2023 Bighorn 5.7L first oil change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wrigley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is the first RAM I have ever owned.
Getting close to my first oil change and I've been looking at videos of earlier year models and it looks like it's a real PITA to change the oil on this engine? I have changed the oil in every vehicle that I have owned over the years and I can't say any of them had so many things in the way of the draining oil pan and filter. It looks like this is going to be very messy!
Any tips/tricks would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Mike

bucktruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is the first RAM I have ever owned.
Getting close to my first oil change and I've been looking at videos of earlier year models and it looks like it's a real PITA to change the oil on this engine? I have changed the oil in every vehicle that I have owned over the years and I can't say any of them had so many things in the way of the draining oil pan and filter. It looks like this is going to be very messy!
Any tips/tricks would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Mike
2020 4x4 5.7....I've tried the many methods, ie ziplok bags (the can rip when maneuvering/removing filter), poke hole in filter bottom, diverting, etc., they all still make a MESS!. I use the larger filters so that also makes it more difficult. The issue is that, once the filter is unscrewed and lowered I have to turn it on its side and maneuver out of the obstacles/hoses, etc. I've seen filter 'plugs/caps' for diesel or other applications, but could not find one for 'our' engines/filters, so I went to ACE hardware and got a 1/2" pvc plug and a 4" rounded electrical box plate with a knock-out center hole. I had the 2 O-rings that tightly fit the pvc plug, and $3 later BINGO!! You still need to collect or mop the small amount of oil that will drip when the filter is loosened, then when the filter is lowered to the steering rack you have enough room to secure this sealing plate to the filter and it can then rotate on its side (full of oil) for removal. Note: The inner O-ring doesn't seal anything, it just holds the pvc plug to the plate. Also, (4 pics' attached) one pic of the sealing plate shows the filters' outside circumference that can be cut/grinded off, though I did not need to. Hope this helps others to avoid a messy situation....bucktruck

Attachments

• Assy1.jpg
    Assy1.jpg
    236.2 KB · Views: 24
  • Assy3.jpg
    Assy3.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 23
  • Seal components.jpg
    Seal components.jpg
    216.5 KB · Views: 23
  • Assy5.jpg
    Assy5.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 24

slickracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I drap an old t shirt over the power steering rack and put a gallon freezer bag around the filter.

Pines19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I put a dog pee pad just under the filter covering everything else. Very little mess and just wipe up anything that the pad misses. I got a whole package of pads at Menards for very little. Works for me.

Bigdaddyii

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Changed the oil Wednesday on my 2019 I bought a couple months ago, what a sharp pain in the testicles! I installed a Fumoto on the sump to hopefully help minimize mess in that area and it’s easier to flip a valve than keep breaking out a wrench or socket.

For the filter I used the gallon size ziplock and it contained the majority but a bit still leaked. It is quite painstaking to make this work though so I explored other options and ran across a Form a funnel. I bought a cheaper version and know it will work to keep oil from splashing on the sway bar, and I have an idea for the filter but not sure if I’ll be able to make it work. I’ll update after my next oil change with results if anyone is interested.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Check out the oil filter thread, page 1 and 93 are some great facts. Generally the larger filters from early 4 gens will fit, but I'd buy only one til you know for a fact, I havent seen anything that tops the royal purple 20-820. You may want the smaller filter on hand in case, but it is like 99% of people can use the larger filter. It is hugely beneficial, plenty of info in oil filter thread. Smaller filters in some brands even get manufacturer tsb's saying dont use them on hemi's because of flow and code issues. Something not recorded even once with the larger filter. In early 4 gens they had the larger filter, then with upgrades in 2012 or 13 they started using small filters eventhough the larger still fit. Yes there was a reason the upgrade to the steering components took up more room. How much r&d do you think ram really did on the smaller filter? Plenty of us think zero, they just used it out of convenience most likely. The reason for the tsb is not one of capacity, it is actually that the smaller filters do not flow as good as the larger, which with a hemi lubrication is an issue. Everything you can do with lubrication strategy has been proven to be effective even against hemi tick. Often times tick is a filter issue, you change the filter and the tick stops in some cases, happened to me myself, and the 82-820 was what I used in place of the filter and has never ticked on my truck. Fram Ultra is another top choice, I believe it is xg2 that is the larger size.

Put a gallon bag around the oil filter right as you break it loose, I don't see why anyone says it is difficult, but having some ramps makes it a lot more comfortable. The 4 most used oil in order are Pennzoil number one, m1 number 2, amsoil ss 3, and redline is 4. This is different then most polls you will randomly get because of the cam/lifter issues that are prevalent, that is why you see expensive high performance oils in 3 and 4 spot. If you get a used oil analysis it does help you see early warning signs, it is good piece of mind. As long as you don't have tick and when you get a uoa it is clean, modern oils the latest specs there is little reason to spend more. The plastic bag truck works, it is literally possible to not spill a drop if you are patient, but even if you do think of it as waterproofing anyhow. Hemi's are high wear engines, usually the first uoa's are so bad, as long as their are no issues, maybe hold off a couple intervals until you get the newness washed out of that engine, and then get a uoa. Blackstone is a great lab when time. In 4 gen stickies there is a blackstone lab thread.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
What ever filter you buy,open up the box and look very close at the louvers/holes inside it,before you pay for it.
The last Fram XG2 i bought had maybe 1/2 the louvers opened up,i returned it,but it's now trained me to pull the filters out of the box and look them over very close before i pay for the filter

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Ramfanski

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Dealer has Pennzoil full synthetic oil change for 50 $. I quit changing my own oil…. Hard to beat.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie 4x4 QC, True Blue Pearl
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Dealer has Pennzoil full synthetic oil change for 50 $. I quit changing my own oil…. Hard to beat.

That's a little cheaper than my dealer, good deal. Mine charges around $220 for 4 oil changes in a 2 year period.

Do you and me a favor, because I'm curious about the oil.
My dealer uses a Mopar filter, and I'm told they use Pennzoil
synthetic 5w-20. When I asked them which of the Pennzoil
synthetics they use, well, see link for all the choices...

I just got a dumb look. The Service Writer said a big truck comes and makes a delivery, but check with Parts dept because they actually order it.

Asked Parts guy, he gave me the Mopar part number that comes up as "Mopar Oil".

WTF? I asked what is "Mopar Oil". He just shrugged.

My 2014 1500 has been nice and quiet and it's sitting right at 105,000 miles right now. I have a sample at Blackstone waiting for testing. Very curious, this is my first used oil analysis, ever.

But I'm feeling fairly confident I can do better for my Hemi than these clueless looks from my dealer.

Ramfanski

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
That's a little cheaper than my dealer, good deal. Mine charges around $220 for 4 oil changes in a 2 year period.

Do you and me a favor, because I'm curious about the oil.
My dealer uses a Mopar filter, and I'm told they use Pennzoil
synthetic 5w-20. When I asked them which of the Pennzoil
synthetics they use, well, see link for all the choices...

I just got a dumb look. The Service Writer said a big truck comes and makes a delivery, but check with Parts dept because they actually order it.

Asked Parts guy, he gave me the Mopar part number that comes up as "Mopar Oil".

WTF? I asked what is "Mopar Oil". He just shrugged.

My 2014 1500 has been nice and quiet and it's sitting right at 105,000 miles right now. I have a sample at Blackstone waiting for testing. Very curious, this is my first used oil analysis, ever.

But I'm feeling fairly confident I can do better for my Hemi than these clueless looks from my dealer
There’s a Mopar $15 off full synthetic oil change coupon that’s almost always available. They offer full synthetic oil changes for 65 bucks all the time. So I can always get it for 50 bucks.

I asked him the same question ans you about their Pennzoil full synthetic. I was hoping I could pay a little more and get the ultra platinum but they only offer full synthetic. I think it’s the same as the link you posted. Essentially, it’s probably the cheapest full synthetic oil pennzoil offers. The service manager told me that’s what comes in the truck when you buy it.

Last edited:

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie 4x4 QC, True Blue Pearl
Engine
5.7L Hemi
There’s a Mopar $15 off full synthetic oil change coupon that’s almost always available. They offer full synthetic oil changes for 65 bucks all the time. So I can always get it for 50 bucks.

I asked him the same question ans you about their Pennzoil full synthetic. I was hoping I could pay a little more and get the ultra platinum but they only offer full synthetic. I think it’s the same as the link you posted. Essentially, it’s probably the cheapest full synthetic oil pennzoil offers. The service manager told me that’s what comes in the truck when you buy it.

That's a better answer than I got. Now if I can just get them to use a decent filter.

Where do you find the coupons?

Ramfanski

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi