2020 EcoDiesel possible head gasket or what else ? ? ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

posttal

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 and 2013 Laramie
Engine
hemi 5.7
First let me say that this is my sons truck he bought a year ago to haul his plumbing trailer and equipment not my truck....and the question for those experienced in these motors is...other than head gasket failure is there any other things that would pressurize the cooling system on a 2020 ecodiesel . . The truck ran fine and had no smoke out the tail pipe but was loosing coolant and pressurizing the overflow tank. So i took it to a dealer thinking maybe a headgasket even though it ran fine and had no smoke. Now heres where the nightmare begins..the dealer says both heads are totally scrap..the turbo is shot and it need new fuel lines..i have no clue what fuel lines have to do with it..and the want 17k to fix it...its a 2020 but has 150k and no warranty...and to my knowledge only a 2020 and up motor is interchangeable? is that correct ? I mean 17k seriously.Thats got to be a cheaper way to get this truck back on the raod.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If this is a Gen5 DT body truck then the EcoDiesel motor is the 3rd Gen version and would have to be replaced with the same version truck engine. The 3rd gen engine has different internals than the prior version found in the DS body trucks.
I would get a second opinion although if the engine overheated the heads may not have failed well. As for a replacement engine, dealerships are crazy expensive on their prices and I believe you can buy a complete motor with a 3yr/Unlimited mileage warranty. Find an independent shop to do the swap.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
If you went to a Dodge Dealership & a Service Writer told you what you stated above.
99% of the Service Writers, have never even tuned up a vehicle like yours.
He or She may even try to put Spark Plugs in it.

Call around garages to see who has the mechanic that has worked with diesels

maybe some head work & injectors will do the trick
you will never know until a diesel mechanic looks at it

OP
OP
posttal

posttal

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 and 2013 Laramie
Engine
hemi 5.7
I've got to talk to my son again but he has me under the impression that they actually took the heads off to inspect them which makes no sense to me and if the heads are off now it's not even drivable.. and the fact you're saying both ends are scrap get the vehicle drove into the shop makes no sense the whole thing makes no sense.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
If I were looking at a $17k fix, I would get a second opinion from a reputable diesel shop even if I had to tow it there. If it needs a new engine, the diesel shop will probably charge less than the dealer making the tow a wash.

Ecosqueasl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Diesel
I agree with getting a diesel shop to check it out. My guess would be that it's a cracked oil cooler that is pressurizing the coolant.

OP
OP
posttal

posttal

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 and 2013 Laramie
Engine
hemi 5.7
update...the dealer didnt know i was feeding my son some information ( I was master certified for 13 years and now work in fleet vehicle maintenance for the USPS..the USPS doesnt pay for ASE testing and doesnt care if your certified so i let it expire since it will be my last job and i'll retire from here) ......so he had ammunition and the right questions to ask to them.So when the service dept rep called and my son asked why they took apart the motor to diagnose a head gasket in the first place when all he authorized was a diagnoses on the head gasket and if it was the EGR or turbo he authorized up to 2k trouble shoot and fix it . .not to tear apart the motor..and told them to pull the phone call and listen for themselves on what he told them . . .. and then asked if they did a hydrocarbon check or a compression check before tearing it now..which they did not...then he asked how did they determine if the heads were bad , did they do a dye check seeing the heads are aluminum and they couldnt do a Magnaflux check on them...he said he heard someone in the background say he seems to know what he's talking about at that point.....at that they said they took a straight edge to them and could see they were warped..but when my son asked if they determined that with a feeler gage what was the actual warpage at its worst point he had no answer...then he asked why not send out the heads and just machine them...again he had no answer..and when he asked why are they changing the fuel line did they break them ? and he had no answer and said he would get some answers and get back to him............well 2 days later a area supervisor called and asked him if he's willing to pay 2k to fix the truck..keep in mine the original quote to fix it was 17k which was for a new motor he found out ...my son asked in addition to the 2k he authorized already and assumed thats what he was into it for at this point...he said TOTAL..They are going to warranty the motor and the turbo..fuel lines they must have broke because those are included to...The truck has 120k miles on it...the warrenty is 100k...he said they were gonna bassicly grandfather it in and cover it under warrenty.....my son ..who is going thru a divorce...said thats the best news he's had all year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357