastar thermostat comes with a new plastic housing. Apparently chrysler knows they don't last and if the thermostat is bad, then the housing is probably aged as well.

Again, Welcome!

P.S. I'd replace that crossover pipe as well. It's all one big assembly, and if you have gone that far, might as well do the whole thing.

Last edited:

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P.S. I'd replace that crossover pipe as well. It's all one big assembly, and if you have gone that far, might as well do the whole thing.
+1 on replacing the crossover pipe. OP how many miles are on your truck? I ask because the spark plugs on a 2018 are iridium and scheduled change is 100k miles. The intake manifold needs to be removed to get the plugs out. Typically on these 3.6L the plugs, thermostat, crossover pipe and oil filter housing all get done at once while that intake manifold is off because it’s a fairly big job. Saves time and money in the long run to do everything at once.

Dave2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018,Previous 1998
Engine
3.6L,Previous 5.9L
Come to think of it, with all those things off to get to the spark plugs, the only thing left is the lower intake manifold to do the oil filter housing too! Wow, that would be a great 100k service that could fix you for years.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
OP
OP
V

Viper6715

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello! Welcome to the forum!

Motorcity mechanic is the expert here.

He is going through a thermostat and housing replacement in this video. The engine is outside the vehicle but you can see everything well enough to follow along.

The pentastar thermostat comes with a new plastic housing. Apparently chrysler knows they don't last and if the thermostat is bad, then the housing is probably aged as well.

Again, Welcome!

Thank you so much for the information !!

OP
OP
V

Viper6715

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
+1 on replacing the crossover pipe. OP how many miles are on your truck? I ask because the spark plugs on a 2018 are iridium and scheduled change is 100k miles. The intake manifold needs to be removed to get the plugs out. Typically on these 3.6L the plugs, thermostat, crossover pipe and oil filter housing all get done at once while that intake manifold is off because it’s a fairly big job. Saves time and money in the long run to do everything at once.
Thank you ! I have abt 64000 miles on the truck

FORGEDRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I just did Radiator + Thermostat + Dorman Coolant Crossover pipe yesterday. All the videos I saw were for Dodge Caravans/Jeep/Chargers. I was going into this job thinking it was simple, but I was wrong. Lol I was surprised to see the **** I had to get through just like you pictured.

Was able to figure it out though, slowly moving wire looms out of the way and taking things out one by one. Let me know if you still need help with this.