2018 vs 2019 - Which to get?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TennVol

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
First off, hello to everyone as I'm new to the forum.

I am in the market for a gently used Power Wagon and I am trying to decide beween a 2018 or a 2019. I realize one is a Gen 4 and the other is a Gen 5. What are the differences between the two and other than being a year newer, are there any significant advantages the Gen 5 has over the Gen 4?

Thanks for any feedback!

chadder1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I’ll be honest, the $10-15k less you’re gonna spend it’s hard to just ***** at it. The 18s are great and you can save quite a bit on them compared to the 19s. If you have to have the 8spd trans, all the newer bells and whistles, a newer style winch go with the 19. Both trucks are equally capable but if it were my money I’d find a 18 within the $30k - $37k range and with the money saved take it to the next level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine

I am in the market for a gently used Power Wagon and I am trying to decide beween a 2018 or a 2019. I realize one is a Gen 4 and the other is a Gen 5. What are the differences between the two and other than being a year newer, are there any significant advantages the Gen 5 has over the Gen 4?

Thanks for any feedback!

For me it was:
Warranty
headlights
winch
leveled front to accommodate 37s
12" screen
better interest rate
and the tranny ( the main reason)

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
2019. You can not easily swap the tranny and everything else is just slightly better.

Going 2019, you might actually be better off buying new.

If buying used and money is an issue, you would be better of to search a 2017.

If you aren't after the Powerwagon look...even better deal would be a 2014 and up Tradesman with Powerwagon package...that said...buy a new 2020 Tradesman with Powerwagon package.

That is what I would do, except #8FOOTBED

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
No one has asked this yet...........What's your budget? What are your must haves? I like the 8 speed option and the synthetic winch cable and slightly higher front end. You have to go the rotary shifter with the 19's. Anything below 18 doesn't have car play or android auto and it's kind of expensive to get it. Good luck finding an 18 in the 37 or lower range. They just aren't out there unless you are getting pretty high in mileage or there is something wrong. Unless they just tanked in the past few months. I paid 42 with 23000 miles on my one year old 18. That's no leather but most of the other options. Just let us know your must haves and budget and we'll steer you in the right direction. If gas mileage is important I'd get one with the 8 speed.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A couple months ago I was shopping for a PW and looked at both new 2019's and used models. The biggest thing with the 19's was the 8-speed transmission. There are a few more minor changes and upgrades that occurred in '19 but the transmission was the big thing. The thing I found was that used PW's are few and far between, at least here in the midwest. I shopped around for close to 2 months and only found a total of 9 used PW's that were 2016 or newer within a 200 mile radius. Finally settled on a very clean and low mileage 2016 that I found 30 minutes away....saved almost $20k after all was said and done even considering the huge rebates they were offering on new ones at the time. However you do need to consider interest rates between a new vs. used vehicle.

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
At least in Tennessee you have a choice of a 2018 or 2019. AWD or 4WD (4x4) are just 33% of registered vehicles in your state.

Approximately 7 of 10 registered vehicles on the road around here are AWD or 4x4. When it snows, the ones that aren't AWD or 4x4's on our mountainous portions of the Interstate highways are the death wishers, rental cars and out of state drivers. Power Wagons and other full sized 4x4 pickups sell for a premium price due to the popularity.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/29956...ggest-fans-of-four-wheel-drive-by-the-numbers

"Combined popularity of AWD or 4WD by state, ranked below by the percentage of registered vehicles which use these drive types.

1. 71.8: Montana
  2. 70.9: Alaska
  3. 70.1: Wyoming
  4. 67.8: North Dakota
  5. 67.8: Vermont
  6. 66.1: South Dakota
  7. 65.7: West Virginia
  8. 65.7: Maine
  9. 64.7: Colorado
  10. 63.4: Idaho"
Tennessee is #38.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
‘19 without a question! Mainly for the 8 speed trans.

If you want to travel, I could make you a good deal on a lightly used ‘16 laramie power wagon with 37k miles :D

ttusomeone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I can't add much to what others have said other than personally, I like the front end/headlight area much better on the '19 than the '18. The other stuff is nice too. If you were asking about a '19 and a '20, then I'd say '19 since you're likely to get a better deal.

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
‘19 without a question! Mainly for the 8 speed trans.

If you want to travel, I could make you a good deal on a lightly used ‘16 laramie power wagon with 37k miles :D
it is too bad that "chrome won't get you home", or I would inquire haha:joke:

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
apparently he's too busy to listen to our suggestions. LOL.

PW18USMC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4

Thanks for any feedback!

My two pennies would be the 18. When I was looking, I chose as you said "a gently used 18 (4218 miles). I just purchased it this past December. I could have purchased a new one with some of the upgrades, but didn't. The reason I chose the 18 over 2019-20 was because of the 4x4 shifter on the floor (old school) versus up on the dash area integrated with the knob transmission shifter. The 18's and below shifter are on the column. The extra ponies/torque and towing with 8 speed on the 19's were not worth giving up these now older features. I guess to some, the 8 speed is a big deal. For me, no biggy. I know the 6 speed will do just fine. Maybe a little better gas mileage with the 8 speed. Really though? Who actually buys a PW for better gas mileage? I didn't buy my PW to tow or get 20 plus miles per gallon. Just sayn, It's an offroad beast! Good luck with your decision and purchase.

Last edited:

RisingSons

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
The 4x4 shifter in a 2019 is also on the floor. And, depending on your financial situation, OP, I’d go with the 2019 over the 2018. The eight speed, updated front end, updated (to some degree) interior = better resale value down the road, no matter when that is, over the 2018. And it’s just a better truck, IMO... though the 2018 is very good too, especially if it best fits your budget.

My two pennies would be the 18. When I was looking, I chose as you said "a gently used 18 (4218 miles). I just purchased it this past December. I could have purchased a new one with some of the upgrades, but didn't. The reason I chose the 18 over 2019-20 was because of the 4x4 shifter on the floor (old school) versus up on the dash area integrated with the knob transmission shifter. The 18's and below shifter are on the column. The extra ponies/torque and towing with 8 speed on the 19's were not worth giving up these now older features. I guess to some, the 8 speed is a big deal. For me, no biggy. I know the 6 speed will do just fine. Maybe a little better gas mileage with the 8 speed. Really though? Who actually buys a PW for better gas mileage? I didn't buy my PW to tow or get 20 plus miles per gallon. Just sayn, It's an offroad beast! Good luck with your decision and purchase.

OP
OP
TennVol

TennVol

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I ended up buying a certified, pre-owned 2018 w/ 16K miles that already had some of the aftermarket add-ons I was going to purchase anyway. It also had the Alpine sound system that sounds absolutey great! Plus, I got a great loan rate from USAA. Thanks for all of the input/suggestions. I've been really busy with other things to spend much time on the board. There weren't too many choices for used PWs around here, but I found this one about 75 miles west of here. My last truck was stolen in Atlanta on or about 10 Jan, and my rental vehicle (Ram 1500) had to be turned in so I really wanted to find a replacement fairly quickly. I found this one on Sunday, 9 Feb and bought it the next day.

We moved here from Colorado Springs after living there for 15 years and we hope to move back there next year. (long story - don't ask). This truck will be perfect for driving/hunting anywhere back home, but here in East TN, it is a bit of overkill. What the hell, it's only money - right?

56PW17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I ended up buying a certified, pre-owned 2018 w/ 16K miles that already had some of the aftermarket add-ons I was going to purchase anyway. It also had the Alpine sound system that sounds absolutey great! Plus, I got a great loan rate from USAA. Thanks for all of the input/suggestions. I've been really busy with other things to spend much time on the board. There weren't too many choices for used PWs around here, but I found this one about 75 miles west of here. My last truck was stolen in Atlanta on or about 10 Jan, and my rental vehicle (Ram 1500) had to be turned in so I really wanted to find a replacement fairly quickly. I found this one on Sunday, 9 Feb and bought it the next day.

We moved here from Colorado Springs after living there for 15 years and we hope to move back there next year. (long story - don't ask). This truck will be perfect for driving/hunting anywhere back home, but here in East TN, it is a bit of overkill. What the hell, it's only money - right?
Good luck with your new purchase. Really exciting you might be able to get home soon and test out the truck!!