2020 Camping season.....over before it starts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
@GsRAM hit the main points.

I like them because of his reasons and I find the private ones to gimmicky.

The ease of reservation and check-in is another reason.

My son and I have been hard at work tracking down dispersed camping in State Forests.

Fewer people makes me happier.

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
Thanks, I agree on the Clampets' down the street, one on top of the other. We've been fortunate enough to have found a few campgrounds that we frequent every year where it's not that big of an issue and the sites are a decent size. We may try state park out with the new TT. I stayed away from them due to no full hookups, our old trailer had one 30 gal grey tank, tough to make it past three days without it getting full. The new one has two grey tanks so it won't be that big of an issue

OP
OP
GsRAM

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Thanks, I agree on the Clampets' down the street, one on top of the other. We've been fortunate enough to have found a few campgrounds that we frequent every year where it's not that big of an issue and the sites are a decent size. We may try state park out with the new TT. I stayed away from them due to no full hookups, our old trailer had one 30 gal grey tank, tough to make it past three days without it getting full. The new one has two grey tanks so it won't be that big of an issue

Go for it! As to the no full hookups, we just use the shower houses as much as possible, we take our showers there and use the restrooms there as much as possible. We also do our dishes in two pans outside, one to wash, one to rinse.

Doing that I've always made it to the end of even a 4 day weekend with water to spare in my fresh tank, and dont dump the black or gray till we hit the dump station on the way out.

Typically on the last night we'll splurge and do the dishes in the tt because by then I know I can make it water wise till the next day with water to flush the toilet.

Remeber it's camping, it's supposed to be roughing it....at least a little! Hahaha....again just my .02....there's no right or wrong.

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Our kids turn the camper bathroom into an attraction if we let them use it.

Rule #one. You will use the parks facilities.

Rule# two you will not use the camper.

Alot of the parks have dish washing stations. We use those for dishes.

OP
OP
GsRAM

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
There are state parks with full hook up.

Prince Gallitzin State Park has quite a few.

Yes there are a few, they are limited in number and book super fast. IIRC, Pinchot has about 30 or so, give or take. Those are more packed together and over $10 more per night, so I usually don't stay in them but maybe once per year or so.

OP
OP
GsRAM

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Our kids turn the camper bathroom into an attraction if we let them use it.

Rule #one. You will use the parks facilities.

Rule# two you will not use the camper.

Alot of the parks have dish washing stations. We use those for dishes.

Lol! I hear that! Agreed 100% The camper toilet is for boys mommy and me..unless an emergency...otherwise it's down to the shower they go. It does them good, builds character...hahaha...makes them appreciate what they have at home more.

The bonus is they dont care...they both like camping! :patriot:

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
Thanks both - appreciate the perspective

CamperMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In Illinois the state parks are still closed for awhile. I broke down and booked a weekend in a smaller private park for 2 weeks from now. Looking forward to finally camping even if it isn't at our favorite park.

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I wish my darn SD card would communicate with my phone.

So instead I will post some links. Give up some of my secrets, lol.

These links show some information that I wish I had been able to be privy to for many years. Would have made my early 20s a lot more relaxing.

Anyways, here is some info about dispersed camping and some really cool campsites...for tents, truck camping and even some plenty big enough for travel trailers. Of course, if you need full hook ups you are probably not real interested...but check it out anyways.

Social distancing at its core...and they closed them.

https://overlandbound.com/forums/threads/bald-eagle-state-forest-in-a-ram-or-2.29414/

https://overlandbound.com/forums/threads/rothrock-state-forest-in-a-ram-or-2.29572/

https://overlandbound.com/forums/threads/rothrock-to-bald-eagle-connection.29583/

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
We have one reservation made with a few friends. We grabbed three sites. This is for August. Hopefully we'll be camping before then but at least we got that for now. They didn't require a deposit this time. They may ask for one when they open which is fine.

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
We have reservations for the last week this month in Lancaster, just heard on the news SE PA stay at home is extended till the end of the month. We'll see if this gets cancelled also. Brand new TT, never been used...sigh, I may just take Loudram's advice and spend one of these weekends in the driveway. Now we just gotta get it to stop raining around here. Feels like its been raining since 2018

Loudram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No kidding, it seems like every other day it's raining because it is. Where's the sun?

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
LOL - Big Red's in self quarantine too

OP
OP
GsRAM

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Those sites in elk state forest look nice! Nice and spread out and big. I prefer more wooded but that's just me.

I hear you dudes on this dang rain. I'm thoroughly sick of it and your right, it does feel like all it does is rain and has been since 2018, which was especially bad.

My wife and I were renovating our house then, putting an addition on and I had a pole barn built. It was extremely frustrating all of the weather/rain related delays we dealt with.

Once again I've got standing water in my yard in various places and my new John Deere tractor looks like I took it muddin....haha...lol. not good guys...not good...

I could use 2 straight weeks (or more!l) with no rain. It would go a long way in lifting our spirits that's for sure. This covid baloney is depressing enough.

Fake-Account27

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
We have reservations for the last week this month in Lancaster, just heard on the news SE PA stay at home is extended till the end of the month. We'll see if this gets cancelled also. Brand new TT, never been used...sigh, I may just take Loudram's advice and spend one of these weekends in the driveway. Now we just gotta get it to stop raining around here. Feels like its been raining since 2018

We had a new trailer picked out and we were ready to buy, the day my wife and I took off to go buy it was the day after they announced a full shut down. So we decided to wait. We may still buy a new unit, but we are hoping we can get a better deal.

Loudram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
We had a new trailer picked out and we were ready to buy, the day my wife and I took off to go buy it was the day after they announced a full shut down. So we decided to wait. We may still buy a new unit, but we are hoping we can get a better deal.
That might be the best time. Everything is going to be on sale. Businesses need to make up for losses even if it means breaking even. You're in a good spot.

CamperMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Iowa just reopened their campgrounds. I'm waiting to see if Missouri will soon. My home state of Illinois probably won't open for awhile. My first trip to a local private cg is Thursday but hopefully I can get to a nice state park for my next trip even if it's not in my state. I have options 3-4 hours away in Iowa Missouri or Indiana if they open up.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca