2018 Sport or Limited Purchase - worthy dealer $ add-ons?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jbprof

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Which dealer add-ons (pushed by the finance guy or sales rep) do you consider worthwhile to pay the dealer upcharge? Which are a waste?
a) Spray-in bedliner (if not factory optioned) seems worth it to me
b) I'll likely do an extended warranty thru Clay Robbins or similar
c) others?

thanks for the advice!

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Non factory spray in bed liner is way better then the factory stuff. Make sure you get a good one like Line X.

Purplert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’d go and have my own liner sprayed by Line X and pay out of pocket versus probably some cheap 3rd party crap the dealer probably uses and will probably charge you way more then what they pay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

88ROOK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Non factory spray in bed liner is way better then the factory stuff. Make sure you get a good one like Line X.

who does a "factory" spray in liner, for what i know they sub contract that stuff out with local vendors

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
who does a "factory" spray in liner, for what i know they sub contract that stuff out with local vendors

Don't know who does it, whether it's the factory or some place they send it to before shipping out the truck to the dealership. It's still not as good as going to the Line X installer and having them do it after you buy the truck.

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
All Rams at all plants (1500, HD's) all go off site to the "upfitter" to get their spray in liner if ordered. They are just down the road, but it's a process. Same for side steps and some other stuff. Which is why the truck will get held up a couple weeks. The "factory" liners are actually impeccable quality and are just as durable as anything else you could get.

88ROOK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Don't know who does it, whether it's the factory or some place they send it to before shipping out the truck to the dealership. It's still not as good as going to the Line X installer and having them do it after you buy the truck.

so if they send it to a line-x dealer before you get the truck its not as good???? because thats what they do

88ROOK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
All Rams at all plants (1500, HD's) all go off site to the "upfitter" to get their spray in liner if ordered. They are just down the road, but it's a process. Same for side steps and some other stuff. Which is why the truck will get held up a couple weeks. The "factory" liners are actually impeccable quality and are just as durable as anything else you could get.

sorry but not all rams get that treatment. my dealer sends his to the local guy to have it done

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
sorry but not all rams get that treatment. my dealer sends his to the local guy to have it done

They do if they are ordered from the factory with the spray in bed liner..... what your dealer does would be consider a dealer add on.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If a dealer, or the factory for that matter, has something added to the truck, I assume that it would be done by whoever quoted the lowest bid. IMHO sometimes that may or may not affect the quality of whatever is added. I only know one thing for certain---everytime I get on an elevator and the door closes the first thing I think is this was installed and maintained by someone that gave the "low bid"----"pay your money and take your chances". :D
Jay

88ROOK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

true if so ordered, but the OP is talking about dealer add-ons

88ROOK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If a dealer, or the factory for that matter, has something added to the truck, I assume that it would be done by whoever quoted the lowest bid. IMHO sometimes that may or may not affect the quality of whatever is added. I only know one thing for certain---everytime I get on an elevator and the door closes the first thing I think is this was installed and maintained by someone that gave the "low bid"----"pay your money and take your chances". :D
Jay

i would think that most dealers wouldnt be like this, just for the simple fact it reflects on them if something is wrong(but theres some shady dealers out there). also if its dealer add-on you could say you dont want so and so product and would prefer it be line-x

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
I was only bringing up the factory liner because someone asked about where it's done. If the truck wasn't ordered with it, then yeah, the dealer can do anything they please with it and charge whatever they want.

If the truck was not ordered with a spray in liner, I would personally take it to Line X and have them do it, vs a dealer add on. Just make sure Line X doesn't spray it on too thick or you can get issues with the tailgate not closing.

Purplert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They never forget the bottom line IMHO
Jay

This... all about profit. Generally sales and service work separate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

BTD07

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had my dealer add side steps, spray in liner, and tint at the percent I requested. But I negotiated those after we came to a price I signed on, so they were free. The liner is good, not great. Some overspray on the back of the cab, tiny specs that arent noticeable to anyone but me, and they also sprayed over almost every screw so it kind of deemed them useless. I think about those things, but then I think about how it was free, and I am fine with it.

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's all kind of moot. Getting bedliner is a " i'll buy the truck at this price, if you throw in the bed liner for me ". That's what I did. Keep in mind though ( aside from don't buy that from them please ) everything that guy tries to sell you can be negotiated. Get some better tires, and work him on the price. Make it seem like you won't move forward if they can't help you out with the price. It's a good way to get some stuff for a decent price.

Jstmahoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 5.7 Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
5.7 hemi
My truck came from the factory with spray in liner. It seems to be pretty tough, reminds me of line x. A few of the other trucks I looked at had them done at the line x shop literally across from the dealer. You can see it from the dealer lot. I’m assuming if I ended up with a truck that had no liner I could of had them work it into the deal to have line x shop do it. But I live in a small(ish) town and its more about helping out local businesses.

Also, I got an extended warranty through my insurance company. I paid for No dealer Add ons, in my opinion they are just gonna rip you off. Plus I purposely got a truck that had everything I wanted on it, because I didn’t wanna have to deal with adding things on. Unless you work it into your deal before hand. If your set on having line x call some of the dealers in your area and get some price quotes so you’ll know if they are ripping you off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Deki

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Every factory spray in liner I've had has been great, and perfectly installed. I have also had two line-x liner and one was perfect the other had over spray on the back bumper.