2019 Ram Rebel - Trailer Brakes Installation Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramrebelga

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just purchased a 2019 Ram Rebel 2WD. Looking to install trailer brakes I am open to OEM or aftermarket.

I have done some research and according to the internet I need to locate a 4 pin connector that possibly is taped up behind the dash somewhere. I have looked and can not find the connector anywhere. Like I said I am open after market or OEM. Any suggestions? I called the dealership to see if they can install it and they priced me a quote but stated that they looked my VIN up and need to see if I have 4 pin connector...that I can't locate. What are my other options? Am I missing it. Did every model of ram for 2019 come prewired with this connector and I am just missing it?

I got this truck for a big reason to tow a camper cause of the 3.92 rear end. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you have the 4pin &10 pin connector on the right side of license plate, do you have the class IV hitch I know the wires are up behind the center stack where the controller is to be mounted, you need the dealer to flash it, the OEM to me is the best option.

Last edited:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
For the OEM brake controller there is a 4 pin and 10 pin plug, they're usually found somewhere to the right and above of the steering column and the ends are typically cover with foam.
Aftermarket controllers can't get near the level of integration with the trucks braking and stability systems that the OEM offers.

PaleFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you have the 4pin &10 pin connector on the right side of license plate, do you have the class IV hitch I know the wires are up behind the center stack where the controller is to be mounted, you need the dealer to flash it, the OEM to me is the best option.
Trailer side plug is 4 and 7.

the 4 and 10 are tucked up under the dash.

AlfaOBD can 100% flash it for you. I did it.

PaleFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For the OEM brake controller there is a 4 pin and 10 pin plug, they're usually found somewhere to the right and above of the steering column and the ends are typically cover with foam.
Aftermarket controllers can't get near the level of integration with the trucks braking and stability systems that the OEM offers.
In the 18, it's BELOW the steering column, going "into" the center console.

markabby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i bought mine off ebay...install wasn't bad and the dealer flashed it for me for like 50 bucks. works excellent! even tells me if there's a bad connection, and the truck senses the length of any trailer i hook up. (16 ft landscape trlr)

back in NYS it was a law to have brakes on any dual axle...big fines if the DOT caught you. Besides, it's easy on the truck brakes.

i moved to Kentucky and i noticed many (not all) do not use or have trailer brakes on their landscape trailers. I'll bet auto parts stores sell a lot of brake pads.