2022 Ram 2500 Tire Pressue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lee22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
My new Ram 2500 was purchased with LT275/70R 18E tires. It was delivered with the tires filled to 80 psi which is what is shown on the tire itself for max pressure. However, the door sticker states to fill them to 60 psi. What is the correct running tire pressure? Unloaded? Towing a travel trailer (800 lb tongue weight)?

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
My door sticker list 60 PSI in all 4 tires, its what I have them set at right now, I've been told 65-75 PSI for rear depending on tow weight, 65-70 front for towing, if you have Firestone tires ask your local dealer to be sure what they recommend for towing, I can say this is way different air pressure settings from my old 2006 2500 CTD..

Eric Troup

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
80psi is the maximum cold tire pressure your tire can handle and at that pressure it can handle its maximum load. 80psi is not automatically the only recommended tire pressure.

Put your truck on the CAT scales and get weight for each axle. You could do this when in a normal load configuration and when heavily loaded or towing.

Divide the weight by two to get weight on each steering axle tire and each driving axle tire. Get a tire / pressure chart from tire manufacturer. Look up recommended tire pressure for each weight you measured and calculated. Compare to vehicle door sticker. Use your own judgement.

If you change wheel and/or tire sizes, the door sticker data would likely become inaccurate. The method outlined above always works. For instance, I changed to wider wheel and a load range E rated tire but in a different size. It achieved its max load at 65psi. Other tire options stated 80psi was max psi for max load.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
NEVER go by the pressure that is imprint on the tire itself
That tire is designed to work on several different sized vehicles, some heavier, some lighter.

Rams Engineers are the ones who print the sticker on the door post, the sticker covers the vehicles curb weight, full tank of gas, nothing in the bed, nothing in the cab.
when you put weight in either place, you MAY need to Air Up, but, i would almost think that when you are near 800 pounds in the bed or were going to load up a trailer, would be the time to air up.
Then lower the pressure back down when the job is done

watch for tire bulge when loaded

But, that is just me

Last edited:

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I started a thread here recently on this same topic:

Irishthreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Agree with all comments. They inflate to tire max from the factory, not what your particular truck calls for. My 2500 sticker says 65R, 60F and all 4 had 80 when I picked it up. 80 in the front left steering a little wonky

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Agree with all comments. They inflate to tire max from the factory, not what your particular truck calls for. My 2500 sticker says 65R, 60F and all 4 had 80 when I picked it up. 80 in the front left steering a little wonky

Thank the lawyers.

They come filled all to max pressure to prevent the idiots from loading to max payload and not inflating tires to match. So they give you an empty dump truck to drive home to re-adjust yourself.

Interestingly, my Gen IV 2017 Ram 2500 sticker says 65 psi front and 80 psi rear. Then they went and updated the software to issue a warning 5 psi lower than these. Annoying if you wanna set your rears down to 65 psi when unloaded.

Anyway, truck came with E rated 20 inch dia. rims, so not sure why newer 2500's only call for 60 psi?

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I think that there is a much different reason for the tires to be Over Inflated when they leave to assembly plant.

Whether the vehicle is transported by semi truck car hauler or Autorack Rail Car, the Vehicles have to be tied down. The method of tying vehicles down is either by 3/8ths inch chain, or by web straps.
The chain type is hardly ever used, unless the vehicle weighs 1 ton or more & they are fastened to the Frame, using J Hooks, etc.
The web straps are used on smaller vehicles & they are secured around the tires.

During transportation, the tires are over inflated, because the tires are part of the Suspension, just like the Springs. They want the Suspension to be RIGID
The vehicle can not bounce up an down, or left & right, especially on those low profile Metal rails on a semi truck.

You would think that when the vehicle arrives at the dealership, they should lower the tires air pressure, just like they detail the vehicle & take it out of SHIP Mode, especially when it has Air Suspension

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
For a better ride I run mine between 50-60. I tow heavy & have never had an issue. Tires don't bulge at all when loaded & the ride is so much better.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
The tires come aired to 80 pounds from the factory so they don't flat spot from sitting and for purposes of transport as previously mentioned. When the dealer PDIs your truck they are supposed to air them down to the door sticker. Good dealers do, poorer ones don't. Have to ask yourself, if they miss the tire pressure, what else did they miss on the PDI check list.

Here is a link, this specific one is for the Duratracs I run, same size as yours, but you can find other makes by scrolling down to the Tire make list and click on yours.

https://tirepressure.com/lt275-70r18-tire-pressure

My truck sticker says 65 rear, 60 front, I run 50 (chart says 10,720 load split evenly on all four tires) all around based on the loads I carry and at that pressure I am over max GVW. I could drop to 40 all around for everyday use based on my normal loaded weight.

I get a low tire warning from the TPS every time I start the truck and the yellow tire warning light is always on. The dealer is not allowed to change the TPS limits. You can reset TPS limits with Alpha OBD but I have never bothered to get one, and the security cable that you need to run it.

Last edited:

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
Mostly they are inflated to max at the factory to help prevent flat spots in the tires while it sits at a rail yard for who knows how long before being delivered to the dealer. Then the dealer will leave them at max psi while the vehicle sits on the lot.

Why they are still at max when you take delivery is due to a lazy tech doing the PDI who should have reduced the pressure to what is indicated on the door sticker.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
The tires come aired to 80 pounds from the factory so they don't flat spot from sitting and for purposes of transport as previously mentioned. When the dealer PDIs your truck they are supposed to air them down to the door sticker. Good dealers do, poorer ones don't. Have to ask yourself, if they miss the tire pressure, what else did they miss on the PDI check list.

Here is a link, this specific one is for the Duratracs I run, same size as yours, but you can find other makes by scrolling down to the Tire make list and click on yours.

https://tirepressure.com/lt275-70r18-tire-pressure

My truck sticker says 65 rear, 60 front, I run 50 (chart says 10,720 load split evenly on all four tires) all around based on the loads I carry and at that pressure I am over max GVW. I could drop to 40 all around for everyday use based on my normal loaded weight.

I get a low tire warning from the TPS every time I start the truck and the yellow tire warning light is always on. The dealer is not allowed to change the TPS limits. You can reset TPS limits with Alpha OBD but I have never bothered to get one, and the security cable that you need to run it.

+1

inthe307

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Bighorn 2500
Engine
6.4L Hemi
What happened with mine was the dealer deflated and refilled the tires with nitrogen, which is nice, but they grossly overinflated the tires (80psi). I deflated them back to the door sticker pressures after seeing what the TPMS reported on the dashboard.

As was stated before, the door sill sticker is the OEM pressure setting for the truck given the tires listed on the sticker. Go by that.

I did tell my dealer what I saw, and they have added that to something they check for when doing dealer prep quality checks.

Tom6363

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4x4
Engine
6.4/3.73
My 2014 2500 Heavy Duty, won't let me run the backs under 80. The dash lights up and I HAVE to inflate them to 80 when they are first installed or rotated and balanced, then I can lower them. I do run the fronts at 65 and the back at 75, I get just over 15mpg with a 6.4.

Tom6363

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4x4
Engine
6.4/3.73
My truck (2014, 2500HD with the 6.4) has to have the rears inflated to 80 when installed or rotated or the dash light comes on indicating a need to do so. They can then be deflated to your preference.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
My truck (2014, 2500HD with the 6.4) has to have the rears inflated to 80 when installed or rotated or the dash light comes on indicating a need to do so. They can then be deflated to your preference.

My experience is the software warn point is 70 psi rear and 60 psi front. I run 75/65.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
My experience is the software warn point is 70 psi rear and 60 psi front. I run 75/65.
All depends on the year of the truck. My 2021 says 60 front 65 rear, low tire warning comes on after I drop to 10 pounds lower than specified, so 50 front 55 rear. To get the light to go out you have to bring the tires back to 1 pound above recommended. Since I run empty most of time, my low tire light warning is always on as I run 45 front and back now that it is winter. If I had more stuff to adjust I would get an AlphaObd and cable, but seems pricey just to reset the TPMS limits.

Last edited:

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Don't understand why the 2500 with Hemi needs that much air in the tires my old 2006 2500 4x4 w/CTD I would run 60 front 55 rear winter, 65/60 summer not towing, my 22 2500 4x4 with CTD the rear end of my truck tips the Oregon DOT scale at 3300 with 3 adults 2 dogs with full fuel tank, about 6 gallons of def and a few other items or 3150 with less people and less fuel & def.