2021 75th PW...Locker Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wags 1775

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8
A locker actuator is a pretty simple swap out, but I get the frustration especially with a new vehicle and when parts are delayed. I'd be frustrated too.

I'm curious if this is actually a locker actuator issue or if that's just what the book says to fix. That it comes on without actuation sounds like a loose connection somewhere.

Great question. The dealership service department has a good reputation but don't know if they'll be that forthcoming. I'll let you know what they say.

I wondered the same about a possible loose connection. The fault would come on after parking on an incline or maneuvering at lower speeds but turned off at high speed or longer straight-line driving. I thought stopping and starting felt clunky when the fault was on but it may have been my imagination - I only drove it about 30 miles to the dealer once the fault started.

BigLazer4u

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
A locker actuator is a pretty simple swap out, but I get the frustration especially with a new vehicle and when parts are delayed. I'd be frustrated too.

I'm curious if this is actually a locker actuator issue or if that's just what the book says to fix. That it comes on without actuation sounds like a loose connection somewhere.

simple to swap out?

Last edited:

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
the rear actuator is $360. as long as the actuator can be slide over the carrier berings, theres no reason to remove them. and ya, im wondering if thats truly the problem or the dealers diagnosing skills arent very good

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Finally took mine to the dealership today. As usual, service light came on about twenty minutes into my drive. As I was almost to the dealership, the light went out. Then, back on again as I was pulling in.

Service writer took good notes....so we shall see.

Since you are having the same issue with your new truck, I wonder if Ram got a hold of a bad batch of parts.

Please keep me posted on what they find with yours.....I will do the same.

Just heard back from the service department. It is the actuator, waiting for the part, which as of right now isn’t available until mid February .

Hopefully it will be sooner.

2021 Ram 1500 Rebel that I've owned for 16 days, currently with less than 700 miles. and I have the exact same issue - almost exactly as described by OP. Parts will take 5 days to come in and will likely take another day or two to complete repairs. Scanning multiple forums, this seems to be a persistent problem over the past two model years - also finding the same problem in Jeeps. I'm now concerned that I made a mistake by buying a Ram after exclusively owning Ford trucks for the past 21 years.

Questions for long time Ram owners based on your past experience: Do you expect Ram to address this issue, i.e. investigate the persistent cause and provide a long term fix? If these problems persist after warranties expire, would you expect Ram continue to support owners or shift expenses to the owner? If, based on past experience, there are indications that Ram will simply replace bad sensors with bad sensors until warranties expire, I may need to find a different option.

Hello --

I'm glad to hear that you have all taken it upon yourselves to get this properly diagnosed and addressed by your dealers. However, I'm sorry to hear about the possible delays that you may experience. If you'd like me to look into your situations further to see where I can offer assistance, please follow up via private messages with your current mileage & VINS. Thank you!

Courtney
Ram Cares

OP
OP
tjbrowder

tjbrowder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Update.....truck is fixed! Turned out to be the connector on the rear axle. One of the pins was not locked in properly, so was not fully seating even when the connector was locked in. The dealership fixed the connector, and no more service light.

I really appreciate the time they spent diagnosing the problem. The tech that was first working on the truck was ready to say the actuator needed replacement. Another more experienced tech wanted to look a little deeper, and that included inspecting the connector pins. He told me he has seen this before, and always checks the pins on all connectors he comes across regarding potential electrical gremlins. He is very impressed with the work that comes out of the Satillo plant, but at the speed the assembly line workers slap electrical connectors together, this issue pops up from time to time.

Gamedog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
392 c.i.
Update.....truck is fixed! Turned out to be the connector on the rear axle. One of the pins was not locked in properly, so was not fully seating even when the connector was locked in. The dealership fixed the connector, and no more service light.

I really appreciate the time they spent diagnosing the problem. The tech that was first working on the truck was ready to say the actuator needed replacement. Another more experienced tech wanted to look a little deeper, and that included inspecting the connector pins. He told me he has seen this before, and always checks the pins on all connectors he comes across regarding potential electrical gremlins. He is very impressed with the work that comes out of the Satillo plant, but at the speed the assembly line workers slap electrical connectors together, this issue pops up from time to time.

Great!

Did they say these pins are accessible outside of the diff? Or would I need to open it back up to address? Hoping I could check these myself.

OP
OP
tjbrowder

tjbrowder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Great!

Did they say these pins are accessible outside of the diff? Or would I need to open it back up to address? Hoping I could check these myself.
Outside....its the connector that plugs into the diff.

ZPW54

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
TJ thanks for the update, I’ll check mine as well. My dealership has an actuator on order.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

checking the easy stuff first is just mechanics 101 but besides that, im sure the actuator has a very low failure rate and doesnt normally just drop dead on a new truck. sounds like the rookie tech was just moments away from dismantling the entire rear end for no reason.

Gamedog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
392 c.i.
Gotcha.

Will check mine tomorrow to make sure all is seated correctly.

Thanks again man!

Well I went under and checked the connectors on the front and rear. Looked to be fully seated, but the actual connections did seem to be a little more "loose" than I'd expected them to be. They both wiggled around way too easily where they are going into the diff. Could be the issue? Not sure.