2019 Ram Classic 5.7 lifter failure, engine replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jdh1978

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 19 Classic bought new with 125K, all highway miles and meticulous maintenance.
I have a lifter failure, it is eating the cam. Currently showing P219A code, running poorly and getting about 12mpg. The tapping started overnight, is constant and getting worse.

I was quoted anywhere from $6400 to $7700 for cam and lifter job. I dont have time to do the work myself, and don't want to invest the $$ in a short block with 125K and additional wear from failing cam throwing metal shavings into the engine.
I want to do a crate or long block swap, and quotes coming back in the 11-13K range. I want to do MDS delete and OEM or better so I don't repeat an issue. Can't trade it off in this condition and lose the value of the truck and don't want payments. Shops are offering LKQ, Fraser, and Jasper stuff, not at all familiar with LKQ and cant find a good website with their specs and info so leary of them.

I found the below, but getting the impression nobody wants to install a supplied engine they done get to markup. Was also told that the below was "incompatible" with my truck. If I did a tune or module that would support MDS delete, wouldn't the Mopar crate engine for the 15+ Challenger work?

Any tips or advice would be appreciated. In the NTX/DFW area. I don't have time or desire to swap the engine myself.

Thanks

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I have a 19 Classic bought new with 125K, all highway miles and meticulous maintenance.
I have a lifter failure, it is eating the cam. Currently showing P219A code, running poorly and getting about 12mpg. The tapping started overnight, is constant and getting worse.

I was quoted anywhere from $6400 to $7700 for cam and lifter job. I dont have time to do the work myself, and don't want to invest the $$ in a short block with 125K and additional wear from failing cam throwing metal shavings into the engine.
I want to do a crate or long block swap, and quotes coming back in the 11-13K range. I want to do MDS delete and OEM or better so I don't repeat an issue. Can't trade it off in this condition and lose the value of the truck and don't want payments. Shops are offering LKQ, Fraser, and Jasper stuff, not at all familiar with LKQ and cant find a good website with their specs and info so leary of them.

I found the below, but getting the impression nobody wants to install a supplied engine they done get to markup. Was also told that the below was "incompatible" with my truck. If I did a tune or module that would support MDS delete, wouldn't the Mopar crate engine for the 15+ Challenger work?

Any tips or advice would be appreciated. In the NTX/DFW area. I don't have time or desire to swap the engine myself.

Thanks
The way it sits,that's not a bolt in engine.You need everything from intake manifold / front timing cover / oil pan / oil pan gasket / oil pump pick-up tube / flywheel and the majority of sensers etc. from you're trucks 5.7,before it'll bolt in.Then it'll need a custom tune to run right as the manual transmission cams are slightly more aggressive then the automatic transmission cams. Basically you'd have to strip that engine down to a long block,then build it back up with all the pieces off your existing 5.7,so you might be better off just starting with a long block 5.7

diymirage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
LKQ stands for Like Kind and Qaulity
It is a junkyard system created for insurance companies to be able to use used parts on the claim vehicles

(In your case, if you had a fender bender, they would grab a 120 odd K fender from a junkyard and slap it on, instead of buying, installing and painting a new one)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357