2020 Camping season.....over before it starts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
GsRAM

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
I might end up camping in PA since NJ doesn't look like we're opening anytime soon. I just wonder if PA state police would hassle us because of NJ plates. I wish our governor would open up the state in sections. Here in SNJ we have far less cases. They are mostly in NNJ because of NY and their idiotic mayor and governor.

Not sure on that. I was told that all vehicles with NY plates are being stopped at the Florida border by FSP and not being allowed to enter.

Tough to say. I just hope all this shutdown baloney is worth it in the end. I saw Sweden is only restricting the elderly, otherwise its business as usual for them. They are working off the herd immunity thought process. Hope it works out for them.

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It looks like the governor is going to open state and county parks as well as golf courses. I really hope the full announcement includes private campgrounds to.

Brian Lee

US Air Foirce Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Fortunately here in Florida we can take our RV out anytime and camp. Unfortunately, we are still feeling the effects of Hurricane Micheal in October of 2018 and have been living in camper off and on during construction. The house is mostly completed now, only the kitchen is left. In January we made reservations for late May thinking the house would be complete by then and we could take some time off and "get away". The construction crew hasn't been working at the house since early March and now the cabinet order has been delayed and won't be delivered till mid May. I am hoping that State Parks open by late May because I'm ready for a break regardless. We have not been away from here since right before the hurricane. matter of fact we came home from a camping trip for one day and turned around and left again because of the hurricane. Now we have the pandemic to deal with. Well, we will get through it just like we did the hurricane.

Razzman

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited CCSB
Engine
6.7 Cummins
California opens golf courses and parks on Monday with restrictions, however state parks and camping are still a no go. At least i can golf now, already made a tee time for Monday! Gotta get out of here!

NorZeman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well MN's shutdown on campgrounds just got extended to May 18th, so missing out on a couple more planned trips now.

Oh well, such is life.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
GsRAM

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
PA private campgrounds opening tomorrow.

State Park campgrounds to open next Friday...unless something else comes up.

Unfortunately that's not correct. I just checked the PADCNR website and the overnight facilities are closed through May 14. But I wouldn't be surprised if its extended. PA has had 1,000+ new cases a day for at least the past 2 weeks with a lower number a day or two.

No real decline to date. It feels like it's neverending. One day at a time!

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
Unfortunately that's not correct. I just checked the PADCNR website and the overnight facilities are closed through May 14. But I wouldn't be surprised if its extended. PA has had 1,000+ new cases a day for at least the past 2 weeks with a lower number a day or two.

No real decline to date. It feels like it's neverending. One day at a time!

Actually, it is the State Park facilities that are closed till May 14th, he is correct, private campgrounds are allowed to open today

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Well. They hid that announcement. I checked all the places I would go next weekend and they all had the same May 8th alert...but then, thank you @GsRAM for heads up, there it is.

Screenshot_20200501-073616.png

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
Yeah - my bad - I misread everyone of the posts, LOL. A.G.E is setting in

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Yeah...that was the new info...i dont go to private campgrounds...but the state parks were to open next weekend...now we wait to May 14th.

He wasn't questioning that private campgrounds open today...he was alerting us to the fact State park campgrounds are currently closed til May 14th.

Which isnt anywhere but the PADCNR site halfway down their latest release.

OP
OP
GsRAM

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Good morning gents,

Well since I created this thread, I figure I should help maintain it.

Here's the latest from the PADCNR for PA state parks. I live in a county with a higher number of cases of covid... so I'm thinking based on this im not hopeful for any may camping... no real surprise.

There hasn't been any real decline in the number of new daily cases for the past 2 weeks at least. Over 1,000 new cases per day with a few exceptions . Hang in there guys!

Offices, Campgrounds, Cabins, Nature Inn at Bald Eagle

State park and forest facilities including offices, campgrounds, and the Nature Inn at Bald Eagle in the counties in the yellow phase will be open to the public on May 15.

Cabins in the yellow areas will not open until June 12, to allow returning staff the ability to thoroughly clean them and prepare them for use.

Campgrounds and cabins in all other state parks will remain closed.

With the exception of one restroom in each day use area and marina, all state park and forest facilities outside of the counties in the yellow phase will remain closed until changes are made consistent with Governor Wolf’s guidelines for reopening.

The public can still access DCNR trails, lakes, rivers, streams, forests, roads, and parking areas statewide for recreation.

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I am debating if my son and I will do a dispersed camping trip to bald eagle with just the truck and tent.

Looks like it will be atleast til May 21 til our campground opens

OP
OP
GsRAM

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
That would be cool! Good luck if you go for it. Yeah, that's what I'm thinking also devildog. If you live in N central and NW PA, you may be in luck for a May 15 opening. I'm in south central part of the state, so I don't think it's looking good for parks close to me.

Like you I usually only go to state parks. I don't care much for private campgrounds... but that's just me.

This summer is going to be different that's for sure

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
Yeah...that was the new info...i dont go to private campgrounds...but the state parks were to open next weekend...now we wait to May 14th.

Like you I usually only go to state parks. I don't care much for private campgrounds... but that's just me.

That's interesting you both prefer state parks, I've never stayed in one.

Any particular reason? Would you recommend them over a private one, why? Or what is it about private ones you dislike?

TIA

OP
OP
GsRAM

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Lol I could talk to you for an hour.

Some of the major reasons

-no permanent sites, garden homes set up tons of lights, etc
-sites are typically much bigger, more spaced out.
- no golf carts
- much more rustic, no restaurant on site, game room, etc
-more rural hiking trails.

Again, I could go on. To me, personally it's more real camping and much less commercialized... which I prefer, but everyone is different

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca