2020 1500 eTorque with terrible MPG

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rippedoffbyram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
etorque 5.7
Yes it does .. and no I drive around with the button that says 2wd right next to it pushed.

rippedoffbyram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
etorque 5.7
Can I ask u what the button next to your axle lock is ? Is that a down hill break ?

my 2020 dosent have that . They use the manual gear shift on the steering wheel. I can’t remember what it’s called.
They have that I’m pretty sure acheieves the same thing .. but what is that button for ?

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes it does .. and no I drive around with the button that says 2wd right next to it pushed.

Oh ok, I was just checking because due to how our automatic 4WD systems work, driving around with auto-4WD engaged all the time will bring your mileage down but if you’re only using that mode when the roads are slick then I don’t know what’s going on. Have you checked the filter? Is is stock? You’re not using a K&N are you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rippedoffbyram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
etorque 5.7
It’s all still factory. What ****** me off is they blame me .. like I could drive a truck to 50% gas mileage from having a heavy foot lol. Amd two. I was told oh yes 10 and 11 mpg averages were normal. Bc it’s the real world not a lab. It’s a cop out. .. there is so obviously something amiss .. I didn’t get to talk to the engineer personally. But I’m trying to .. idk how with a straight face he can tell me the truck is in normal parameters for mileage .. I don’t even think making a car that gets 11 mpg is even legal in 2020 lol. Well I’m not letting it go Amd I’m telling them I’m not. Amd I’m going to rent an e torque and do side by side tests of my own on camera. Amd my buddy bought 2021 identical ram etorque right down to the gears Amd options Amd I’ll test and video that. Amd when it shows that it’s in fact my truck and not the driver I’ll sue.

rippedoffbyram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
etorque 5.7
Never changed the filter never touched it. I’ve brought it back to dealer for oil changes and tire rotation early. I’ve cared for this truck like my baby.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can I ask u what the button next to your axle lock is ? Is that a down hill break ?

my 2020 dosent have that . They use the manual gear shift on the steering wheel. I can’t remember what it’s called.
They have that I’m pretty sure acheieves the same thing .. but what is that button for ?

That button is the hill-descent. That only comes on the trucks with the off-road package or on the Rebels. But no, it’s not the same thing, your steering wheel -/+ buttons are for manually downshifting the transmission and for like the only way other than a tuner to disable your MDS.

But as far as what’s going on, I don’t really know. All I could suggest is maybe taking the battery cables off for an hour or two to reset all your ECM’s stored parameters and let the truck re-learn your driving style again or maybe you will have to resort to taking you some videos to show how you drive because unfortunately, that’s probably what it’s going to take since unfortunately, a lot of the times it is the driver’s driving style that attributes to poor fuel economy. Not everybody drives that way but since there’s so many that do, you’re just going to have to prove to them that your driving style isn’t the culprit.

rippedoffbyram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
etorque 5.7
Yeah I took to heart that they said it could be me .. so I did an expirament a game if u will to try Amd drive as conservatively as possible could make the Eco kick in as much as possible to hit the pedal drive as gingerly as possible. Fan the brake. I’m sure the ppl behind me hated me .. drive highway on cruise at 55 Amd the most I could ever eek out of it. Was 13 .. the most. ..
I even stopped using auto start. Something is wrong with the truck tho it dosent run poorly. I’d figure it would or should getting that mileage .. my only suspicion is some how the etorque is engaged and making some drag effect. That’s just a guess. I feel had I gotten a regular 5.7. We wouldn’t be here talking it would be fine .. idk why I didn’t just get the diesel .. at the time didn’t want it. Bc it was a 6 cylinder .. I’d be happy to have it now ..

Beltsand

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A (prior 2010,2019,2022)
Engine
Cummins
Oh ok, I was just checking because due to how our automatic 4WD systems work, driving around with auto-4WD engaged all the time will bring your mileage down but if you’re only using that mode when the roads are slick then I don’t know what’s going on. Have you checked the filter? Is is stock? You’re not using a K&N are you?

I was thinking the same thing you asked. Another thought would be to put it in 4h and 4l and drive it a bit in each. Could something not be fully disengaging in the transfer case that shifting a few times and getting some movement on it might help?

rippedoffbyram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
etorque 5.7
At this point I’ll try anything .. I was looking into lemon law in CT and about to call a lawyer see where I stand. Chrystler today was zero help .. they say I can’t talk to the engineer .. I wanted him to explain how 11 mpg is normal operating parameters. Amd at what point would he think there was a problem. 5 mpg lol .. I will possibly rent identical truck and do a test run on video Amd then do mine with identical gas Amd speed Amd rout and use that to make them do something for me. But as of now dealership and chrystler want to do nothing. I’ll try the 4wd thing. But I can feel it engage and disengage from 4-2 wheel
Drive. Amd the display shows the switch. Also I can feel when it’s in 4 wheel Especally when taking tight turn.

Beltsand

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A (prior 2010,2019,2022)
Engine
Cummins
At this point I’ll try anything .. I was looking into lemon law in CT and about to call a lawyer see where I stand. Chrystler today was zero help .. they say I can’t talk to the engineer .. I wanted him to explain how 11 mpg is normal operating parameters. Amd at what point would he think there was a problem. 5 mpg lol .. I will possibly rent identical truck and do a test run on video Amd then do mine with identical gas Amd speed Amd rout and use that to make them do something for me. But as of now dealership and chrystler want to do nothing. I’ll try the 4wd thing. But I can feel it engage and disengage from 4-2 wheel
Drive. Amd the display shows the switch. Also I can feel when it’s in 4 wheel Especally when taking tight turn.

It sounds really frustrating. Mine definitely improved in mileage since I got over 5k on the odo, now almost to 18k. These short little trips in town on winter gas are getting me high 13 to low 14 on 87. Highway runs in the 18s unless i want to slow down a bit. It is possible, you should be able to get there. Good luck

NorthStar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn/Lone Star 4x2 Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
I’m doing everything right. I live in Connecticut it is winter time I buy 89 octane . Regularly . I’ve tried the other octanes it makes no difference they all give the same mileage. I drive it in 2 Wheel Dr 99percemt of the time .. The computers calculations of the mileage and hand calculating the mileage give same results .. I paid $2000 extra for the E torque option that was supposed to buy me 2 miles more than a gallon it’s supposed to average 19 miles to the gallon highway and city combine .. I have never managed to get more than 13.6 miles to the gallon. That’s on the highway 2 Wheel Dr. cruise controlling at 55 mph and is it eco-mode.. I have seen a lot of other forums people are getting 22 miles to the gallon of a e torque Amd more. My old 2005 5.7 hemi that takes the same gas and I drive it as well it’s getting 13 miles to the gallon.. it makes no sense to me to me it’s fraud to list a truck to be able to get 22 miles to the gallon and I am averaging 11. Even if I drove the truck like an absolute maniac and tried to reduce the gas mileage by driving like a crazy should not be able to reduce the gas mileage by 50% just by hammering on the gas pedal. Which I absolutely do not do I’ve actually tried to get more mileage out of this by babying it.. I feel something is definitely wrong with it I’m sure if I go and ask to test drive The identical truck at a dealership .. i’m sure the gas mileage would be closer so what the MSRP sticker claims. Where I only getting one or 2 miles to the gallon less than MSRP I would just shrug my shoulders and chalk it up to the bs reasons chrystler gives. Like that it’s winter time or the amount of ethanol in the gas. Or that it’s the driver
There is no fraud as the Moroney sticker clearly states "These are estimates" and "Actual results will vary for many reasons." Now, I'm not saying I don't sympathize but you can bet the manufacturer's attorneys have already covered FCAs backside from mpg lawsuits.

One thought that I have that I don't see anyone posted here yet would be could the regenerative braking be the culprit? The eTorque uses regenerative braking to recharge the eTorque battery. There is a unit on each wheel and you can feel them working when you go to slow down. Could they be improperly regenerating while accelerating/going down the road thus reducing mileage? It would be similar to riding your brakes with your left foot while going down the highway accelerating with your left. Surely there has to be a way to disable the regenerative breaking and test it out...and yes, I own an eTorque and can easily do 22 mpg on the highway consistently 17-18 in town so I know the mileage posted is plausible but it sounds like some of you have something reducing mileage and I'll bet it is the regenerative braking.

rippedoffbyram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
etorque 5.7
Exactly what I thought !!! The truck does not coast .. when I let off the gas it drops speed faster than any vehicle I have ever owned .. I felt like yes there is some type of drag on the car. .. I thought the same thing .. I disagree about the “ average “ in mileage being a blanket statement that relieves them off all liability.. if I was getting 5 miles to the gallon or three or two could that reasonably be said well we did say it was an average nothing is wrong ? No I doubt it .. hundreds of thousands of attorneys have successfully litigated lemon law cases to every company that exists out there .. and they’ll do it for free if they feel you have a case.. something is most for sure ugly wrong no matter what it is with the truck and if they’re going to just ignore responsibility and say oh well we wrote down that’s just an average on the Maroney sticker were covered no matter what .. I just don’t think that would fly.

JF19Longhorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 ETorque
There is no fraud as the Moroney sticker clearly states "These are estimates" and "Actual results will vary for many reasons." Now, I'm not saying I don't sympathize but you can bet the manufacturer's attorneys have already covered FCAs backside from mpg lawsuits.

One thought that I have that I don't see anyone posted here yet would be could the regenerative braking be the culprit? The eTorque uses regenerative braking to recharge the eTorque battery. There is a unit on each wheel and you can feel them working when you go to slow down. Could they be improperly regenerating while accelerating/going down the road thus reducing mileage? It would be similar to riding your brakes with your left foot while going down the highway accelerating with your left. Surely there has to be a way to disable the regenerative breaking and test it out...and yes, I own an eTorque and can easily do 22 mpg on the highway consistently 17-18 in town so I know the mileage posted is plausible but it sounds like some of you have something reducing mileage and I'll bet it is the regenerative braking.

Pretty sure there is nothing on the wheels, just drag on the crankshaft by the etrq unit.

rippedoffbyram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
etorque 5.7
Jf19longhorn can I ask you what state you live in and what gears u run in the etorque ? Just asking Bc that’s another excuse along with gas I use Amd that it’s me that are used by dealership to explain 6 mpg deficiency in my mileage

NorthStar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn/Lone Star 4x2 Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Pretty sure there is nothing on the wheels, just drag on the crankshaft by the etrq unit.
Then I stand corrected but I’ll bet the reduced mileage for some owners has something to do with the regenerative system malfunctioning.

“During regenerative braking, three levels of energy recuperation come into play: pure eTorque with no brake system effort, pure brake friction with no eTorque (at speeds of less than 16 km/h) or a mix of both.”

“Ram eTorque has three stages of braking regen. When coasting, or when the driver applies just a little brake in a situation such as lumbering down a gentle hill, eTorque operates on pure regen, in which the truck's conventional disc brakes are disabled. The friction of the generator capturing that braking energy is enough to slightly slow the truck. For a heavier foot on the brake pedal, there's blended regen, in which the conventional disc brakes and regen work simultaneously. The generator is still capturing braking energy, but the brakes are helping out. For hard braking, such as in an emergency, regen is disabled and only the traditional disc brakes are used to stop the truck.“

rippedoffbyram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
etorque 5.7
Jf19longhorn can I ask you what state you live in and what gears u run in the etorque ? Just asking Bc that’s another excuse along with gas I use Amd that it’s me that are used by dealership to explain 6 mpg deficiency in my mileage

rippedoffbyram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
etorque 5.7
Ok truck guru I get it and agree but I can’t get anyone at chrystler to adress it. Nor dealership. They say 11 mpg is normal lol so I guess it’s lawyer time. This is ruining my whole expierence for my dream truck which I love otherwise . Amd it’s screwing up all the mods I want to do Bc I kno that will be the first thing ram points to as cause. Even tho problem has been here since day one of owning it. Amd will most likely improve the mileage lol. Gotta love it calling lawyers

went to two different dealerships..opened a star case . Bc no software updates or sensor readings in error. The truck is in perfect working Oder as far as there concerned. 11 mpg is normal and irrelevant Amd my fault as far as they are concerned .. even tho my 2005 with 200k miles on it that I drive same gas same driver gets better gas mileage on it.
They won’t tell me how to contact the engineer or engineers who supposedly worked on my case. Jose R they told me but no way to contact him to ask questions. Amd the star case is now closed as far as they are concerned .. they told me I could write chrystler to appeal the case. Which I will do on Monday. As well as contact the lawyer. I might try one more dealer ship Amd beg them to focus on the breaking system and not just tell me no error codes or software updates. Or that they took it on the highway Amd the eco lights come on so everything is normal. Amd it’s because it’s winter Amd the gas I use. Or me driving like an maniac. Which I actually drive polar opposite of. I drive it like I’m driving miss daisy Amd still no change in mileage .. no change Bc it’s not the engine. It’s something else. Like the damn regen breaking. What a nightmare.

Last edited:

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Look man, if you can’t get anywhere with the dealer- which I am totally not surprised, I don’t know why dealerships feel they have to be that way, they ain’t the ones that made, designed and warrantied the truck, the manufacturer does so why they can’t be more of a help to the customer is beyond me but instead of fighting with the dealer, get with @ram Cares and start a help ticket with the manufacturer rather then some useless dealer.

I don’t know anything about the e-torque motors to help you myself but it would seem to me that the only thing about them that would be meant for saving any type of fuel consumption would be the start/stop stuff. From what little I know, you have a pretty big generator on your motor that has to charge that extra set of batteries that powers the electric motor that adds it’s “help” to the engine so, I really don’t see how that Etorque is supposed to really add fuel mileage so yes, I realize people have said it to me several times too about the four-corner air ride systems on these trucks but if I had waited to get my new truck until after they started coming out with those, I don’t think I would’ve opted for that. If I want more power than what my stock Hemi makes, there’s better ways to do it than that ****. Hope you get it figured out, man.

rippedoffbyram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
etorque 5.7
Thanks man looked it up there is actually some useful info there. And some type of arbitration department that they say will inspect vehicle and agree to its decision. All this chrystler or Fca I guess that’s the same thing. Any way they failed to mention this Avenue when dealing with them .. they kind of told me I was at a dead end and to write corporate which I still will do ..

JF19Longhorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 ETorque

2019 Longhorn Hemi Etrq 4x4 Longbed ORP 4x4 3.92s

Lifetime avg is just under 16mpg (handcalc) and dropping due to winter fuel. I drive a mostly highway commute (30+ miles each way) and have 17k miles on the clock.

While mine is what I consider bad and much worse than my previous trucks.. yours IMO has something wrong with it.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca