2022 Warlock - Defective Heated Steering Wheel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Giorgio_Rampa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 3.6L
This started last night, the heated steering wheel comes on then shuts off after 2 seconds (as shown in the video).
You no longer hear the relay going on when you press the button.

That same night, it started to work 4 hours later...

I'm bringing it to the dealer in 2 weeks (earliest appointment) and I filmed it just incase they don't believe anything.
Has anyone encountered this? If so, what was the fix?

Thanks!

Video showing the issue:

OP
OP
Giorgio_Rampa

Giorgio_Rampa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 3.6L
There’s a small plug that connects behind the horn panel on the steering wheel. My steering wheel heater wasn’t working the day I bought it. The dealer tech popped the horn panel off, seated the connector, and everything has worked properly ever since.

Did you have the same symptoms? or it didn't work at all?

BuschLatte420

chill water by day, drink beer by night
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 classic tradesmen crew cab 6’4 box
Engine
5.7L NON E-TORQUE 3.92 gears 4x4
Off topic but do you have heated bench seats in your truck?

BuschLatte420

chill water by day, drink beer by night
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 classic tradesmen crew cab 6’4 box
Engine
5.7L NON E-TORQUE 3.92 gears 4x4
Yes, in the video the heated seats are on and are working just fine.
Ahh I see you have buckets not the bench seat. Was going to ask if your heated seats seem weak. I have the bench seat and they are totally weak

OP
OP
Giorgio_Rampa

Giorgio_Rampa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 3.6L
Ahh I see you have buckets not the bench seat. Was going to ask if your heated seats seem weak. I have the bench seat and they are totally weak
Ahh ok, I didn't know you could get the bench heated, the bucket seats can get hot, but again, they're always on the low setting and I hardly ever use it.
For what it's worth, I rather heated steering wheel over a heated seat/bench.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This started last night, the heated steering wheel comes on then shuts off after 2 seconds (as shown in the video).
You no longer hear the relay going on when you press the button.

That same night, it started to work 4 hours later...

I'm bringing it to the dealer in 2 weeks (earliest appointment) and I filmed it just incase they don't believe anything.
Has anyone encountered this? If so, what was the fix?

Thanks!

Video showing the issue:

I had a heated steering wheel that intermittently would shut off, about a year ago.

After I fully seated all the fuses in the TIPM, it worked 100% of the time.

I discovered that the majority of the fuses seemed to be about 2mm short of being fully seated.

I believe Dean posted about adding this 'fuse seating procedure' into a regular maintenance activity because they notoriously loosen over time and create various electrical gremlins.

OP
OP
Giorgio_Rampa

Giorgio_Rampa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 3.6L
I had a heated steering wheel that intermittently would shut off, about a year ago.

After I fully seated all the fuses in the TIPM, it worked 100% of the time.

I discovered that the majority of the fuses seemed to be about 2mm short of being fully seated.

I believe Dean posted about adding this 'fuse seating procedure' into a regular maintenance activity because they notoriously loosen over time and create various electrical gremlins.

Good to know, thank you!

OP
OP
Giorgio_Rampa

Giorgio_Rampa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 3.6L
You would push the button, the button would light up for about 2 seconds then turn off. No sounds or clicking. It was like it was unplugged…. Which it was.

That's exactly what's in the video that I posted.

Thanks again!

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No, I have an appointment to bring it to the dealer next week, but the problem hasn't happened since I filmed it.

LOL, isn't that the definition of intermittent occurrence?

The dealership are not magicians of any sort and they don't have a magic wand.

The solution of seating the fuses was 100% productive for an apparently identical fault on my truck.

Best of luck to you.

Sol-Invictus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Etorque
My new truck 23 purchased on 10/28 was throwing several codes including the Christmas tree of death and so i scheduled an appointment with the dealer, but before hand I went through both the internal under dash fuse box (7mm bolts by the way) and under hood panel and was SHOCKED at all the loose fuses, a couple under that dash litterally could have fallen out with a strong wind. Seated them all as well and checked every other connector I could access and have not had anything since. Checking the fuse seating is supposed to be part of the pre delivery inspection but it does not seem to be done by most dealers.

OP
OP
Giorgio_Rampa

Giorgio_Rampa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 3.6L
LOL, isn't that the definition of intermittent occurrence?

The dealership are not magicians of any sort and they don't have a magic wand.

The solution of seating the fuses was 100% productive for an apparently identical fault on my truck.

Best of luck to you.

Hopefully they'll check that, the appointment is actually for an oil change, but if they fail to check that, I'll do so myself.

Teak

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi
I had this same exact issue on my 2022 power wagon. Turns out it was a broken clock spring. Replaced it under warranty and 45000 miles later, no issues.

Teak

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi
Ooppps only 4500 miles. I drive it a lot but not that much!

OP
OP
Giorgio_Rampa

Giorgio_Rampa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 3.6L
I had this same exact issue on my 2022 power wagon. Turns out it was a broken clock spring. Replaced it under warranty and 45000 miles later, no issues.

Thanks for the info!

Good to know it's under warranty

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is isn't fixing the issue, but just explaining what is going on. The reason when you hit the button to turn the heated steering wheel on and it goes out after a few seconds is that the ECM is detecting either an open circuit or a short. Either case it knows something is wrong and turns off the power going through the circuit. The open circuit is just like it sounds, like it is unplugged. Anything from a loose fuse, loose connectiong/unplugged (including at the clock spring), broken wire harness, or even a break in the steering wheel heating element. The short means the power wire is grounding out. For example the 12v power wire is broke and exposed, and touching some other metal surface. Often the ECM (or BCM maybe in this case) can detect that and shuts down the power before it blows a fuse or burns up the wiring.
Intermittent electrical issues like this are extremely hard to track down and fix. If the issue isn't occurring right at the moment there is no way to verify what is causing the issue. In this case the only option is throwing parts at it and hope you get lucky, and not way to verify you actually fixed it at that time. Obviously you can do a visual inspection, verify the fuses are seated, and double-check the connections are tight. Then it's just a waiting game to see if the issue comes back....and always the question of whether the issue came back because it wasn't truly fixed to begin with, or there is a new reason for it!