2020 ram 1500 with major tranny issues need some advice about warranty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shawboat1967

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So iam new here as of today, I have a 2020 dodge ram 1500 4x4 with the 3.6 L
I drove it new off the lot and even back then I felt and told the salesman the transmission banged a bit in reverse and from 1st to 2nd sometimes felt weird shifting, anyways he said it fine and I didn’t really care because it had warranty, last year I put different rims and tires on it which were 17”rims and 33” tires when compared to my 20’s they stood at the same height when side by side do I never gave it any thought on speedo and it didn’t change my speedo either
But not long after I put them on I would get a major hesitation and clunking from the transmission or drive line, but only when it was cold and the clunking in drone and reverse was definitely getting worse but it didn’t do it all the time which made it inconsistent and never a engine light untill now which it goes into limp mode now and doesn’t shift at all untill I shut the truck down and turn off the ignition but goes into limp mode shortly after, my question is should I put the stock tires back on to take back to the dealer for warranty and clear the code or am I good to take it in the way it is ?
Thanks guys

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
If the new tires are the same height and width as the old ones you should be fine. On top of that, the transmission issues have been there since new, they are just getting worse. The tires have zero to do with your transmission issues.

I would not even get into the tire change, timing of transmission getting worse etc. Take it back, tell them it doesn't work, let them diagnose and figure it out. You job is to buy and drive, theirs is to diagnose and fix.

Let us know how you make out and what they find.

P.S. I don't want to be "That Guy" or the gramar police, but a few periods would make it a whole bunch easier to read your posts.

GRKN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Swap it to stocks if it’s not too much effort. You never know when the dealer will decide to make a stink about something like that so if you can spare the time I wouldn’t let them know it ever had anything else on it.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Swap it to stocks if it’s not too much effort. You never know when the dealer will decide to make a stink about something like that so if you can spare the time I wouldn’t let them know it ever had anything else on it.
Not being critical and you may be right based on your experience but I have to say you guys have some really crappy dealerships if you are running into problems like that. I spent quite a bit of time finding a great dealer with a top notch service department in each town I moved to, but I have always felt like the dealer was on my side. I do know there are dealers in the same town that have a really bad reputation so clearly your experience is not uncommon.

Not once have I felt like my chosen dealer was trying to get out of covering legitimate warranty repairs.

Crosstown Motors here in Edmonton quoted some work on my 1996 Ram about 7 years ago. Turns out they messed up and way under quoted the job. On top of that they supplied a replacement pickup for 3 weeks because they found out they didn't have a needed part after they got it apart. They stuck to the quoted price even though I offered to pay a fair price for the work. I have even had a Lexus service department get me warranty coverage on a repair that was long past the actual warranty. Wasn't a real big ticket item but I was greatly impressed anyhow.

Hope the OP has a quality dealer.

brian42

Military
Reaction score
I would take it to the dealership and have them look at it. Stock or current wheels is your choice. If they can't reproduce the issue take the tech for a drive and show them what is going on. You will know how to get the truck to act up compared to a stranger just driving another truck. I've had to do that a couple of times for them to take it back and fix the issue.

Is you truck a 4th gen or 5th gen? 18" wheels are the smallest that will fit on the 5th gen, and even then, many aftermarket ones don't due to tight clearance for the brake caliper. If you have a 4th gen (Classic) then I'm not sure how small the wheels can be and still fit.

The extra usprung weight of your new wheel/tire combo could be exacerbating the problem. You could also have a fitment issue. Have the dealership sort that out.

Regardless I would jack up the truck and spin each wheel to make sure your aftermarket wheels are not rubbing on anything.