2018 RAM 2500 4x4 Tradesman - Shocks, gas mileage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A lot of the OP's comments probably stem from them previously driving 1500 trucks. You will find the 2500 version trucks riding rougher, getting lower MPG, and less "pep" than a 1500 truck.

For the ride quality, the 2500 has a much heavier/stiffer suspension, a solid front axle vs. IFS, and stiffer tires. I think using the term "bouncy" is very subjective and likely nothing out of the ordinary.

For MPG and pep, you have a truck that is at least 1,000 lbs. heavier overall, has a heavier drivetrain and tires so more rotational resistance, and sits higher so more aerodynamic drag. For rotational mass, putting 100 lbs. of weight in the bed isn't noticeable but add 100 lbs. of rotational mass (tires, wheels, driveshafts, etc...) and it will make a noticable difference.

JS4024

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
On the road empty, I get 16, around down 11. Towing ... 9500lbs around I get about 9, depends on terrain. 2019 2500 6.4. Someone once told me don't buy a HD truck and then complain about the gas mileage...just sayin.... lol I think your tires are over inflated. I run my fronts at 60 and rears at 65. Seems just fine.

spoon059

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
The yellow and blue shocks are Bilstein 4500's. They may have come off a Power Wagon. They are extremely stiff. I changed mine out for 5100's and the ride improved a lot.
On my 2016 Power Wagon, fuel mileage is consistently 12-13 mpg not towing. I only have 10,000 miles on the truck so far.
The 4600 and 5100 are essentially identical, except the 5100 gives you the option of a lift/level. Ride shouldn't have changed AT ALL going between those two.

irnwkrkev

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Factory 4600's seem to be painted stock shocks (They don't take an Allen key to hold the shift when tightening).

I had take-off 4600's installed on my 2014 2500 ctd. After installing Bilsteins lift springs and 5100's up front the ride quality increased tremendously.

When the 5100 rear shocks arrived they made a noticeable difference compared to the factory 4600's.

RAZ175

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L
The 4600 and 5100 are essentially identical, except the 5100 gives you the option of a lift/level. Ride shouldn't have changed AT ALL going between those two.
The shocks on a 2500 are separate from the springs and do not provide any lift. They are not like the 1500 strut assembly. When I removed the 4600's from my truck, I could barely get them to compress with my weight directly above them, where the 5100's were much easier to compress. The ride improved a lot, especially on sharp edged transitions and washboards.

Mr Rich

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I've owned my truck since new and I have 42K miles on the odo at this time. I think the 13-14 mpg I get is a gift. Years ago during my working career I had a Chev 2500HD utility truck with a 6.0L engine. That truck got 10 mpg no matter the driving conditions were. I have no complaints at all with the performance and mileage of this HD2500 Ram. A couple of weeks ago I topped off my tank in Hesperia and drove down to Yucaipa. It was mostly all downhill driving. When I got off the freeway I think the EVIC indicated 22 mpg. It was as high as 25 mpg during the trip. Once I was driving around town (in the hills) it got down to a more normal 13-14 mpg. I also have a small single axle utility trailer that I haul and I probably get 11-12 mpg when I pull that around. For a big truck I think my mileage is pretty darn good.

OP
OP
DarbyOhara

DarbyOhara

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 2500 Tradesman Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
6.4L V8 OHV 16V FI Engine w/VVT
Thanks again everyone for your replies and feedback. Since this is my first HD 2500, it relieves me a little to know that the gas mileage is about normal. My concern was that I purchased this truck used with a lot of miles on it for the year, if you consider the typical insurance est. of around 1200 miles per year. I been searching a long time for HD truck and knew I couldn't afford 60k plus for a newer one with low mileage. I also didn't want anything with over 100k either. It also seemed like since Jan 2019, everybody and their brother was looking for HD truck around the country. lol! This was a 2018 2500 4x4 Tradesman w/ 52k miles that I found for under $40k. I got top dollar for my 2019 Ram 1500 Warlock trade and jumped on it. Happy with the purchase, but didn't know it drank gas. Yes, I would have liked to find a diesel, but as others noted, you pay much more. We bought a new 26' travel trailer that we plan to haul occasionally. So I guess I need to plan a bit more gas money for any trip budget. Donations are deeply appreciated... lol. Just kidding. Thanks again.

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Thanks again everyone for your replies and feedback. Since this is my first HD 2500, it relieves me a little to know that the gas mileage is about normal. My concern was that I purchased this truck used with a lot of miles on it for the year, if you consider the typical insurance est. of around 1200 miles per year. I been searching a long time for HD truck and knew I couldn't afford 60k plus for a newer one with low mileage. I also didn't want anything with over 100k either. It also seemed like since Jan 2019, everybody and their brother was looking for HD truck around the country. lol! This was a 2018 2500 4x4 Tradesman w/ 52k miles that I found for under $40k. I got top dollar for my 2019 Ram 1500 Warlock trade and jumped on it. Happy with the purchase, but didn't know it drank gas. Yes, I would have liked to find a diesel, but as others noted, you pay much more. We bought a new 26' travel trailer that we plan to haul occasionally. So I guess I need to plan a bit more gas money for any trip budget. Donations are deeply appreciated... lol. Just kidding. Thanks again.

I don’t think you would have got any better fuel mileage out of the 1500 while pulling your camper. When I had my 1500 the 5.7 did great pulling my camper but the fuel mileage wasn’t any better doing it. The 6.4 just handles it better with less effort. You definitely made the right decision buying a 2500 to pull your camper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bldrinker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I got 5.7mpg yesterday. But it got my big ass trailer where it needed to go so it is what it is.
Took Sherwin grade at 40mph at 4000rpm

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
I actually get better mileage with my 2500 6.4 4.10's towing my sons 8000lb TT than I did when I towed it with my 2013 1500 5.7 with 3.55's. Roughly 2 MPG better with the 6.4. The 5.7 has to work much harder. I towed it once with my 1500 on a 150 mile trip and got about 6.5-7.0. Get about 8.0-8.5 with the 2500.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks again everyone for your replies and feedback. Since this is my first HD 2500, it relieves me a little to know that the gas mileage is about normal. My concern was that I purchased this truck used with a lot of miles on it for the year, if you consider the typical insurance est. of around 1200 miles per year.
12,000 miles per year is pretty low for most people from my experience. Between the 4-banger car I drive to and from work and my PW I put around 20,000 miles per year on vehicles, and that is just what a I consider a moderate 58 mile round trip to work and make a couple hundred mile round trip with the PW every 3-4 months....and that is taking the minivan just about anytime we go on any family outings or even out to eat.

OP
OP
DarbyOhara

DarbyOhara

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Your truck must have already had the tpms thresholds lowered so your lucky there. I had to use alpha obd to lower mine. I typically run 54 lbs all the way around and it's a big difference. Good luck sir.

ok, and update. I lowerd the rear tires to 57 psi and man what a difference that made in the ride over bumps and railroad tracks. So I think that really helped. However, now I am getting the tpms error on those rear tires. I guess the previous owner had the front settings adjusted, but the rear wants 70psi.

So I looked up the alpha obd and I can not find it. Whittling thru tons of youtubes about this, it appears that the tpms settings were easy to change on RAM's up to 2017. 2018 and higher doesn't seem like it is possible. I even watched one video that stated even ram service can't change it. So I am confused. I searched amazon for OBD to change tpms and tons of them come up, but I am so confused.

Will this do the trick for my RAM?

https://www.amazon.com/OBDLink-Blue...tic-Performance/dp/B07JFRFJG6?ref_=ast_sto_dp

The device along with the adapter cable is $150. I can't see to make the purchase if it isn't going to work. Also, will I still need the 4 digit security code to access with this? And can I get that code without going to the dealer service. I live in a very rural area and their service are always too busy to just pull in and have something done. You have to make an appt, which could be many days. And after a few visits and chats with them, it doesn't seem like they are very helpful on things like this. Remember, they are the ones that told me my truck doesn't look lifted or leveled, and the blue shocks are not manufactured stock. Hope someone can help!

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
I believe.....18 and up can use alpha, but you need the security bypass cable to unlock the settings.

If you contact Alexey from alpha obd I am sure he can assist.

I believe i have all 4 of mine lowered to 48 or 46 psi. (Thresholds)

There is a procedure and sequence that must be followed however. All of the details are in the alpha obd forum on this website. Check it out. Lots of good info and reading material there. Good luck man.

OP
OP
DarbyOhara

DarbyOhara

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I believe.....18 and up can use alpha, but you need the security bypass cable to unlock the settings.

If you contact Alexey from alpha obd I am sure he can assist.

I believe i have all 4 of mine lowered to 48 or 46 psi. (Thresholds)

There is a procedure and sequence that must be followed however. All of the details are in the alpha obd forum on this website. Check it out. Lots of good info and reading material there. Good luck man.

I watched a couple of videos related to my truck/year/model installing the bypass. easy peasy! So I ordered the bypass cable from m2Mod's website. I also ordered the OBDLink from amazon. Once I get both of them, then I will look into getting the alpha obd software. For the tpms, it doesn't seem like I need that 4 digit security code at all. And I've seen quite a few threads on here about the alpha obd, but there isn't a forum just for it that I am aware of...

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
I know there was talk of it and I'd have sworn I saw it somewhere, but I can't find it either now. However, yes you absolutely do need the 4 digit pin from the dealer to access either the bcm or rf hub, one or the other, I can't remember anymore.

I believe there is a program you can purchase to pull it but that costs extra.

OP
OP
DarbyOhara

DarbyOhara

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know there was talk of it and I'd have sworn I saw it somewhere, but I can't find it either now. However, yes you absolutely do need the 4 digit pin from the dealer to access either the bcm or rf hub, one or the other, I can't remember anymore.

I believe there is a program you can purchase to pull it but that costs extra.

Well phooey! Guess I'll have to look into getting the 4 digit code then.

Another issue I am troubled with is the Alpha OBD app. I went to the playstore to see the cost and it is $49. The app claims it is mainly for Alfa Romeo/Fiat cars. It does also dodge ram. Is there different versions of the app? Am I getting the right app to work with the OBDLink + and security bypass cable?

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Well phooey! Guess I'll have to look into getting the 4 digit code then.

Another issue I am troubled with is the Alpha OBD app. I went to the playstore to see the cost and it is $49. The app claims it is mainly for Alfa Romeo/Fiat cars. It does also dodge ram. Is there different versions of the app? Am I getting the right app to work with the OBDLink + and security bypass cable?

Do your research to confirm, but yes that should be correct. I believe that is what it says (models applies to). I believe that is what I paid for my copy of alphaobd, plus the cost of the obd link. I got the bluetooth/wireless one and it worked well.

If you have tech issues, contact Alexey, he was very helpful when I had issues connecting and such

Here is what I have:

https://www.alfaobd.com/index.html

https://www.obdlink.com/products/obdlink-mxp/?ref=alfaobd

Contact for Alexey

[email protected]

Last edited:
OP
OP
DarbyOhara

DarbyOhara

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes, I emailed Alexey and he replied by the next day. He said the playstore app was compatible to my 2018 RAM 2500. I also just got the OBDLink MX+. Since I have the 2018, I also had to order the security bypass cable which should be here in a few days. I'll be so glad to get rid of that annoying warning about the rear tire pressure.

After I resolve this, my next issue will be with the spring/coil. Someone looked at my pics I posted and may think it is possibly bent. It could be just the bad angle of the pic, but I may have to deal with the Ram service on that one.

Brian2081

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You have the stock springs installed and they are fine. They are not bent / bowed. If you want to confirm if the truck is leveled or not just measure from the driveway to the top of the wheel well opening. There should be about 2 - 2.5 inch difference between front and rear.

OP
OP
DarbyOhara

DarbyOhara

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Folks, I need help with a decent app to simply change/delete the tpms threshold. I tried a zillion times to purchase the alphaOBD app from playstore only to constantly get an error [OR-IEH-01]. I struggled thru google help and there is just no way to get help other then get constant loops of no help. I HATE google!

Anyway, on the alphaOBD app feedback, one guy said there is another free OBD app that can do simple things w/o the security bypass. but he doesn't say which app it is. I tried OBDLink app and it doesn't seem to work for tpms. I also tried OBD JScan and when I hit the tire pressure icon, it tells me I need a security bypass, even though I have the bypass hooked up, so I think it wants me to also purchase. Does anyone know of a free OBD app I can use just to simply change my tpms error? I wouldn't mind paying, but google playstore will not let me add a payment method. I keep getting that error. Anyone help?