2019 RAM 1500: more scoop...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mr.AK902

Reaction score
Ram Year
17'
Engine
Redesigns every 2 years do not look good for a brand. Fanboys give Ram crap for having "such an old truck". The truck has only increased in sales every year and overall is a better product than the GMs. I would not be interested in buying a Ford or Chevy. Their "Redesign it every 2 years theory" is also probably hurting people's resale values. Resale is another reason people think about switching brands. If you buy a new truck and next model year it is obsolete, you will lose resale fast. A lot of people want the next best thing, so they get suckered in by Chevy to trade in, lose money, and then before they can blink another "new" truck is out. Imagine people who bought 2014 Silverado's on the "first" redesign. They are now on what, 3rd new truck already since then. Lol.

Why would I want to buy the new Silverado when, if history is anything to go by, it will be redesigned by 2021.

Silverado's design has been ALL over the place since 2014. I don't even know what the hell I'm looking at any more. The only thing they haven't touched is the interior, which is what needed the most attention.

I think the best thing they have coming is the I6 diesel. But who knows. Was surprised they made it a straight 6 honestly.
You hit the nail right on the head. I was a GM guy before coming over to Ram and I had a LONG list of things I wasn't happy with. Everything you mentioned sums it up nicely. GM has always lacked something somewhere, they just cant seem to pull it together.... not sure what they're thinking because they've had potential for sure.

This new 3.0 Duramax with a 10 spd will likely be a hit for them, but even so I can't understand there logic there. The 4.5 litre V8 duramax they had planned and shelved in 2008/2009 had to have cost them millions if not more in $$$. Why they didn't bring that engine into play for those new design is very strange. Would have been a matter of revisiting it quickly, and signing some paper to go into production really. I guess with big government bail outs and the #2 spot in sales they've got money to burn, cause they hermeraged from the pocket on the 4.5L Duramax all to create a shelf ornament in todays world....

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I seen they mention the 19 rebel gets new borg warner 48-11 and 48-12 transfer cases. Anyone know if this is across the board or rebel only? Also any info in comparison to the current cases?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
They will be across the board different than 4th gen. According to a good source who told me this months ago there was not going to be carry over of the recent offerings.

01Ram2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
After reading most of the posts on this thread I have the following comments:
* Love the new truck design inside and out.
* I think they will sell like hotcakes and I would be willing to bet a good number of the haters on this forum will be driving one in a year or two.
* I love the 5.7L/A8 combo on my 2014. Flawless so far. Does not bother me that there are no major changes to the drive train.
* Would not want the hybrid option. Glad it appears to be optional on some 5.7L models.
* Love the new space age tech and touch screen. However, this could be a source 1st year issues.
* Surprised that they made the 5th Gen 4 doors even longer than 4th gen trucks. I had to buy the regular cab to fit the truck into my garage although I wanted a Quad Cab. I think that Ram has made sure that most of the new trucks will be parked outside.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
I will say this, the more I read about the 19s the more I know I hope my current truck last for many many years.

While I dont care for the looks of it the main thing for me is all the crap I mean tech they put on them, they do not sound like they will be reliable for long term to me.
I would rather have a simple truck kinda like I have now, the less computers the better. :)

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
* I think they will sell like hotcakes and I would be willing to bet a good number of the haters on this forum will be driving one in a year or two.
Although I would never consider myself a hater in the proverbial sense because I’ve loved the Ram/Mopar/Chrysler brand ever since falling in love with my first Dodge, my 1996 Dakota, but this is one Ram owner that won’t be driving one of these....things... in a year or two, or even longer than that as a matter of fact and it’s not because I just bought a brand new 2018 prior to the debut of the 5th-Gen. If I would have waited, I would’ve just considered it as time well wasted and bought a 4th-Gen as previously planned.

Maybe this design won’t last 10 years...

* Surprised that they made the 5th Gen 4 doors even longer than 4th gen trucks. I had to buy the regular cab to fit the truck into my garage although I wanted a Quad Cab. I think that Ram has made sure that most of the new trucks will be parked outside.
I figured they woulda just made the bed a little shorter and not lengthen the cab so much to keep relatively the same frame length but luckily they didn’t do that since the current 5-7 bed is like right at the threshold of being too short.

I wish I had a garage to park my truck in, especially in tornado/hail season but hell, it’s a truck, it don’t need a garage I guess...lol. Especially if I had to cut the truck shorter just to fit it in there. If I had actually needed the longer bed on mine and didn’t care about having such a longer truck, I wouldn’t have let a short garage stop me from buying what I wanted/needed but that’s just me.

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
You hit the nail right on the head. I was a GM guy before coming over to Ram and I had a LONG list of things I wasn't happy with. Everything you mentioned sums it up nicely. GM has always lacked something somewhere, they just cant seem to pull it together.... not sure what they're thinking because they've had potential for sure.

This new 3.0 Duramax with a 10 spd will likely be a hit for them, but even so I can't understand there logic there. The 4.5 litre V8 duramax they had planned and shelved in 2008/2009 had to have cost them millions if not more in $$$. Why they didn't bring that engine into play for those new design is very strange. Would have been a matter of revisiting it quickly, and signing some paper to go into production really. I guess with big government bail outs and the #2 spot in sales they've got money to burn, cause they hermeraged from the pocket on the 4.5L Duramax all to create a shelf ornament in todays world....

Yeah I don't know. I have always liked GM and still think they build some great American products. But as you said, it's like they are just ALWAYS missing a big chunk of the puzzle some where lol. It's like they showed up to the party with toilet paper stuck to their foot.

Cadillac is another good example. They have done a lot to up their rep against the Germans. But then they cheap out on interior materials. The CT6 has some BAD plastics and just not on the level. Even the new Lincolns put the Cadi interiors to shame. If you want to beat the Germans you have to be BETTER than they are every where.

That's why I love Mopar. They say F it. We're America and we aren't going to try and be German or Japanese. We will built 5500 pound beasts that will beat you on the strip. And we will build a Viper that will beat you on the track. But we aren't trying to be something we aren't.

01Ram2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
this is one Ram owner that won’t be driving one of these....things... in a year or two, or even longer than that as a matter of fact. I wish I had a garage to park my truck in, especially in tornado/hail season but hell, it’s a truck, it don’t need a garage I guess

If I am still alive, I will check back with you in 2 years and see if you still feel the same way about the 5th Gen trucks. Who knows, somebody might steal yours (I certainly hope not) and put you back in the market for a new truck.

At this point in my life, a garage is an absolute essential item for any house I might buy. The weather is one reason but theft and vandalism are even better reasons. We live in a nice neighborhood but we have had thieves who come from outside the area break into cars parked outside almost every month for years. I am simply not willing to expose my expensive equipment to this sort of risk. Cameras seem to make no difference at all to these criminals. Last month we had one house where the thief broke into the residents new Ford F-150 and Grand Cherokee. All filmed on his video system with clear shots of thief's face. Has not been caught and I suspect never will be.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
If I am still alive, I will check back with you in 2 years and see if you still feel the same way about the 5th Gen trucks. Who knows, somebody might steal yours (I certainly hope not) and put you back in the market for a new truck.

At this point in my life, a garage is an absolute essential item for any house I might buy. The weather is one reason but theft and vandalism are even better reasons. We live in a nice neighborhood but we have had thieves who come from outside the area break into cars parked outside almost every month for years. I am simply not willing to expose my expensive equipment to this sort of risk. Cameras seem to make no difference at all to these criminals. Last month we had one house where the thief broke into the residents new Ford F-150 and Grand Cherokee. All filmed on his video system with clear shots of thief's face. Has not been caught and I suspect never will be.

Don’t talk that way.. we hope you are still alive in two years. I can say i plan on keeping my 2016, but who knows I can’t seem to keep vehicles for the long run

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You do that...[emoji41] I hardly, highly doubt my opinion will change regardless of theft, tornado, etc... but I guess if it came down to it, one wouldn’t have a choice, now would they?
Oh I’d love to have a garage, no doubt about that but merely my point was, I wouldn’t be basing the size of my garage on the size/configuration of the truck I want. If it had to park outside because it don’t fit, then so be it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Don’t talk that way.. we hope you are still alive in two years. I can say i plan on keeping my 2016, but who knows I can’t seem to keep vehicles for the long run
I do pretty good here lately. I coulda kept my 08 but it was just age really that made we want to get rid of it. Loved the looks, it’s just more/less creature comforts than anything. That, and seizing the opportunity to buy one brand new that no one had ever owned. Plus I like the 4th gens too. I love my new truck. I hope to still be loving it when 2028 rolls around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

01Ram2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi

I will be very happy if I am still alive in 2 years. I have been fighting Stage 4 Lymphoma since Jan 2014. Nothing seems to keep it away for long and after each treatment failure, they try something new. Still here and still doing what I love to do within the unavoidable limitations. I will never give up.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
I will be very happy if I am still alive in 2 years. I have been fighting Stage 4 Lymphoma since Jan 2014. Nothing seems to keep it away for long and after each treatment failure, they try something new. Still here and still doing what I love to do within the unavoidable limitations. I will never give up.

Oh damn man sorry to hear that. From chargerforum i knew you were battling something but didnt know the severity. You are in my thoughts. I hope you can get past it

01Ram2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Oh damn man sorry to hear that. From chargerforum i knew you were battling something but didnt know the severity. You are in my thoughts. I hope you can get past it

Thank you sir. The good news is that I could not be getting better care. H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa is on the cutting edge of the science involved. There are some really promising trials coming up. I will probably be a candidate for one of them this year. Thanks again.

Dave

O.R.T.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Damn Dave, like Quietpeen said, some of us knew you were handling something but sheesh! Prayers sent, I've had to see cancer up close and personal on both sides of my Wife's and my family. **** CANCER! Prayers sent! Kick CANCER's ass!

01Ram2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Damn Dave, like Quietpeen said, some of us knew you were handling something but sheesh! Prayers sent, I've had to see cancer up close and personal on both sides of my Wife's and my family. **** CANCER! Prayers sent! Kick CANCER's ass!

Thank you sir. Appreciate the thoughts.

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
My wife and I both work in cancer research. Sorry to hear you are dealing with this. Keep fighting the mthr fckr.

Back on the subject of the new Ram, I am wondering when they are going to release the full website with configurations and "build your truck". I am curious to see pricing. Hope the big 12" Uconnect doesn't stop my heart, as I would probably want to order this in my next truck.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
My wife and I both work in cancer research. Sorry to hear you are dealing with this. Keep fighting the mthr fckr.

Back on the subject of the new Ram, I am wondering when they are going to release the full website with configurations and "build your truck". I am curious to see pricing. Hope the big 12" Uconnect doesn't stop my heart, as I would probably want to order this in my next truck.

it is only available in the laramie and limtied trims if that means anything to you.