2018 Ram 1500 harsh shifting and bumpy transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OGlarry29

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hello RAM family, this is my first post here. I own a 2018 RAM 1500 with the 5.7 Hemi. I've had it for about a year and a half now and I absolutely it, although it's given me a few problems lately. I started noticing some harsh shifting up and down, specially in low gears, the truck would hesitate when barely pressing on the gas at around 30mph, and then when I tried gain some more speed by pressing the gas, I would feel a very noticeable "jerk" or push. This was specially annoying when driving in traffic around town.
Took it to the dealer and got a "bad" transmission diagnostic, so they ended up replacing it under warranty. I have over 129000 k miles on it so I didn't think much of if at the time, I thought that would definitely fix the problem and I was excited to get a brand new tranny. However, it's even a few months after tranny replacement and the truck is back to doing the "exact" same little jump when pressing on the gas after slowing down sometimes, and this time it came accompanied by a "bump" right before coming to a stop. I've heard about this latter problem in many forums and around my dealer and everybody says its the programming so I don't know what's "normal" at this point. I have however noticed that by disabling MDS temporarily by going into manual shifting mode the jerk at low speeds goes away COMPLETELY and it just drives way better overall. Could this be engine related to the MDS? Transmission? is this behavior normal? I have also performed quicklearns and it drives better for a while but comes back.
Any feedback or advice will be greatly appreciated!

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It does sound like programming tho I had a jeep and a few other Chrysler vehicles do the same thing over the years had a bump when coming to a stop. However it is odd that it goes away when mds is off honestly its a terrible system causes issues to begin with it would help to tune out mds regardless.

lukaab

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2021 ram 1500 classic v6 with the same problem. I know its not the transmission. The TCM controls the shifting, it could be one of the problems, I also notices the speed odometer twitches when at cruising speed, not much but it twitches, then I notices my cruise control would not work sometimes and a few minutes later it starts working. That could be the input and out speed sensors or wiring to the PCM. so far I have no codes. I'm going replace the speed sensors and quick learn the TCM. if not that then TCM will get replaced. Before all of that I'm checking all the wiring. I will update on anything new.

JJreg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello RAM family, this is my first post here. I own a 2018 RAM 1500 with the 5.7 Hemi. I've had it for about a year and a half now and I absolutely it, although it's given me a few problems lately. I started noticing some harsh shifting up and down, specially in low gears, the truck would hesitate when barely pressing on the gas at around 30mph, and then when I tried gain some more speed by pressing the gas, I would feel a very noticeable "jerk" or push. This was specially annoying when driving in traffic around town.
Took it to the dealer and got a "bad" transmission diagnostic, so they ended up replacing it under warranty. I have over 129000 k miles on it so I didn't think much of if at the time, I thought that would definitely fix the problem and I was excited to get a brand new tranny. However, it's even a few months after tranny replacement and the truck is back to doing the "exact" same little jump when pressing on the gas after slowing down sometimes, and this time it came accompanied by a "bump" right before coming to a stop. I've heard about this latter problem in many forums and around my dealer and everybody says its the programming so I don't know what's "normal" at this point. I have however noticed that by disabling MDS temporarily by going into manual shifting mode the jerk at low speeds goes away COMPLETELY and it just drives way better overall. Could this be engine related to the MDS? Transmission? is this behavior normal? I have also performed quicklearns and it drives better for a while but comes back.
Any feedback or advice will be greatly appreciated!
I have new 2022 Rebel with 22k miles. 5.7 etorque. I have this same problem, mine is rough on the downshift only. I have had tcm reset or relearn twice, replaced valve body, and recently a new trans. Still same issue. I been to dealer 4 times on this issue. Feels like I’m getting bumped in rear end by another car on 50 mpg gradual slow downs with brake applied.
Truck runs smooth as silk when I disable mds with +- gear limit buttons.
I have read others with the same problem. You would think Stellantis would address this known issue!!Ridiculous!!!
I’ll be contacting my dealer again. Keep in touch with any news

sinister24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi Etorque
2022 Ram 1500 4x2 Limited etorque. 17k. miles Having similar issues, rough on downshift only.took to dealer, they found nothing, its worse, they had my vehicle for 5 days. Going back in few days.

ramingit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Diesel
Does anyone ever wonder what happens to all the cars and trucks that get flooded? I know those vehicles are put out in the desert to dry out. Guess what happens to electronics, the wiring and connectors that are used to control all vehicle functions. They get corroded and they cause the vehicle all weird driving running and not running problems. I'm not saying that is what is causing all the problems seen but electronic sensors can created a whole host of driving issues. Carpet, seats get replaced and make the vehicle look new again.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
I have new 2022 Rebel with 22k miles. 5.7 etorque. I have this same problem, mine is rough on the downshift only. I have had tcm reset or relearn twice, replaced valve body, and recently a new trans. Still same issue. I been to dealer 4 times on this issue. Feels like I’m getting bumped in rear end by another car on 50 mpg gradual slow downs with brake applied.
Truck runs smooth as silk when I disable mds with +- gear limit buttons.
I have read others with the same problem. You would think Stellantis would address this known issue!!Ridiculous!!!
I’ll be contacting my dealer again. Keep in touch with any news

This it what my 2018 had been doing since I bought it in 2020 no one can figure out what it is and I'm getting pretty sick it. lol

Everytime I come to stop it will bump like someone just hit me in the rear.
If it doesn't do it when I come to a stop, when I lift off the brake pedal, it will bump before I hit the gas.

I'm not a expert on transmissions, but it almost feels like the torque converter is still spinning when I come to a stop. Then the torque converter stops and makes the truck bump. But I could be wrong.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
This it what my 2018 had been doing since I bought it in 2020 no one can figure out what it is and I'm getting pretty sick it. lol

Everytime I come to stop it will bump like someone just hit me in the rear.
If it doesn't do it when I come to a stop, when I lift off the brake pedal, it will bump before I hit the gas.

I'm not a expert on transmissions, but it almost feels like the torque converter is still spinning when I come to a stop. Then the torque converter stops and makes the truck bump. But I could be wrong.
Torque convertor is always spinning if the engines running. What happens if you pop it into neutral as you're coasting to a stop,then put it back in gear when the light changes. I'm in the habit of popping everything i own into neutral as i'm coming to a stop,even the truck,then pop them back into gear when i need it in gear,learned that trick when i was a kid with toys that idled at 1100+ rpm,and still do it to this day.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
Torque convertor is always spinning if the engines running. What happens if you pop it into neutral as you're coasting to a stop,then put it back in gear when the light changes. I'm in the habit of popping everything i own into neutral as i'm coming to a stop,even the truck,then pop them back into gear when i need it in gear,learned that trick when i was a kid with toys that idled at 1100+ rpm,and still do it to this day.

Ahh ok. It always spins. Could be a lock up issue maybe?
So, you truck has the same issue?

Putting it in neutral every time seems like a PITA.. lol

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Ahh ok. It always spins. Could be a lock up issue maybe?
So, you truck has the same issue?

Putting it in neutral every time seems like a PITA.. lol
Can't say as i've ever thought popping things into neautral when coming to a stop is a pita ;) Try it out and see how your transmission operates

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca