2024 HD Truck Tire Recommendations? HT / LT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JosephPukala

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is that issue worth the extra cost and 1.5 mpg loss of fuel economy? I can count the few times I've actually used AT capability.
For me yes it is because they cool too. Added benefit discovered when I came home from the scrap yard with 4 nails in one tire. The all stuck in the knobbies and did not puncture.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
well my 2500 came with the transforce and besides towing our 10,000# 5th wheel we use the truck for trips and I hear from folks that have them that the transforce tires suck on snow and wet roads so I want to change to something that will stand up to towing and also be good in all road conditions. looking for ideas and so far am liking what I hear about the falkens but not hearing from folks that tow much or carry a load.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I can't speak for Falkens but for an AT tire, the Coopers are hard to beat for the conditions you mentioned and heavy towing. I hauled 16.5k lbs with mine frequently and never had an issue. I towed a lighter trailer with some General Grabber ATs on my old F250 and really couldn't complain on those either.

For HTs... the transforce did suck. The Michelins do well though.

OP
OP
HEMIMANN

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
well my 2500 came with the transforce and besides towing our 10,000# 5th wheel we use the truck for trips and I hear from folks that have them that the transforce tires suck on snow and wet roads so I want to change to something that will stand up to towing and also be good in all road conditions. looking for ideas and so far am liking what I hear about the falkens but not hearing from folks that tow much or carry a load.

I've had two sets of those junkers, both on new Rams. Look at Tire Rack ratings if you don't believe me. They are so bad, to me they are dangerous on wet roads. I got rid of mine immediately.

I started this thread for non-AT tires. I see you are in the same predicament. To date, at least according to Tire Rack Survey, the top three HT for HD trucks are Michelin Defenders, Continental HT, and Goodyear Workhorse HT.

I keep hearing Michelin problems with balance and delamination across the board, even to motorcycles. @Burla has posted some information related to issues with using recycled materials.

Posters on this site have noted recent problems with Cooper as well. I had Continental long ago that separated.

I have been running General Grabber ATX, and they have been excellent, everything reviewers noted they do. But their HT is not rated highly. General is owned by Continental now, btw.

Goodyear has historically made a good medium duty truck tire. Those on my RV were excellent, but their consumer tires have never been good.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I posted on known issues with cooper, and yes michelin is headed down the yogurt cup tires route, but as of yet I have not heard issues with this brand. Whether or not you want to drive on used yogurt cups in the name of some hoax of the day, that is your business, I would chose something different. Look at mission statements and always go with companies who care about safety first and nothing second.

OP
OP
HEMIMANN

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I posted on known issues with cooper, and yes michelin is headed down the yogurt cup tires route, but as of yet I have not heard issues with this brand. Whether or not you want to drive on used yogurt cups in the name of some hoax of the day, that is your business, I would chose something different. Look at mission statements and always go with companies who care about safety first and nothing second.

Which brand, Mike?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I have not heard issue with michelin, just dont prefer the direction they are taking.

OP
OP
HEMIMANN

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Thx

Around here people are reporting quality problems. The two phenomenon started near the same time, so correlation without data to prove causation.
But that's all we get these days.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Thx

Around here people are reporting quality problems. The two phenomenon started near the same time, so correlation without data to prove causation.
But that's all we get these days.
that does NOT surprise me. The larger the hoax, the more people are gonna die from it. It hardly matters if you want to support some marketing campaign that claims to save the polar bears if you buy this recycled plastic bracelet rah rah. But if you put your kids in their child seats then drive for 500 miles on yogurt cup tires with 20k miles on them, then dont complain when you collect your darwin award.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Before I start... I'm not arguing anything you've said... just trying to understand it.

So the yogurt cups you mention are actually used to by extracting the styrene out of them. They also are trying to use regenerated textiles (like pastic bottles, etc..) if the chemical composition is correct to turn it into polyester yarn that's used to make the belts. It doesn't look like this is every tire though... It looks like for now it's just things they are trying to move towards their sustainable goals.
1707335704419.png

Not that I agree or disagree with them... I just like to be careful when deciding what they're actually doing. I think it might be more complicated than saying they're making tires out of yogurt cups.

Most manufacturers across the board are having to try to commit to more sustainable means of manufacturing. This isn't a Michelin problem. Thank the EPA for this.

OP
OP
HEMIMANN

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I'm of the position, having used polymers in engineering for a long time, the way to reduce oil-base polymers is not through recycle cheap polymers in tires and chairs, but stop making so much of the damn stuff in cheap nonreturnable containers. It's not really off-topic, because this behavior is what's causing the search to hide them elsewhere when disposed of.

Back to reusable containers is the answer. Ah, dreaming again.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
well I had the Falkens on my '19 laramie and they were probably the best tires I ever had. at 30,000 miles when I traded trucks, they still looked new after several thousand miles towing our travel trailer and on the numerous ski trips we made on snowy/icey mountain roads I felt like they had great traction. but I traded that truck for a 2500 dsl and these tires feel like they are made of wood. my son has identical 2500 dsl and just spent a week in Keystone co. we both have a lot of experience driving in snowy mountain conditions and he said these transforce tires were like driving on ice the whole time, even aired way down. mine are at 31,000 miles and worn way down so was looking for something with good traction and stout enough for the towing I do. I'm headed for Taos pretty soon so it's a good time for me to swap out tires. thanx for mentioning the continentals I will check those out.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
Before I start... I'm not arguing anything you've said... just trying to understand it.

So the yogurt cups you mention are actually used to by extracting the styrene out of them. They also are trying to use regenerated textiles (like pastic bottles, etc..) if the chemical composition is correct to turn it into polyester yarn that's used to make the belts. It doesn't look like this is every tire though... It looks like for now it's just things they are trying to move towards their sustainable goals.
View attachment 537063

Not that I agree or disagree with them... I just like to be careful when deciding what they're actually doing. I think it might be more complicated than saying they're making tires out of yogurt cups.

Most manufacturers across the board are having to try to commit to more sustainable means of manufacturing. This isn't a Michelin problem. Thank the EPA for this.

I dont know what I did here but cant get it to go away.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
well I had the Falkens on my '19 laramie and they were probably the best tires I ever had. at 30,000 miles when I traded trucks, they still looked new after several thousand miles towing our travel trailer and on the numerous ski trips we made on snowy/icey mountain roads I felt like they had great traction. but I traded that truck for a 2500 dsl and these tires feel like they are made of wood. my son has identical 2500 dsl and just spent a week in Keystone co. we both have a lot of experience driving in snowy mountain conditions and he said these transforce tires were like driving on ice the whole time, even aired way down. mine are at 31,000 miles and worn way down so was looking for something with good traction and stout enough for the towing I do. I'm headed for Taos pretty soon so it's a good time for me to swap out tires. thanx for mentioning the continentals I will check those out.
I've never had Continentals on my big trucks, but I've ran them on some of my earlier F150s and Expeditions. I have a set on my son's Acura now. Never had a single complaint with any of those.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
My kid had Continentals on her Mini Cooper and they were not all that great, I've had the Michelin AT on my old 2500, they were okay but I did not like the 1.5 mpg loss, not sure why with all the modern tech they have they can't get us a darn good long lasting tire...

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Need to stop by Discount tire an take a look at the Cooper APT II they have, read of a few on another forum who thought they were a descent tire for the $$

mdc1990zr1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've had two sets of those junkers, both on new Rams. Look at Tire Rack ratings if you don't believe me. They are so bad, to me they are dangerous on wet roads. I got rid of mine immediately.

I started this thread for non-AT tires. I see you are in the same predicament. To date, at least according to Tire Rack Survey, the top three HT for HD trucks are Michelin Defenders, Continental HT, and Goodyear Workhorse HT.

I keep hearing Michelin problems with balance and delamination across the board, even to motorcycles. @Burla has posted some information related to issues with using recycled materials.

Posters on this site have noted recent problems with Cooper as well. I had Continental long ago that separated.

I have been running General Grabber ATX, and they have been excellent, everything reviewers noted they do. But their HT is not rated highly. General is owned by Continental now, btw.

Goodyear has historically made a good medium duty truck tire. Those on my RV were excellent, but their consumer tires have never been good.
I've got a business with two 2500HD trucks and a 3500 diesel, all 2WD. I've gone through all sets of tires but have settled on the Firestone ATs. The highway tires just don't have the year-round grip and seem to break traction whereas the AT tires don't. Goodyear and BFGoodrich commercial were good, Cooper bad, Hankook disasterous. When my tire choice was limited, I went to Tire Rack and was talked into a set of Hankook. I developed a consistant vibration over time. Had different shops look at this. Various attempts were made including lots of re-balancing and tire rotation, replacing front end components and alignments, even the dealer replacing the driveshaft, all to no avail. The tires weren't two years old when I had a rear tire blowout on interstate 95 in front of the Philadelphia airport. Changed the tire and moved along. Next day, other rear tire went. Took both tires to a local shop to have replacements put on. Showed them the bad Hankooks, and the shop noted belt delamination. Scrapped all four Hankooks with the BFGoodrich, and no more vibrations! The source of all my problems was the Hankooks. When I turned to the Tire Rack to see about any kind of warranty or good will for their poor choice in tire recommendation, I got nothing. I wrote a scathing review to warn others, but it must have been censored and never posted.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
are you talking the Transforce AT..still trying to decide.have come across a set of 295/60 R20 michelin defender ltx..50 miles take-offs for 900$ so trying to also get some reviews from folks that had them.

OP
OP
HEMIMANN

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Yeah, I'm no fan of Hankooks. Dealers seem to keep wanting to push them on me because "they're almost as good, but cheap". Um, no.

My boy tried them once and they were just that - cheap. Poor traction, poor life.

So, based only on a Hankook experience I don't think provides a basis for saying all HT tires = junk for all season truck tires.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
are you talking the Transforce AT..still trying to decide.have come across a set of 295/60 R20 michelin defender ltx..50 miles take-offs for 900$ so trying to also get some reviews from folks that had them.
I've ran the Destination ATs and the Transforce HTs. The Transforce wore really quick and the Destinations did ok for a while but wore quickly.

I am running Defender LTX on my truck now. No complaints for a HT. 25+k miles on these right now and they still look and ride like new.