2021 75th PW...Locker Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tjbrowder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Good morning folks-
Proud owner of a new 2021 75th. This is my second PW....first was a '15.

So, I have about 300 miles on the clock, and got the dreaded "service axle locker" message. No blinking lights regarding the axle trying to lock.....just the message pops up, and the warning light stays on just above the ECO light.

Interestingly, the message goes out after every shutdown, and then pops back up after about 30 minutes of driving. Before it popped up the last time, I took the truck to test the lockers.....Lockers engaged and disengaged with no issues.

As the truck is under warranty, I will be taking it in for the dealership to diagnose and fix. However, couple of questions first....

1) I have checked the connector at both axles as well as the smart bar....all seem to be okay....anything else to check before a dealership visit?

2) I am sure a code is being stored.....can the dealership pinpoint which axle or smart bar is causing the issue through their diagnostic equipment?

Thanks in advance for your time!

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Hi @tjbrowder ! Sorry to hear about that. It would be a wise decision to set up an appointment with your local Ram dealer since they are best equipped to properly diagnose your concerns. However, if you'd like any additional support while working alongside your dealer, please feel free to send our RamCares team a private message! We'd be happy to look into it further for you.

Courtney
Ram Cares

B Mitty

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Power Wagon 75th
Engine
6.4L
Hey TJ congrats on the truck. Let us know the resolution when you sort it out? What colour did you do?

OP
OP
tjbrowder

tjbrowder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Thanks for the welcome! I went with black.

Have not yet taken the truck to the dealer.....will do so in the next few weeks.

It's interesting how the service message comes on after about 30-40 minutes of driving.....almost like everything needs to get fully warmed up before the fault is detected. I have gone on a couple of 20 minute drives, and nothing.

Dumb question......but from a mechanical aspect (not electrical related), is there the possibility of a break in period for the lockers???

Thanks again! Will update accordingly.

Gamedog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
392 c.i.
Just saw this post.

First congrats on the truck!

If it were me, I'd take the truck off road, engage the lockers and drive with lockers engaged for a good 15 minutes or so to see if it occurs when they've been engaged for a while. Just something I'd do before taking it to the dealer so I can let them know what happened in that scenario.

Maybe the service light would go away after or maybe it'll stay? No matter what, I'd take it in and let the dealer diagnose.

Good luck and let us know what comes about!

OP
OP
tjbrowder

tjbrowder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Just saw this post.

First congrats on the truck!

If it were me, I'd take the truck off road, engage the lockers and drive with lockers engaged for a good 15 minutes or so to see if it occurs when they've been engaged for a while. Just something I'd do before taking it to the dealer so I can let them know what happened in that scenario.

Maybe the service light would go away after or maybe it'll stay? No matter what, I'd take it in and let the dealer diagnose.

Good luck and let us know what comes about!

Excellent advise and thank you! I did take the truck off-road and engaged them to test it out. However, only spent a few minutes with them activated.

Your idea of a longer run is next on the list. If at all possible, I would rather not take the truck to the dealership. In my experience, these type of issues have been met with mixed results regarding repair. If it is an obvious problem, like your door handle popping off, they fix it on the first go. When it is more complicated and requires diagnoses, it usually turns into multiple trips before resolution.

BigLazer4u

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Get it fixed sooner than later, get it documented at the dealer as well.. nothing is cheap when it comes to fixing these trucks. When then warranty goes out and you didn’t fix it for free. You will wish you had.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dumb question......but from a mechanical aspect (not electrical related), is there the possibility of a break in period for the lockers???

no. theres nothing in the locker assembly that has any breakin requirment.

there is however, atleast on the rear and perhaps on the front, two sensor pads that have a prescribed air gap. if the gap is wrong im sure the knob lights will blick and perhaps trigger dash lights and trouble codes. the good news is its very easy to adjust the gap.
its probly best to have to dealer check for codes. if they know what theyre doing, its likely a simple fix im sure

B Mitty

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Power Wagon 75th
Engine
6.4L
Thanks for the welcome! I went with black.

Have not yet taken the truck to the dealer.....will do so in the next few weeks.

It's interesting how the service message comes on after about 30-40 minutes of driving.....almost like everything needs to get fully warmed up before the fault is detected. I have gone on a couple of 20 minute drives, and nothing.

please post pics! I’ve ordered black as well and your first to get one in this colour.

OP
OP
tjbrowder

tjbrowder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Get it fixed sooner than later, get it documented at the dealer as well.. nothing is cheap when it comes to fixing these trucks. When then warranty goes out and you didn’t fix it for free. You will wish you had.

Copy that

B Mitty

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Power Wagon 75th
Engine
6.4L
I know I’ve been all over the place with the silver on rims... but it actually looks really good in the black PW. Best colour I’ve seen yet for stock wheels.

B Mitty

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Power Wagon 75th
Engine
6.4L
Can we get a front side angle ? Please! :)

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I love the retro power wagon decal on the door vs the bed decal.

B Mitty

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Power Wagon 75th
Engine
6.4L
I love the retro power wagon decal on the door vs the bed decal.

I agree for me.

But I think if your going full out off road build, lift etc 37inch tires etc the in your face bed decal is awesome.

B-Wagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Good morning folks-
Proud owner of a new 2021 75th. This is my second PW....first was a '15.

So, I have about 300 miles on the clock, and got the dreaded "service axle locker" message. No blinking lights regarding the axle trying to lock.....just the message pops up, and the warning light stays on just above the ECO light.

Interestingly, the message goes out after every shutdown, and then pops back up after about 30 minutes of driving. Before it popped up the last time, I took the truck to test the lockers.....Lockers engaged and disengaged with no issues.

As the truck is under warranty, I will be taking it in for the dealership to diagnose and fix. However, couple of questions first....

1) I have checked the connector at both axles as well as the smart bar....all seem to be okay....anything else to check before a dealership visit?

2) I am sure a code is being stored.....can the dealership pinpoint which axle or smart bar is causing the issue through their diagnostic equipment?

Thanks in advance for your time!