2022 Warlock - Defective Heated Steering Wheel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Giorgio_Rampa

Giorgio_Rampa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 3.6L
This is isn't fixing the issue, but just explaining what is going on. The reason when you hit the button to turn the heated steering wheel on and it goes out after a few seconds is that the ECM is detecting either an open circuit or a short. Either case it knows something is wrong and turns off the power going through the circuit. The open circuit is just like it sounds, like it is unplugged. Anything from a loose fuse, loose connectiong/unplugged (including at the clock spring), broken wire harness, or even a break in the steering wheel heating element. The short means the power wire is grounding out. For example the 12v power wire is broke and exposed, and touching some other metal surface. Often the ECM (or BCM maybe in this case) can detect that and shuts down the power before it blows a fuse or burns up the wiring.
Intermittent electrical issues like this are extremely hard to track down and fix. If the issue isn't occurring right at the moment there is no way to verify what is causing the issue. In this case the only option is throwing parts at it and hope you get lucky, and not way to verify you actually fixed it at that time. Obviously you can do a visual inspection, verify the fuses are seated, and double-check the connections are tight. Then it's just a waiting game to see if the issue comes back....and always the question of whether the issue came back because it wasn't truly fixed to begin with, or there is a new reason for it!

Thanks!

I checked all the fuses, everything is seated correctly.
The problem came back, something is definitely lose/broken, cause I just have to hit a bump and it will turn itself off (if it's on).

mmihalek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have a 2022 Laramie 2500 with the UConnect 12 and my heated steering wheel stopped working this past weekend. I turn it on and within two seconds it turns off. I checked the fuse and it is fine, even swapping it with another that used the same fuse. Checked all the connections under the seat and they seem to be good. I have about 26k miles on it, so hoping I can get it taken care of under warranty. I have an appointment scheduled for that and an issue with using the UConnect and Apple Car Play. I may have to check into an extended service contract with these issues popping up lately.

21SilverRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is weird. Mine would work this way. I would turn it on the heating light would flash and then shut off. I would then turn off and restart my truck and it would work like it’s supposed to. It was quite frustrating! Then one day I never had an issue with it again has worked fine for over a year.

star_deceiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Had the heated wheel turn itself off last week. When I pushed the button to turn it back on it would turn itself off after two seconds but there was no relay click. Restarting the truck would have the heated wheel working again, for all of 45 seconds. Then it would do the two second thing with no relay click. Fuses were seated.

I popped the airbag off and reseated the connector. The white one. The wheel heater has worked flawlessly ever since.
IMG_20240104_154225.jpg

OP
OP
Giorgio_Rampa

Giorgio_Rampa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 3.6L
Had the heated wheel turn itself off last week. When I pushed the button to turn it back on it would turn itself off after two seconds but there was no relay click. Restarting the truck would have the heated wheel working again, for all of 45 seconds. Then it would do the two second thing with no relay click. Fuses were seated.

I popped the airbag off and reseated the connector. The white one. The wheel heater has worked flawlessly ever since.
View attachment 535639

Thanks! Mine has been working fine for the past month now.
I'll do the same check when it gets a bit warmer outside.