2019 Ram 2500 steering wheel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scrounger

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 2500 mega cab 4x4
Engine
6.7 I6 Cummins
Has anyone with the 2019, 2500 ram 6.7 limited had any trouble with heated steering wheel not working? Mine comes on and then it goes off. After it gets a little warm it quickly goes off! OEM at shop is 2000.00 plus

SniperDroid

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Had mine in the shop under warranty for TOO HOT... nothing they could do. Still too hot, so I have to turn it off manually after a while.

Thomas Obieglo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Has anyone with the 2019, 2500 ram 6.7 limited had any trouble with heated steering wheel not working? Mine comes on and then it goes off. After it gets a little warm it quickly goes off! OEM at shop is 2000.00 plus
Do you have any other symptoms? IE: Do the lights work on your steering wheel? Do the buttons on the left side still work? If the answer to those questions is "no" or "sometimes"... it's a failing clock spring.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Did they say what was wrong or why it will cost 2K to fix? I have it an seldom use it but if I do its only on long enough for me to feel the warmth then off it goes.. My self for 2K to fix I would wear my gloves like I did in every car/truck I have owned without a heated steering wheel...

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I rarely use mine, but when I do its freakin HOT, and smells like burning plastic. Basically that thing is a dead short electrically.

OP
OP
Scrounger

Scrounger

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 2500 mega cab 4x4
Engine
6.7 I6 Cummins
Everything else works on the steering wheel but the heat, i like it because of my {Author}

OP
OP
Scrounger

Scrounger

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 2500 mega cab 4x4
Engine
6.7 I6 Cummins
Do you have any other symptoms? IE: Do the lights work on your steering wheel? Do the buttons on the left side still work? If the answer to those questions is "no" or "sometimes"... it's a failing clock spring.
Everything else works on the steering wheel but the heat, i like it because of my {Author}

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I use my heated steering wheel feature almost daily during the winter months. The knuckles are just much happier with a bit of heat, mine isn't too hot.

On my last truck, the steering wheel usually felt like a frozen brick all winter.

I did have a problem in the recent past where the heat would shutdown intermittently. Ever since I opened the TIPM and pushed all the fuses in, I've had no problems with the heated steering wheel feature.

I know from reading many reports on heated steering wheel problems, there are many other points of failure that can contribute to this fault.

I'd still suggest opening the TIPM and confirm that all the fuses and relays are fully seated, it's a quick & easy check. Mine had many fuses that seemed to be several millimeters from fully seated.

OP
OP
Scrounger

Scrounger

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 2500 mega cab 4x4
Engine
6.7 I6 Cummins
I use my heated steering wheel feature almost daily during the winter months. The knuckles are just much happier with a bit of heat, mine isn't too hot.

On my last truck, the steering wheel usually felt like a frozen brick all winter.

I did have a problem in the recent past where the heat would shutdown intermittently. Ever since I opened the TIPM and pushed all the fuses in, I've had no problems with the heated steering wheel feature.

I know from reading many reports on heated steering wheel problems, there are many other points of failure that can contribute to this fault.

I'd still suggest opening the TIPM and confirm that all the fuses and relays are fully seated, it's a quick & easy check. Mine had many fuses that seemed to be several millimeters from fully seated.
Ive pushed fuzes in before but dont remember seeing one for steering wheel, might be a dumb question but what is TIPM?

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The TIPM is the fuse box and also contains relays. I believe there's a dedicated fuse and relay for the heated steering wheel..

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I found another thread that was started in 2018 for the same issue and I see you posted there. So you've seen a user that changed a start or run relay in the TIPM and successfully restored his steering wheel heat function. He posted pics showing the relay location.

There's a newer post in that thread that identifies damaged connector wiring on a module under the driver's seat. It fixed his steering wheel heater problem, after repairing the wiring and then replacing an opened fuse. Have you inspected these connections?

This site may assist you in identifying what the connectors look like. Enter your truck details and search heater or steering.

http://connectors.dcctools.com/home.htm

This is an excerpt from a PDF manual for my truck indicating the fuse for the heated steering wheel. Another quick & easy check is to locate and inspect/test the fuse.

2021 Ram DS heated steering wheel fuse.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Scrounger

Scrounger

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 2500 mega cab 4x4
Engine
6.7 I6 Cummins
I found another thread that was started in 2018 for the same issue and I see you posted there. So you've seen a user that changed a start or run relay in the TIPM and successfully restored his steering wheel heat function. He posted pics showing the relay location.

There's a newer post in that thread that identifies damaged connector wiring on a module under the driver's seat. It fixed his steering wheel heater problem, after repairing the wiring and then replacing an opened fuse. Have you inspected these connections?

This site may assist you in identifying what the connectors look like. Enter your truck details and search heater or steering.

This is an excerpt from a PDF manual for my truck indicating the fuse for the heated steering wheel. Another quick & easy check is to locate and inspect/test the fuse.

View attachment 514886
I have not, but i will today and thanks for the help.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
We see that you have received some great advice from your fellow forum members! However, if these suggestions do not address your concern and you decide to visit your dealer, our team would be happy to offer additional assistance throughout that process! We're available via private message.

Callie
Ram Cares

OP
OP
Scrounger

Scrounger

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 2500 mega cab 4x4
Engine
6.7 I6 Cummins

View attachment 514886
fuzes are good!