etorque and the 5.7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1979PowerWagon360

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 TRX
Engine
I've done a search and read some info on problems with etorque. Is etorque standard on every Ram 1500 after a certain year? It seems ALL 2023 and 2024's are equipped. My friend is looking at new or late model 1500's with 5.7 and I'm concerned about the etorque.

Also, is it basically a hybrid with a different name?

Thanks.

Edit: I apology, I later found a good thread and don't see a way to delete this one. Sorry

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Stay as far away as you can from that junk. Specially if you want to keep your truck for a long time.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
It's a "mild hybrid" not a real hybrid, meaning it only gets a little bit of assist from the battery. It doesn't drive in electric mode, so you have the added weight, and complexity of the battery and related components, for a momentary boost via the fan belt. No thanks.

saturnx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I absolutely love my 2022 Ram 5.7 w/ etorque. This engineer breaks down what it's 6 main functions are. If you have the time give it a view.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A bunch of useless crap, you guys can keep those repair bills.... hahahahahahah

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
2019 thru 2022 model years you could get the Hemi without etorque. '23 and up all Hemi's have etorque. We've owned a couple of them and they were fine. But when we made the choice to downsize we kept the 2020 Limited instead of the 2021 because the 2020 doesn't have etorque. And our plan for now is to hang onto this truck for a while. My daughter had a 2019 Rebel with etorque and had issues with the 48 volt battery within the first month. She kept it for three years and didn't have any more trouble with it. But I suspect it won't hold up over the long term. Only time will tell for sure. I would recommend your friend look for something from 2022 and earlier and avoid it all together. Having owned 5th gens with and without the system I can't say having it was beneficial in any way. Both trucks got about the same fuel economy. Based on our experience I don't see much use for it.

jpaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 etorque
Hi there, I'm new here so please forgive if this question isn't in the correct area.
I have an etorque that has failed bearings. I'm getting new bearings installed.
The little coil at the back of the motor is broken. I'm wondering what this is for???

clay282

Black Betty had a child... named Betty White
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
They over billed and over hyped Etorque. The truth is, it’s a fancy engine Start - Stop system and that’s really all it is. Funny there’s posts from people warning STAY AWAY RUN RUN RUN FORREST! Then you look at their profile and they didn’t even make Etorque when their old truck was built.

To say it’s a hybrid is a huge stretch. People cry about battery failure but don’t even realize there’s 2 batteries and it’s the under the hood engine battery that fails 99 times out of 100. That’s no big deal because RAM still uses an old lead acid battery and they buckle under the trucks big power draws in a few years. We all just get a nice AGM battery for $140 from Walmart once it dies in a few years.

It’s nothing to be scared of and you can shut it off when you get in OR buy a plug in thing that’ll shut it off automatically every time you get in.

jpaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 etorque
The rear bearing failed but was still charging. The dealer has a newly designed one on back order. No idea how long it'll be.
I took it out and had the bearings replaced at a starter shop. They told me that the rear coil was damaged . When I got it home 5 of the 6 tiny wires going to this coil setup was broke. I attempted to repair but I couldn't tell how they connected.
It is no longer charging.
Spins nice though. Lol
I never took pics.