2020 Camping season.....over before it starts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Hey y'all, good morning.

As I write this, the number of Corona cases in my state are going up by larger numbers every day.

All state parks are closed. I usually dewinterize, clean inside and out wax and prep the tt the middle to end of April. However I wonder if I should even bother this year?

While I'm a glass half full guy, I'm also realistic. Probably not nationwide, but for those of us in the east where things are bad, stay at home orders, etc...do you think 2020 will be the camping season that never was?

I am an optimist, but I'm thinking it's not looking good this year, unless possibly late summer/early fall.

What do y'all think?

Last edited:

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
We head out for our first camping trip 2nd weekend of April every year. That one is already cancelled.

Right now camping is cancelled until April 30th. They just closed school indefinitely.

Guess we will see. The camper is ready to go as soon as they say camp.

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
Same here - our trip scheduled for the weekend of the 4/10 is already cancelled. I've heard the jersey shore campgrounds won't open till sometime towards the end of May, but haven't confirmed it

clifford15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
We are cancelling this year. Will take the opportunity to rebuild the back wall of the camper, coat the roof, and remodel the interior.
This would have been the first time in 3 years we could use the camper more than once. Oh well. In the same boat as everyone else. Stay safe!

CamperMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know early season camping is cancelled. I sure hope it's open by the summer as we have reservations for a Colorado trip this summer. But at this point even that seems up in the air.

NorZeman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Same here, our first trip is usually state park opening weekend so 2nd or 3rd weekend in April here in MN. That one has been cancelled for us, as well as the one we had for the end of the month. I'm expecting the cancellations to be extended through May.

Not looking good for early season camping, but I'm thinking (hoping) we'll get out sometime in June. Until then looks like won't need to Ram to pull it to our camping ground in our front yard.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
We had planned early April departure and spend six months on the road. Just taking it one day at a time right now. Most of the major prep is done but I’m in no hurry to do the last bits as it looks like a slow drawn out return to normal.

13ram1500crew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
Im in Canada, our first trip that was on May 14th is already cancelled. All our provincial parks are closed and most privately owned parks are closed until end of April as of now.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Canadian here too- we've written off the season. Doesn't sound like anything will open this summer (provincial and regional) so I guess we'll just leave the Anchovy parked for the year.

Fishing will be off the hook though without all the vacationers plugging everything up!

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

13ram1500crew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
Canadian here too- we've written off the season. Doesn't sound like anything will open this summer (provincial and regional) so I guess we'll just leave the Anchovy parked for the year.

Fishing will be off the hook though without all the vacationers plugging everything up!

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Some of our local sites in ontario are still reserving spots so im hopeful. But either way, we will make the best of it.

jvbuttex

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I-6
All of our Oregon State parks are closed... Even when it opens up... I can't imagine the influx of campers fighting to get a spot... and now we have a trailer, our spaces are limited. When ground camping, we have lots of places we drive back to. Now being a yuppie camper, need more of formal camp ground. Bummer is, we just picked up our trailer end of last year. Got all the supplies it needs to get rolling but now we wait.

Hey wait, we could drive to Walmart and camp... Ha Ha Ha

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
It's going to be a rough year for it. Thankfully we planned all of our big trips for later in the summer - maybe it'll all work out.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
The campgrounds we go to are staying open so Iam good .:)
Boating season is still going to happen. :)

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Tough call. If it were me I'd get it ready to go, I'd also try to keep apprised of park status and be ready to click that reservation button online quickly.

bm02tj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I got all the tires on the ground and the weekend I was going to renew the plates on the motor home I decided to wait and extra week
Then all the travel advisories and with no medical I will not go state side as the plan was to be in Moab tomorrow
Not going to happen I just might block it back up till I know if I will use it

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Usually our first trip is in late April or early May. But I'm an optimist, I'm going to open up our trailer in mid April and be ready to go. Hopefully by late May we'll have a better idea about what's going on with the campgrounds.

Bottomfeeder

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Was all set to take our new 2500 and trailer to Vegas for two weeks mid April from Northern CA.
Like most we had to cancel...hopefully a trip to Colorado in July if the zombie apocalypse doesn't hit.

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Our first trip was supposed to be down to Moab this week They cancelled on us. We have a small planned trip out to some private land in about a month. We will still do that. We had a big California trip planned for 2nd week of June. Who knows if that will happen at this point. 4 other trips already planned before football season starts. Those might be cancelled. Baseball is postponed indefinitely, and I have an 11yr old pitcher that is might peeved about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Toddbigboytruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My wife is a essential worker and we have the trailer up and ready in the driveway so if she becomes sick we will have a safe warm place for her to recover with out affecting the rest of our family. It is ****** I deal bit she is thinking of moving out there tomorrow while she is stil healthy and while she is still working in the healthcare industry.
We are in Ontario Canada and we don’t have it as bad as a lot of people. I hope all of you stay healthy and safe. God bless

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
My wife is a essential worker and we have the trailer up and ready in the driveway so if she becomes sick we will have a safe warm place for her to recover with out affecting the rest of our family. It is ****** I deal bit she is thinking of moving out there tomorrow while she is stil healthy and while she is still working in the healthcare industry.
We are in Ontario Canada and we don’t have it as bad as a lot of people. I hope all of you stay healthy and safe. God bless

That’s a great idea for self isolation. People can be contagious for 7-14 days before any symptoms show up, so it might be wise for her to move out as a preventative caution.
My wife is a nurse transplant coordinator, but was an ICU nurse for 10yrs before that and a med-surg floor nurse for 5 years before that. They have already asked if she would be willing fill in ICU if the need arises.
Thanks to your wisdom, I will get the trailer ready for her in the event that it does happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: