2019 4x4 Limited lost #8 cylinder

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

southbound37

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4x4 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've owned a 2012 Laramie, a 2016 Laramie and now a 2019 4x4 Limited. Went to vote this month with 800mi on my truck when it began to shake like it had a bent rim and running ruff.After I voted and started the truck my check engine light came on.After calling the dealer and taking it to them found out #8 cylinder had no compression at all.They worked on my new $60,000 + trucks Hemi 5.7 engine the next mourning called me and said it had a rod come loose.I wondered why I wasn't getting but 11 mpg until the repair.After the fix my mpg have made it to 20 mpg.The reason for this post is in case this has happened to anyone else I would like to know and this could be a place to talk about it.

mboymopar

MOPAR
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Sport
Engine
345 HEMI
I've owned a 2012 Laramie, a 2016 Laramie and now a 2019 4x4 Limited. Went to vote this month with 800mi on my truck when it began to shake like it had a bent rim and running ruff.After I voted and started the truck my check engine light came on.After calling the dealer and taking it to them found out #8 cylinder had no compression at all.They worked on my new $60,000 + trucks Hemi 5.7 engine the next mourning called me and said it had a rod come loose.I wondered why I wasn't getting but 11 mpg until the repair.After the fix my mpg have made it to 20 mpg.The reason for this post is in case this has happened to anyone else I would like to know and this could be a place to talk about it.

That's a nice bump in mpg.

TruckNut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Substitute “spark plug wire” for connecting rod.

DwnDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
LOL.... Service adviser had no idea what he was reading or told. If a rod came loose, you'd have noticed a lot more than a slight decrease in mileage... And with all the new computer stuff its a bit odd the truck didn't come up with a CEL and go into limp mode. There is no way a ROD came loose... Likely a coil went bad. It does seem odd they claim no compression. Although to be fair, thats probably just what the scanner told the tech, they probably didn't physically check the compression. LOL

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Loss of compression could also be a plug came loose, maybe thats what he meant? Ive seen a plug come out and cause 0 compression issue but a Rod coming loose that would be a noisy problem.

smithwessn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Maybe a rocker "came loose" on a push rod, as opposed to a connecting rod "coming loose" from the crank.