2020 Ram 1500 V6 Shift Points

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tsherv

Reaction score
I just purchased a 2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn with the V6 and 3.55 gears in the differential. So far I've absolutely love the truck. It has plenty of power for my needs. One thing I've noticed that feel a bit irritating is the shift points. If I'm cruising down the interstate at 80 MPH, the truck is in 7th gear most of the time running at about 2,600 RPM's. It will shift into 8th gear and drop to about 2,000 RPM's. If I run the truck at like 85 MPH, it will consistently be in 8th gear (however, I would end up with a ticket). The roads I drive on are not overly hilly (wisconsin rolling hills).

I've read a lot of complaints about delay in the gas pedal, and how a device like a pedal commander make an improvement. I'm wondering if a device like a pedal commander would help the truck find 8th gear, or is this simply an unrelated issue?

drmoreau

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
The engine is probably staying in 7th because high speeds demand a lot of horsepower. As a general rule, vehicle speed above about 35 mph is a cubic function - you have to triple the power to double the speed. I have not seen the power curve for your engine, but I imagine that 2,600 rpms are necessary to make enough power to push that box through the air at 80 mph. Note that power comes from burning fuel, so the higher the speed the worse the gas mileage.

As a side note, I have owned fast cars like the WRX STi. They are low and designed for speeds up to 135 mph (with the speed rated tires on the track). I don't like to drive my 1500 above 70mph very often. It's a truck, not a sports car, and handles like one. You are pushing the edge of safe stopping and debris avoidance above 70.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You need a proper trans tune with HP Tuner :Big Laugh:

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Have tried the gear selector to put in the 8th gear?

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just purchased a 2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn with the V6 and 3.55 gears in the differential. So far I've absolutely love the truck. It has plenty of power for my needs. One thing I've noticed that feel a bit irritating is the shift points. If I'm cruising down the interstate at 80 MPH, the truck is in 7th gear most of the time running at about 2,600 RPM's. It will shift into 8th gear and drop to about 2,000 RPM's. If I run the truck at like 85 MPH, it will consistently be in 8th gear (however, I would end up with a ticket). The roads I drive on are not overly hilly (wisconsin rolling hills).

I've read a lot of complaints about delay in the gas pedal, and how a device like a pedal commander make an improvement. I'm wondering if a device like a pedal commander would help the truck find 8th gear, or is this simply an unrelated issue?
The computer algorithm is constantly trying to achieve highest volumetric efficiency, thus the variations from time to time in which gear the PCM commands at a given cruise speed/ load, in terms of Lambda.