2021 Ram 1500 Something or Nothing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Whiteymin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I bought a new 2021 Ram 1500 Big Horn. Has 5.7 Hemi (non-etorque) with 3.92 rear end. Has towing package. I been having what seems like an issue. I posted this on another forum but it has slid way down board and I had new information and was hoping someone could decipher it. I’ve read about the droning nose, ANC, MDS etc. it doesn’t seem to be those by things recommended to try. Ok after driving today, I confirm the hum is at 2000 rpm and 50-57 mph. Once I hit 58 mph it goes away or if I drop below 50mph it goes away and or if RPM Drop or rise above 2000 rpm it goes away. It is kind of a hum/vibration. It sounds like it’s turning. It hums and fades then hums again then fades in a rhythm kinda way My wife has heard it once but otherwise states she cannot hear it so I think I may be feeling it through steering wheel and pedal but I feel like I hear it. While it was doing it today I tried switching to nuetral and no difference. I hit gear minus on steering wheel and no difference, I hit tow/ haul mode button and no difference. It stays. If I let my foot off gas pedal the hum goes away. ANC is bypassed Why would it just be limited to this RPM range and speed range and not be present if outside of those ranges? Could it be exhaust or muffler related ??? Or maybe it’s not an issue at all and just characteristic of the truck. The truck is very powerful. Doesn’t feel like anything is wrong with it except this Anyone have any ideas?

Last edited:

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
I had that same kind of droning noise at a certain speed. I unplugged the ANC and noise went away. the ANC works by emitting a certain frequency of sound to cancel out noise. that frequency was just right for my ears to go crazy. the connections for the ANC are under the driver seat and easy to undo. take a pic before you do it in case you want to reconnect later.

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Sounds like exhaust resonance to me.

Irishthreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Agree with MADDOG that it is a resonance of some sort. Your speed and rpm are creating just the right vibration/frequency to cause something else to vibrate.

heefageLA

Reaction score
Ram Year
05, 14, 17, 20, 23
I put a Borla Pro-xs muffler and 5" tips on my 4th gen. At just below 2,000rpm I had a terrible drone inside the cab. It was so bad my wife refused to even ride in my truck sometimes.

heefageLA

Reaction score
Ram Year
05, 14, 17, 20, 23
That's not necessarily all bad!

Wife: Do you want to go to my friends house for Sunday dinner?

Me: Want to ride in my truck since you're low on fuel?

Looks like we'll both be sitting uncomfortable and slightly annoyed for an hour and a half.... :cool:

Maldiny19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I bought a new 2021 Ram 1500 Big Horn. Has 5.7 Hemi (non-etorque) with 3.92 rear end. Has towing package. I been having what seems like an issue. I posted this on another forum but it has slid way down board and I had new information and was hoping someone could decipher it. I’ve read about the droning nose, ANC, MDS etc. it doesn’t seem to be those by things recommended to try. Ok after driving today, I confirm the hum is at 2000 rpm and 50-57 mph. Once I hit 58 mph it goes away or if I drop below 50mph it goes away and or if RPM Drop or rise above 2000 rpm it goes away. It is kind of a hum/vibration. It sounds like it’s turning. It hums and fades then hums again then fades in a rhythm kinda way My wife has heard it once but otherwise states she cannot hear it so I think I may be feeling it through steering wheel and pedal but I feel like I hear it. While it was doing it today I tried switching to nuetral and no difference. I hit gear minus on steering wheel and no difference, I hit tow/ haul mode button and no difference. It stays. If I let my foot off gas pedal the hum goes away. ANC is bypassed Why would it just be limited to this RPM range and speed range and not be present if outside of those ranges? Could it be exhaust or muffler related ??? Or maybe it’s not an issue at all and just characteristic of the truck. The truck is very powerful. Doesn’t feel like anything is wrong with it except this Anyone have any ideas?
I have a 21 1500 with the same set up with 3.93 rear and while I didnt hear a noise, I did notice a very slight vibration in the gas pedal at 2000 RPM range as well. It freaked me out at first cause I thought it was the transmission or something in the drive line, but trans shifts smoothly. Since the truck is only a month old I doubt it is anything in the from the transfer case or driveshaft, but I am new to RAM so maybe all options are on the table.

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
It does sound like an exhaust noise but in my case, no noise after disable the ANC.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963