2024 HD Truck Tire Recommendations? HT / LT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Yeah, I'm no fan of Hankooks. Dealers seem to keep wanting to push them on me because "they're almost as good, but cheap". Um, no.

My boy tried them once and they were just that - cheap. Poor traction, poor life.

So, based only on a Hankook experience I don't think provides a basis for saying all HT tires = junk for all season truck tires.
I had a rear Hankook with less than 8k miles blow while I was headed down a mountain. It was horrifying. Got to a tire store to find that 2 of the other 3 had separated belts as well. Haven't owned them since.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I’d check out Continental terrain contact HT in load range E.

OP
OP
HEMIMANN

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I’d check out Continental terrain contact HT in load range E.

They are the top rated HT tire on Tire Rack for performance. However, they have historical quality issues with out of round difficulty to balance, and ply delamination with age, with noise and vibration. This is endemic across their tire lines.

I tried a Conti Tire once, and experienced this exact phenomenon noted by Tire Rack reviewers - damn near impossible to balance, and started delamming ~ 25k miles, wobbling, and noisy.

And over the past several years, reviewers are noticing the same with Michelin. Locally, the word is don't buy them anymore. Even in the motorcycle world, owners are getting tread delams and blowouts.

We are wondering if the green material indicatives are compromising durability and longevity.

Nobody seems to know about Goodyear commercial tiers. I switched from Michelin to Goodyear on my RV and they rode and tracked much better, with more resistance to sunlight cracking. The compound was softer, so didn't last as long, but why would I want a hard tire with so-so traction that lasts longer than good traction tires? It's dumb, IMO.

Tires and brakes are the most important parts on vehicles. If you compromise tires, you can kill yourself.

jaflowers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Been on a set of the Grabber ATx for three years now and am pretty pleased. I can't run a highway tire as I'm off-road 3 weeks a year hunting in rough and snowy terrain and of course road daily driving in Colorado in the winter needs better tread for snow and ice. For the little in gas money it costs I'd still go for the ATx tires if I was on-road all year.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
They are the top rated HT tire on Tire Rack for performance. However, they have historical quality issues with out of round difficulty to balance, and ply delamination with age, with noise and vibration. This is endemic across their tire lines.

I tried a Conti Tire once, and experienced this exact phenomenon noted by Tire Rack reviewers - damn near impossible to balance, and started delamming ~ 25k miles, wobbling, and noisy.

And over the past several years, reviewers are noticing the same with Michelin. Locally, the word is don't buy them anymore. Even in the motorcycle world, owners are getting tread delams and blowouts.

We are wondering if the green material indicatives are compromising durability and longevity.

Nobody seems to know about Goodyear commercial tiers. I switched from Michelin to Goodyear on my RV and they rode and tracked much better, with more resistance to sunlight cracking. The compound was softer, so didn't last as long, but why would I want a hard tire with so-so traction that lasts longer than good traction tires? It's dumb, IMO.

Tires and brakes are the most important parts on vehicles. If you compromise tires, you can kill yourself.
Interesting, I’ve had good success with Conti on my wife’s jeeps since 2004 and now on my Ram 1500, but good info. Thanks

mdc1990zr1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
are you talking the Transforce AT..still trying to decide.have come across a set of 295/60 R20 michelin defender ltx..50 miles take-offs for 900$ so trying to also get some reviews from folks that had them.
Yes, Firestone Transforce ATs

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
If I had the option to pick up a set of Michelins for $900 vs the Transforce I'd definitely choose the Michelins. The Transforce tires don't have the best reputation for haulers. I was glad to get them off my 3500.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
If I had the option to pick up a set of Michelins for $900 vs the Transforce I'd definitely choose the Michelins. The Transforce tires don't have the best reputation for haulers. I was glad to get them off my 3500.
They didn't earn the nick name Trashforce for being an excellent tire

EastWestHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
6.4 w/4.10s
I have Falken A/T’s on mine. Probably 25k miles on so far and will get another 15-20k out of them. The original firestones were slicks after 23k miles.

OP
OP
HEMIMANN

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
They didn't earn the nick name Trashforce for being an excellent tire

So many OEM truck factory tires are junk. Cheap.

Transforce is so bad they tried to rename it from Steeltex in a lame attempt to fool people I to believing it was "new & improved'. Nope. I've had them both. Same junk as ever with different names.

Another godawful tire is all season Goodyear Wrangler ST. Came with Chevy trucks. One of the worst rated tires on Tire Rack reviews. I can confirm that also.

EastWestHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
6.4 w/4.10s
has anyone ever had a tire on a new car last more than 25k miles? I sure haven’t.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
has anyone ever had a tire on a new car last more than 25k miles? I sure haven’t.
Yes, it was a set of factory Michelin LT A/S on my 2006 2500 4x4 w/ CDT, that set lasted 12 years & over 70K ( had decanted snow tires for winter) I wanted to buy another set when it came time to replace them but they stopped making that tire :(

OP
OP
HEMIMANN

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
So, I'm trying the Goodyear Workhorse HT Range E tire, based on all HT tire reviews on Tire Rack.
Again, Michelin Defender discontinued in this size, and I've had tread separation issues with Contis, as have Tire Rack reviewers.
Nice and fresh, made in 1st week of Jan.

20240319_134909.jpg