2025 Ram 1500 TRX Drops 6.2L Hellcat V8, New 3.0L Hurricane I6 Packs Over 500 HP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1695844842467.png

As you're well aware, 2024 is the final year of the Hellcat-powered Ram TRX off-road pickup truck. Chrysler is going down the inline-six route for 2025, with said engine being the 3.0-liter Hurricane.

1695844915229.png

1695844972897.png

Officially dubbed Stellantis Hurricane, this lump comes in two flavors. The standard-output specification belts out a respectable 420 horsepower and 468 pound-feet (635 Nm), which is more than you get from the B58 inline-six turbocharged engine of the BMW M340i compact executive sedan.

In the Ram 1500-based Jeep Grand Wagoneer, the high-output specification is an extra over the 6.4-liter HEMI. Rated at 510 horsepower and 500 pound-feet (678 Nm), this lump is 39 horsepower and 45 pound-feet (61 Nm) up on the naturally-aspirated V8.

It also rivals the S58 in the BMW M3, which is low-key impressive in every respect. How much power and torque can we look forward to from the 3.0-liter Hurricane in the 2025 Ram 1500 TRX? As per a leak that's been making the rounds on multiple forums, we're dealing with the high-output specification.

You already know the numbers, but some peeps claim that we're going to receive a bit more oomph. Given that Chrysler is much obliged to take the Hurricane beyond 1,000 horsepower as a crate engine, it's easy to imagine 700-odd horsepower in this particular application, therefore matching the soon-to-be-discontinued Hellcat supercharged V8.

Also shared by Butter Da Insider, the leak in question lists vehicle identification number 1C6SRFUP8SN500347 and the 8HP75 torque-converter automatic. Designed by ZF, this gearbox is called 8HP75 because it has eight forward gears and takes up to 750 Nm (553 pound-feet) of torque.

That's as important of a detail as it gets, for the high-output Hurricane is pretty close to said rating. By comparison, the 2021 to 2024 Ram 1500 TRX is equipped with the 8HP95 that supports up to 900 Nm (664 pound-feet). The diesel-specific version can easily handle 1,000 Nm (738 pound-feet) of twist.

Revealed in August 2020 for the 2021 model year, the half-ton pickup truck with 35-inch rubber boots can hit an electronically limited 118 miles per hour (190 kilometers per hour). Chrysler quotes 12.9 seconds at 108 miles per hour (174 kilometers per hour) for the quarter mile, as well as 4.5 seconds from zero to 60 miles per hour (97 kilometers per hour).

The 2021 Ram 1500 TRX used to retail at $69,996 (plus $1,695 for the destination freight charge). Although exempt from the gas-guzzler tax, it's a heavy drinker. According to the Environmental Protection Agency, the four-wheel-drive thriller averages 12 miles per gallon (19.6 liters per 100 kilometers) on the agency's combined test cycle.

Although the build & price tool doesn't list the 2024 model at the moment of writing, we do know that Chrysler is bidding farewell to the Hellcat-powered TRX with a special edition that costs $117,625 (plus $1,995). By comparison, the 2023 model year Ram 1500 TRX carries a starting price of $85,700.

Online article by Autoevolution

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Agree on golden age, disagree on malaise. There's a *bunch* of ridiculously quick cars on the market at a variety of price points. Stuff we'd have soiled our selves about in '05...
The sport compact market is dead. Camaro is dead. Charger/Challenger are dead (at least temporarily). Mustang GT is $50k+. Subaru STi, dead. Mitsubishi, dead. Civic Type R, $50k+. Please tell me what you see out there for affordable performance oriented cars.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
The sport compact market is dead. Camaro is dead. Charger/Challenger are dead (at least temporarily). Mustang GT is $50k+. Subaru STi, dead. Mitsubishi, dead. Civic Type R, $50k+. Please tell me what you see out there for affordable performance oriented cars.

Nissan Z is $40k-ish, IIRC. Mustang GT starts at $43k. Charger isn't dead, as fleet ordering opens 4th quarter 2024. Sucks about the Camaro, yeah, I'm on my 5th one currently.

The eco-boost Mustang has a better 0-60 and 1/4 time than the '05 GT, though anything much past 1/4 the older GT will start pulling.

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So it's now official. TRX is dead. The new model is Ram RHO, with a 540hp Hurricane variant.

Still puts it ahead of Raptor in the power department, and hopefully will bring the price down some too. TRX at $100k - $120k was ridiculous. I see Raptors fairly often, because they are more attainable.

The TRX designation is being "shelved" so we may see it return in the future, once Mopar can figure out a true replacement for the supercharged Hemi.

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
There is no replacement for displacement. Higher horse power through higher compression is an engine killer unless compensated for like a diesel engine. There is a reason why diesel engines are so heavy they are built to withstand the pressures that are required to ignite diesel fuel

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
They have been turbocharging engines for years for heavy equipment and trucks but not for light duty vehicles. I’m waiting to see what happens with them

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There is no replacement for displacement. Higher horse power through higher compression is an engine killer unless compensated for like a diesel engine. There is a reason why diesel engines are so heavy they are built to withstand the pressures that are required to ignite diesel fuel
Modern turbo gas engines are built pretty strongly, with GDI and the boost pressures they are running it might as well be diesel, just using spark ignition instead of compression ignition.

Motor Trend did a full review on the engine when it debuted in 2023 Wagoneers and were suitably impressed with it. So the engine will have been out for two years by the time we see the first 2025 Rams hitting the lot with it.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
I see Raptors fairly often, because they are more attainable.

Go somewhere like Jackson Hole where there's plenty of folks who can easily attain both on the same day if they like and you still won't see many TRXs. Lots of Raptors and PWs, though. The TRX is a neat toy if you want to go fast while sitting up high. It's fast for a truck, but unless you just want a truck there's a lot of faster, better handling, more fun options for the same or less money. The Raptor isn't fast, but it's got a suspension that lets you use the fast it has and has a usable fuel range if you actually want to play off road. PW's a different game, of course.

FWIW, I could attain any one of them but didn't even consider the TRX. I have a go fast car. I strongly considered the Raptor, but ultimately for the sort of off road play time I do the PW was the best option. Plus I hate a stubby bed, even if I only use the larger bed a hand full of times a year.

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
FWIW, I could attain any one of them but didn't even consider the TRX. I have a go fast car. I strongly considered the Raptor, but ultimately for the sort of off road play time I do the PW was the best option. Plus I hate a stubby bed, even if I only use the larger bed a hand full of times a year.
Don't know why the "performance truck" market went from street trucks to factory off-road machines. Most of the ones I see are parking lot crawlers.

My Charger is fun, but I'd have strongly considered a Ram 1500 SRT 2WD street truck with the 392 Hemi. Something like the older SRT-10. I have no use or interest in an off-road machine.

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
Each to their own I guess my drivers license is my job I can’t really afford to get speeding tickets and with a go fast truck I would. I don’t go off road a lot but I use the 4wd quite a bit in the winter. I am building my truck for me and what I want it to do besides I’m old now and not in a hurry if I m to slow go around

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Don't know why the "performance truck" market went from street trucks to factory off-road machines. Most of the ones I see are parking lot crawlers.

My Charger is fun, but I'd have strongly considered a Ram 1500 SRT 2WD street truck with the 392 Hemi. Something like the older SRT-10. I have no use or interest in an off-road machine.

Because trucks suck as sports cars and sports cars suck at off roading. There's some cross over, desert racing Porches and slammed Nastruck style stuff, but there's never been a strong sport truck market. Even when manufacturers tried to push it like the Chevy SSR, it was stillborn. People have bought factory off road trucks for decades, though, and if they use them off road or not is as irrelevant as if somebody tracks their sports car.

If you really want such a truck, Ford makes it.

Bet they sell tens of them. Same brakes and suspension for way more power, which has been the formula since at least the 454 SS. Which is cool, but dumb.

Fatbob Frank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
The death of the Muscle Car in the 70's and subsequent malaise of the 80's while new technology was developed to meet increased standards, yep.

I believe the history books will look back on 2005 - 2020 as another golden age of Muscle, and what we're starting into now is more malaise.
It lasted longer than the previous "golden age" by a good bit...
I think we're seeing a decline in cars period...
Trucks are becoming more popular sure, but SUVs are everywhere...

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
We are seeing the slow death of car culture. Life for many has become more about the destination than the journey and as such fun and stylish vehicles have fallen by the wayside... replaced by bland utilitarian "driving appliances".

Jim S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
I test drove a WAGONEER with the SO Hurrican't motor. Almost fell asleep on the way to 60mph.

Jim S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
Cool AND true! That thing is a DOG! My 2013 4.7 w/280k on it has better acceleration. And don't tell me it's cuz the jeep is heavier. My 13 weighs about the same and my 21 is heavier.

Jim S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
If you want to drive a HotWheels car, sure, but I drive a pickup. And 4/6 cyl engines sound like flea farts when you put performance exhaust on them.

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
It’s part of our throw away society. Not many of the cars of today are classics. The new mustangs are bug ugly.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
It’s part of our throw away society. Not many of the cars of today are classics. The new mustangs are bug ugly.

Neither were most of the cars that any given classic came from. We just remember the ones that did. And a few surprises. Nobody thought OJ Broncos would be a cult classic later, we all complained the top didn't come off like they did in the 70s. Now, *boom*, classics with a price to match. Flippin' XJs are through the roof now. XJs! The middle child of the Jeep world that said you weren't cool enough for a Wrangler but were too poor for a Grand Cherokee... (I loved mine, FWIW)

And I like the new Mustang. I'm a Camaro guy, though, so the fact they moved to a more Camaro-esque silhoette being pleasing to my eye is no shock.

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
Sorry but I find the new ev mustang’s ugly the previous ones that looked like the old ones are way nicer like the new Camaro. Ann the challenger. You are right no car rolled off the line a classic but it seems like the design of today is somewhat lazy.

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
I think the reason why some of these cars are being overpriced is boomers like me want the cars of our youth and we have money. As for the xjs tough little rigs and they were cheap but kids found them and the rest is history

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat