Head gasket failure at 152000 miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ander129175

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I have a 2017 ram 2500 67 Cummins been getting no heat in the cab ran blend doors, heater cover hoses. All that. Took it in to a reputable shop. They spent a few hours working on diagnosing it and couldn't come up with anything until their mechanic decided to run a combustion gas blue water to yellow test on it. In the immediately turned yellow they told me. We are looking at possible head replacement with gasket. Does this sound correct? Unit has never overheated but there was slow coolant loss with no white smoke and no oil pan milkshake. THANKS!

Thanks!!

Thanks

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Well sounds like it you had a couple things proving it, happens. I'm not sure most heads blow on over heating but rather cooling too fast, why most guys with diesels like to idle down at shut off. Shouldnt be an issue in new mexico, but yeah could have been something else. You can get a head gasket leak without it mixing with oil. I'd probably get it fixed, but let me say this one of the best product out there are gasket leak stop. No joke, get some bars stop leak for coolant and give it a try, and look up all the youtubes, I think that is what I would do first. They really really work well.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Could be the EGR cooler leaking.
As for the lack of heating in the cab, has the heater core been back flushed? A bunch of people have reported loosing heat, usually on the driver's side first.

OP
OP
A

Ander129175

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
2017 ram 2500 come in 6.7 152,000 mi on it. Found combustion in the coolant. Reputable repair shop is suggesting putting a new head on since the machine shops are few and far between where we are at in the time period could take quite a while. So I'm assuming since there's not a machine shop around this would be a suggested way to go. You cannot just change the gasket? Thanks

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Usually the head needs to be inspected before determining if it needs to be replaced.