2024 HD Truck Tire Recommendations? HT / LT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Planning to switch from AT Class E tires to HT (all season-ish) Class E tires.

Anybody experienced out there? Towing a 7,000 lb Travel Trailer with Ram 2500 truck.

Been looking at these as a more reasonable deal than Michelin Defenders, which I've read have been having quality and imbalance problems, for the same high price as they've always been. @Burla has mentioned adding recycled material could be causing.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Well if you need them you need them, you are kinda on the line where I'd say go for load e. Since you already have them you know how they drive, on my 1500 it's like driving on marbles. Cant help you on the ht's, curious about those.

OP
OP
HEMIMANN

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Well if you need them you need them, you are kinda on the line where I'd say go for load e. Since you already have them you know how they drive, on my 1500 it's like driving on marbles. Cant help you on the ht's, curious about those.

thx anyway. I need load range e

asking the HD dudes how their recent experiences are with highway tires these days
This may sound strange, but Goodyear medium duty truck tires were better on my motor home than michelins - they rode better, gripped better, didn't age crack.

they wore faster - which is typical of non-michelin tires. Michelin has always made very hard tire compound for max miles - it's how they grew up in France, where you buy things once forever.

Anyway, HT Load E tires are about as expensive a tire as there is for standard sizes (not monster truck), so getting performance per dollar is important here.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I'm running Michelin Defenders. They have served me really well. Super quiet, good fuel economy, and they even went over a (literally) ice covered mountain road last week with zero issues.

I typically run AT's (Cooper Discoverer AT3s) but this truck had the Michelins on it already. I've got almost 30k on mine now and they literally look brand new.

OP
OP
HEMIMANN

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I'm running Michelin Defenders. They have served me really well. Super quiet, good fuel economy, and they even went over a (literally) ice covered mountain road last week with zero issues.

I typically run AT's (Cooper Discoverer AT3s) but this truck had the Michelins on it already. I've got almost 30k on mine now and they literally look brand new.

Thank you. Any balance, wobbling issues? When were tires made? thx again

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
No issues whatsoever. They have a 2022 date code.

I'll say from personal experience that I've never had any luck with Goodyear Wranglers. I've gotten rid of all of them fairly quickly due to uneven wearing and trouble getting them balanced. That might just be my luck, but they didn't work for me.

I've also ran Cooper HTs and Continental HTs on my wife's previous Expedition and both were solid tires. But I actually run the Michelins on her Armada now and Continentals on my son's Acura.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Living where I live, I wouldn't put highway tires on ANYTHING but a car. But that's my situation, I live on a dead-end road that rarely sees a plow truck in the winter, and I tend to need to venture off the road rather often.

FWIW, my wife has Bridgestone Dueler HTs on her 1500. They seem to grip dry/wet roads really well, and she hasn't had a problem yet this winter in mild snow (4ish inches) either in 4WD or Auto 4x4. That said, when she needs new tires she's getting General Grabber ATX's. I've already got them picked out for her.

For HT tires, though, it's hard to beat the Michelins. I believe Cooper is also made by them. My dad, years ago, had some Coopers on his GMC dually, and had TWO of them blow out while on a road trip, blew up his fender, tore up paint, etc. Michelin bought him a new, full set of tires, 2 rims, as well as paid for the damage to the truck, AND shipping to get whatever was left of the blown up tires back to them for inspection. So they stand behind their stuff (or at least used to). It's a good product, just not my first choice - I don't mind the higher wear rate of ATs.

OP
OP
HEMIMANN

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
No issues whatsoever. They have a 2022 date code.

I'll say from personal experience that I've never had any luck with Goodyear Wranglers. I've gotten rid of all of them fairly quickly due to uneven wearing and trouble getting them balanced. That might just be my luck, but they didn't work for me.

I've also ran Cooper HTs and Continental HTs on my wife's previous Expedition and both were solid tires. But I actually run the Michelins on her Armada now and Continentals on my son's Acura.

Differences? Preferences?

Again, thanks!

OP
OP
HEMIMANN

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Living where I live, I wouldn't put highway tires on ANYTHING but a car. But that's my situation, I live on a dead-end road that rarely sees a plow truck in the winter, and I tend to need to venture off the road rather often.

FWIW, my wife has Bridgestone Dueler HTs on her 1500. They seem to grip dry/wet roads really well, and she hasn't had a problem yet this winter in mild snow (4ish inches) either in 4WD or Auto 4x4. That said, when she needs new tires she's getting General Grabber ATX's. I've already got them picked out for her.

For HT tires, though, it's hard to beat the Michelins. I believe Cooper is also made by them. My dad, years ago, had some Coopers on his GMC dually, and had TWO of them blow out while on a road trip, blew up his fender, tore up paint, etc. Michelin bought him a new, full set of tires, 2 rims, as well as paid for the damage to the truck, AND shipping to get whatever was left of the blown up tires back to them for inspection. So they stand behind their stuff (or at least used to). It's a good product, just not my first choice - I don't mind the higher wear rate of ATs.

Thanks - I read your posts often. You know your stuff.

Yeah, I live in xurbia, but we have paved and plowed roads. When I was younger and kids were young, I rambled all over the woods and lakes, but don't anymore. We sold our lake property also, and got a medium size travel trailer for visiting - which will all be paved roads now.

I'm just worried about what I'm reading about Michelin in general recently in terms of quality problems starting up. Hard to balance, sidewall delaminations, etc. Never used to have to worry about that with Michelins. Even their motorcycle tires are having problems.

FYI - we've been running General Grabber ATX's for years. We bought based on top user recommendations, and they were spot-on. The best all around AT truck tire I've ever run, period. However - there is a 1.5 mpg penalty with them over HT tires, and that's now too much to pay when not running in inclement conditions much any longer. They are more expensive than HT tires, and are softer so are done in app. 30,000 miles as well.
They aren't very noisy (certainly not like a KO2), so that's not the issue. Also fyi - General is owned by Continental Tire (Germany), but still made in USA.

It's time for me to make the switch to "old man" tires.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I usually only run Cooper ATs on my Rams, but since this one has HTs already I left them alone. I was fairly impressed with how they handled ice last week.
Differences? Preferences?

Again, thanks!
Main difference is noise level. The Coopers weren't as noisy as some ATs, but there is a definite difference. The only thing I noticed with them is that I had to stick to a pretty rigid rotation schedule to keep wear even. Every 5k miles or so. But as far as performance they were just fine.

That said, I'm switching back to the Cooper AT3s when these wear out because I would benefit more from an AT with how I use my truck. If I were highway only though... I'd stick with the Michelins or the Cooper HTs. Whichever were on sale.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Thanks - I read your posts often. You know your stuff.

Yeah, I live in xurbia, but we have paved and plowed roads. When I was younger and kids were young, I rambled all over the woods and lakes, but don't anymore. We sold our lake property also, and got a medium size travel trailer for visiting - which will all be paved roads now.

I'm just worried about what I'm reading about Michelin in general recently in terms of quality problems starting up. Hard to balance, sidewall delaminations, etc. Never used to have to worry about that with Michelins. Even their motorcycle tires are having problems.

FYI - we've been running General Grabber ATX's for years. We bought based on top user recommendations, and they were spot-on. The best all around AT truck tire I've ever run, period. However - there is a 1.5 mpg penalty with them over HT tires, and that's now too much to pay when not running in inclement conditions much any longer. They are more expensive than HT tires, and are softer so are done in app. 30,000 miles as well.
They aren't very noisy (certainly not like a KO2), so that's not the issue. Also fyi - General is owned by Continental Tire (Germany), but still made in USA.

It's time for me to make the switch to "old man" tires.
No argument about the mileage penalty - AT tires definitely give you a hit there, and it varies depending on the vehicle. I'm still at a point where it doesn't bother me, but I can understand it being a consideration.

You bring up the noise, and I have always been pleased with the Grabber's noise levels. I originally found them years ago when I was looking for something comparable to the KO2s with a lower price tag, and you are right - I wore out a set of noisy KO2s and replaced with the Grabbers (they were the AT2s at the time), and was actually surprised how much quieter they were while still being just as capable.

OP
OP
HEMIMANN

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
So far, nobody's tried Goodyear's commercial (Workhorse) HD truck tire. Maybe I should be the guinea pig? Bill is $200 less than Michelin's, I would pay it if I discovered Goodyear Workhorse suffered by comparison.

But it doesn't on Tire Rack's reviews and ratings by mostly lay persons, which is why I'm asking you all more experienced people. Goodyear seems to be able to make a decent heavy duty tire, but not consumer tires.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Have not seen anyone mention Toyo have they gone down hill? Its been a while since I bought tires ( Last set was Michelin but only had them a few month before I sold my 06, before that Copper SST) I'm sure these firetrash will not last the summer so I too will be keeping an eye out for tires, that is right after I find a set for the wife's Highlander, it came new with Bridgestone that I think are not all that great almost wore out at 33K...

OP
OP
HEMIMANN

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Have not seen anyone mention Toyo have they gone down hill? Its been a while since I bought tires ( Last set was Michelin but only had them a few month before I sold my 06, before that Copper SST) I'm sure these firetrash will not last the summer so I too will be keeping an eye out for tires, that is right after I find a set for the wife's Highlander, it came new with Bridgestone that I think are not all that great almost wore out at 33K...

I have not seen Toyo or Bridgestone rated highly for trucks these days.

Tire Rack is useful site to see what people are buying and saying there. I've already gone through there.
I use a local on site installer, but he doesn't seem to be as current on issues as high volume sites like Tire Rack.

Danny Phillips

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I bought a Dodge regular cab pickup with Cummins diesel, and it came with a set of Cooper HT's and every one of them separated. The Firestone that comes on the newer trucks are OK just only got 21,000 miles on them.

JosephPukala

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I switched from HT to AT because when I had to pull into the grass and it sunk a little 4wd was a must. Now so far I only had to use 4wd at the boat ramp.

OP
OP
HEMIMANN

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I switched from HT to AT because when I had to pull into the grass and it sunk a little 4wd was a must. Now so far I only had to use 4wd at the boat ramp.

Is that issue worth the extra cost and 1.5 mpg loss of fuel economy? I can count the few times I've actually used AT capability.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I guess it depends on the person. I don't use AT capability often, but when I need it I need it. In that particular moment it's worth it every time.

I didn't notice a 1.5mpg loss when I switched from Firestone Transforce HTs to Cooper Discoverer AT3s on my 3500. I did see a loss, but it was less than 1 mpg (0.6 to be exact).

Considering that I'm getting 22.5-23 mpg on the interstate with these Michelins... I think I'd survive if I only managed 20-21 mpg. :) Beat's my wifes Armada only getting 17.5 with HTs.

OP
OP
HEMIMANN

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I guess it depends on the person. I don't use AT capability often, but when I need it I need it. In that particular moment it's worth it every time.

I didn't notice a 1.5mpg loss when I switched from Firestone Transforce HTs to Cooper Discoverer AT3s on my 3500. I did see a loss, but it was less than 1 mpg (0.6 to be exact).

Considering that I'm getting 22.5-23 mpg on the interstate with these Michelins... I think I'd survive if I only managed 20-21 mpg. :) Beat's my wifes Armada only getting 17.5 with HTs.

Ah - you have a Cummins. Yay, diesels use less fuel per load change than gas engines. I have 6.4L Hemi engine, so it sucks more fuel with change to load, hence I lost 1.5 mpg going from HT to AT tires.

Anyway, I'm not going with AT's again, even though my General Grabber ATX tires have been everything the reviews said they were. Truly outstanding AT tire.