2019 ram 1500 new style battery life ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sean McGillicuddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
With all these electronics in these new vehicles what is the life expediencies of a battery ?

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
Depends on your location hot south 3 years, mid Atlantic 5 years

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
“All these electronics” is the key phrase. Owners of the higher trim level trucks seem to post more about battery issues than owners like me. Lonestar/Big Horn w/relatively basic electronics. Mine was built in 04/19 & I’m still running the OEM battery.

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
My 2014 was 6 years old and was still working fine, but it did crank slow. But then again when not in use, I keep my vehicles on a battery tender.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
Depends on your location hot south 3 years, mid Atlantic 5 years
^^^^This. And now comes everyone to claim there's lasted wayyyyyy longer so this statement is untrue. It's true...It's avg life...Your chances of the battery taking a dump within 2yrs in a hot climate are greater than it not.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
With all these electronics in these new vehicles what is the life expediencies of a battery ?
The electronics don't run off the battery...They run off the electrical power generated by the alternator. When all your trips are short, the battery doesn't have sufficient time to recharge. When your engine speed is idle/near idle, and your A/C is on, your lights are on(especially halogens), etc., your alternator doesn't produce sufficient power to recharge the battery. When your cable connections are corroded, your battery doesn't properly recharge. As a result of these situations, your battery (a wet cell) exists in a discharged state (on some level) resulting in plaque build up on the internal plates, accelerating performance decline. Also, when some goober pops a new battery into the hole without properly fastening the battery hold down and replacing the heat shield insulation, the heat causes an acceleration of the plate degredation and the vibration eventually causes the paste to come off the plates, or the busbar to crack. So, in summary, "all these electronics" are not the issue...Keeping it fully charged and cared for, are.

OP
OP
Sean McGillicuddy

Sean McGillicuddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
New Battery installed by AAA .
So now the truck has to reset it's self I'm told...just drive it.

Wanted33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
New Battery installed by AAA .
So now the truck has to reset it's self I'm told...just drive it.

Probably, but that shouldn't be a problem. These dang new fangled electronics on new vehicles today just makes my big ol' dumb head hurt. I had my '67 Chevrolet out today, and it was so nice to raise the hood and see nothing but an engine. An engine I can actually work on myself, and is to dumb to not run as long as there's gas in the tank. lol

OP
OP
Sean McGillicuddy

Sean McGillicuddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So far everything has come back ..except the screens background color, It's red not blue//how do I reset that ?

SniperDroid

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
If your truck is equipped with the dreaded "Auto Engine Stop/Start" like my wife's jeep, then about three to 4 years is all you'll get from a battery. All the restarting the engine when your stopping at lights and signs wears it out faster.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 RAM Limited
Engine
5.7L HEMI
In my experience, batteries last a month or two after the warranty expires. The manufacturers really seem to have this dialed in. In the case of my 2019 RAM purchased in Aug 2018, the battery died in Aug 2021. I replaced it with a 36 month battery, so I expect I will have to replace it again in Aug or Sept, maybe Oct 2024. I live in SoCal for reference. Yes, if your battery dies or you otherwise disconnect it, the computer resets and you have to drive 100+ miles to reset it. So try not to have this happen before needing to get smogged on a vehicle. Side note, my Mom no longer drives but owns a 2002 Pontiac Firehawk. The battery died and I replaced it. The car is garaged and rarely gets driven. When the DMV renewal came in and said it had to be smogged, it failed since the computer had been reset. In that particular case, I had to put on almost 200 miles to reset the computer and pass smog. Ugh. Why in the world there isn't a simple CR2032 battery to keep the computer alive in our vehicles, I do not know.

brian42

Military
Reaction score
Mine died around the 3 year point.

Replaced with an X2 Power AGM (4-year full replacement warranty).

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
If your truck is equipped with the dreaded "Auto Engine Stop/Start" like my wife's jeep, then about three to 4 years is all you'll get from a battery. All the restarting the engine when your stopping at lights and signs wears it out faster.
Stop/start on these trucks is not the same as the system on the Jeeps. For stop/start operation on a Ram 1500, the engine is restarted using the etorque generator and 48v battery. There is no extra use of the 12v main battery or main starter motor. Having etorque will not cause the main battery to wear out faster.

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
You all are funny, my entire life revolves around technology. I welcome all the gadgets.

SniperDroid

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Stop/start on these trucks is not the same as the system on the Jeeps. For stop/start operation on a Ram 1500, the engine is restarted using the etorque generator and 48v battery. There is no extra use of the 12v main battery or main starter motor. Having etorque will not cause the main battery to wear out faster.
So there is no Stop/Start system available without the eTorqe package? Doesn't the standard engine have available Stop/Start?
Not that I would want it on a truck, I'm just curious as to what else could cause the main 12v battery to die out. On the Jeep we first saw warnings that the Stop/Start was inactive due to the battery still charging.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
So there is no Stop/Start system available without the eTorqe package? Doesn't the standard engine have available Stop/Start?
Not that I would want it on a truck, I'm just curious as to what else could cause the main 12v battery to die out. On the Jeep we first saw warnings that the Stop/Start was inactive due to the battery still charging.
No, the non-etorque Hemi does not have stop/start. That's exclusive to the etorque package. I kept mine disabled with an autostop eliminator when I had that truck, and kept it installed when I traded the truck in. The wife's Limited is a non-etorque Hemi. I like that system better, and no more worrying about the etorque system having issues down the road.

brian42

Military
Reaction score
mikeru is correct. Start/stop is only with the eTorque. The V-6 only comes with eTorque but you can have it both ways with the HEMI. Mine is without the eTorque so no start/stop for me. It's not nearly as annoying since it uses the 48V battery and Brake Start Generator (that box where the alternator goes) instead of the battery, but it still grates on me after awhile. Like mikeru, I also prefer it without plus the truck I wanted didn't have it anyway. My dad has the eTorque in his Limited and likes it. To each his own.

I think it's "only" a $200 option nowadays. Back when I bought my truck it was a $1200 option so it was as much price as it was preference compared to now.