What To Expect From The 2024 Ram Rampage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1698424093765.png

American pickups have been getting bigger. But they’ve also been getting smaller. The midsize segment has seen a huge revival, with the Toyota Tacoma now facing several challengers. Ford and Hyundai have even formed a new compact segment. The holdout, thus far, has been Ram.

Stellantis does have a midsize offering with the Jeep Gladiator. But we’ve seen no revival of the Dakota. And the smallest Ram-branded pickup in the lineup is currently the full-size 1500. However, reports and recent product reveals suggest that could be about to change. Ram launched a new small pickup, the Rampage, in South America. And it may be coming to the USA.

Here’s everything you need to know.

Is the Ram Rampage definitely coming to America?
1698424152814.png
Ram has not confirmed the truck is coming to America yet. But The Drive reports that a well-placed source confirmed the Rampage will come to America with a debut in late 2023. It's possible the UAW strike may cause that timeline to be delayed; Stellantis pulled out of CES and may have put other activities on hold.

Stellantis did confirm plans to launch four electrified pickup trucks in the next two years. Two are confirmed: the Ram 1500 REV and a "new hydrogen solution." That would still leave room for a Jeep Gladiator 4xe and a yet-to-be-named Ram pickup.

The Rampage that debuted will be built in South America. Ram would likely move production for an American version to Mexico to avoid the Chicken Tax. Given the Maverick's popularity, it would be weirder if Ram did not bring the Rampage to market in America.

The Rampage should be a unibody Ford Maverick rival
1698424206144.png
Like the Ford Maverick, the Ram Rampage should have styling cues cribbed from Ram’s body-on-frame truck lineup but have a unibody construction. It’s expected to share the same underlying platform with the Jeep Compass, Alfa Romeo Tonale and Dodge Hornet.
What engines will the Ram Rampage have?

1698424258773.png

The South American Rampage launched with a gas engine, the 2.0-liter Hurricane I4, which puts out 272 horsepower and 295 lb-ft of torque. That’s the same engine the Dodge Hornet uses and a good bet for the American truck.

In South America, the Rampage will also get a diesel option. We would bet the diesel does not make it to the American market. The 1.3-liter plug-in hybrid used in the Dodge Hornet and Alfa Romeo Tonale for an alternate (and more efficient) engine would be far more likely.
What trims will the Ram Rampage have?
1698424300587.png
Ram has not confirmed a trim lineup for the Rampage. The South American lineup has three: an off-road Rebel trim, a flashier Laramie trim and an R/T Sport model. We could see all three trims make it to America.

Will the new small truck be called the Rampage?
1698424381309.png
Quite possibly. That's what is being used in South America. We’ve seen Ram opt for alliterative naming with new trucks like the Ram 1500 REV. And it’s a name with relevant heritage. The Dodge Rampage was a small, unibody pickup from the early 1980s. And Dodge used Rampage again with a concept in 2006. Using Rampage would also leave Dakota as an option should Ram decide to build a smaller body-on-frame truck.
How much will the Ram Rampage cost?
1698424450160.png
Ford took a budget approach with the Maverick. At least in South America, Ram is opting for a different tack with the Rampage by taking it upmarket. All the Rampages are all-wheel-drive. It offers leather seats. A 12.3-inch infotainment display and a digital instrument cluster come standard.

The starting price for a gas Rampage in Brazil is a little more than $50,000. We’d bet Brazilian taxes are responsible for much of that figure; the American truck won’t be that ambitiously priced. But expect it to start north of the Maverick’s $22,595 starting MSRP.

Article courtesy of Tyler Duffy with Gear Patrol

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looks somewhat promising, but ultimately will have the same problem as other "light" trucks. For as much as one costs you could spend just a little bit more and get a full size truck that is a whole lot more capable.

Maverick may "start" at $23k, but good luck finding one on a dealer lot for under $30k. Rampage will be bigger and more costly, likely in the $35 - 40k price range because that's what Hornets are going for. At that point you may as well buy a Ram 1500 and actually have a useful amount of bed space and towing capacity.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Looks like a Subaru.....

If I need a truck, I'll buy a real truck. I just don't see where this fits in the US market? The bed is useless, I'd rather have an SUV if I going for a vehicle this size.

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looks like a Subaru.....

If I need a truck, I'll buy a real truck. I just don't see where this fits in the US market? The bed is useless, I'd rather have an SUV if I going for a vehicle this size.
Just like Maverick these are for masculine urban/suburban dwellers who don't want a pansy FWD "crossover"... so they'll pay more money for the same thing with an open bed.

Might be useful for the occasional trip to Home Depot, but anybody doing any real hauling or towing on the regular is going to have a real truck.

BadHemi2014

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
IMG_2242.JPGI would love to see the Dakota back. I loved mine. It's payload was comparable to my Ram, and it was 4x4. The extended cab was nice, not forced to get 4dr, and it was shorter and narrower than the Ram which was just the right size for a 5' tall shrimp like me. Man I miss that truck!
Don't think this Rampage would be the ticket, although I really love the name.

Last edited:

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
View attachment 530984I would love to see the Dakota back. I loved mine.
Problem with mid-size trucks is economies of scale. Manufacturers make so many full-size trucks they can slap deep discounts on them and still turn a profit, so you end up paying less money for more truck. Also the smaller trucks aren't really any more efficient than the bigger ones. My 2019 1500 Classic Hemi averages 20mpg. According to fuelly a new Ranger averages 20.5MPG.

Fatbob Frank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
By the time the Dakota was phased out the cheapest Dakota you could buy was $2-3K more than the cheapest Ram truck.. Which is why I went full sized when I traded my 2nd Dakota off..
Better gas mileage? Nope.
Cheaper to insure? Nope.
More capable? Big nope...
There wasn't any reason to spend the extra $$ for the midsize and it killed sales...
Nothing's really changed.
I priced out a new Jeep Gladiator V6 and after it was all done it was as much as I paid for my Power Wagon.

Fatbob Frank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Problem with mid-size trucks is economies of scale. Manufacturers make so many full-size trucks they can slap deep discounts on them and still turn a profit, so you end up paying less money for more truck. Also the smaller trucks aren't really any more efficient than the bigger ones. My 2019 1500 Classic Hemi averages 20mpg. According to fuelly a new Ranger averages 20.5MPG.
I was checking out a new ZR2 Colorado in a dealer floor.
Sticker price was $70k and the HIWAY mileage was only 18mpg!!

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
By the time the Dakota was phased out the cheapest Dakota you could buy was $2-3K more than the cheapest Ram truck.
Better gas mileage? Nope.
Cheaper to insure? Nope.
More capable? Big nope...

I priced out a new Jeep Gladiator V6 and after it was all done it was as much as I paid for my Power Wagon.
Bingo!

My wife really likes the Gladiator and as we have a small trailer for her art business now we don't absolutely need all the bed space our Ram has. I looked at trading but oh heck no! I'm not paying more money for a less capable vehicle, that's just idiocy.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Bingo!

My wife really likes the Gladiator and as we have a small trailer for her art business now we don't absolutely need all the bed space our Ram has. I looked at trading but oh heck no! I'm not paying more money for a less capable vehicle, that's just idiocy.
That’s nothing compared to what I saw at the dealership, a Ram 3500 Tradesman Long Bed with the 6.4L HEMI and it still costed $76,000, who would pay that much for a base model?

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
I was checking out a new ZR2 Colorado in a dealer floor.
Sticker price was $70k and the HIWAY mileage was only 18mpg!!

I looked at the previous generation. Nobody buys the ZR2 for highway miles, they buy it because it's off-roady and fits places bigger off-roady options don't. I liked the general concept but it was so uncomfortable I would have given the salesman $20 to not let me test drive it.

If the Ranger Raptor had been available last year, I would have strongly considered it. I'm happy with my PW, but it's also limiting on trails local to me due to it's size. Everything is a trade off, though, the comfort for getting to trails out west is so much better.

ANGLICO

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 L Hemi
View attachment 530984I would love to see the Dakota back. I loved mine. It's payload was comparable to my Ram, and it was 4x4. The extended cab was nice, not forced to get 4dr, and it was shorter and narrower than the Ram which was just the right size for a 5' tall shrimp like me. Man I miss that truck!
Don't think this Rampage would be the ticket, although I really love the name.
I'm still driving a 1993 Dakota with the 6 banger and the heavy duty rear end.

103,600 original miles. No dents. No rust (California truck). Rattlecan black paint job. Actually looks good.

Other than the door gut door rod grommets.... mechanically sound.

Cmz2800

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That’s nothing compared to what I saw at the dealership, a Ram 3500 Tradesman Long Bed with the 6.4L HEMI and it still costed $76,000, who would pay that much for a base model?
Personally, I think the government is behind this.
10/10 the government is always behind shady nonsense where the people pay.
How? Electric cars are much more expensive to manufacture, getting all the necessary lithium. Etc. Im sure most of you saw the episode on JRE where they talk about this.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Personally, I think the government is behind this.
10/10 the government is always behind shady nonsense where the people pay.
How? Electric cars are much more expensive to manufacture, getting all the necessary lithium. Etc. Im sure most of you saw the episode on JRE where they talk about this.
I agree on what you said about the government, raising prices on purpose, and I still feel like that it’s involved with electric cars, they are trying to ban gas and diesel automobiles, so most companies have no choice but to make more reliable and eco-friendy automobiles because of this law.

I still don’t think it would happen, because first of all everybody in the United States would be forced to get an electric car, and of course that costs money, and especially with all of this economy stuff going on it isn’t going to really help and possibly raise the prices of electric vehicles.

Such a dumb decision, this country is going to burn, along with this government, I can’t believe that half of the stuff in your house is now the price of larger equipment back in the early 2000s, but we can’t do nothing but go with the flow.

Dustyroadz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4

American pickups have been getting bigger. But they’ve also been getting smaller. The midsize segment has seen a huge revival, with the Toyota Tacoma now facing several challengers. Ford and Hyundai have even formed a new compact segment. The holdout, thus far, has been Ram.

Stellantis does have a midsize offering with the Jeep Gladiator. But we’ve seen no revival of the Dakota. And the smallest Ram-branded pickup in the lineup is currently the full-size 1500. However, reports and recent product reveals suggest that could be about to change. Ram launched a new small pickup, the Rampage, in South America. And it may be coming to the USA.

Here’s everything you need to know.

Is the Ram Rampage definitely coming to America?
Ram has not confirmed the truck is coming to America yet. But The Drive reports that a well-placed source confirmed the Rampage will come to America with a debut in late 2023. It's possible the UAW strike may cause that timeline to be delayed; Stellantis pulled out of CES and may have put other activities on hold.

Stellantis did confirm plans to launch four electrified pickup trucks in the next two years. Two are confirmed: the Ram 1500 REV and a "new hydrogen solution." That would still leave room for a Jeep Gladiator 4xe and a yet-to-be-named Ram pickup.

The Rampage that debuted will be built in South America. Ram would likely move production for an American version to Mexico to avoid the Chicken Tax. Given the Maverick's popularity, it would be weirder if Ram did not bring the Rampage to market in America.

The Rampage should be a unibody Ford Maverick rival
Like the Ford Maverick, the Ram Rampage should have styling cues cribbed from Ram’s body-on-frame truck lineup but have a unibody construction. It’s expected to share the same underlying platform with the Jeep Compass, Alfa Romeo Tonale and Dodge Hornet.
What engines will the Ram Rampage have?

The South American Rampage launched with a gas engine, the 2.0-liter Hurricane I4, which puts out 272 horsepower and 295 lb-ft of torque. That’s the same engine the Dodge Hornet uses and a good bet for the American truck.

In South America, the Rampage will also get a diesel option. We would bet the diesel does not make it to the American market. The 1.3-liter plug-in hybrid used in the Dodge Hornet and Alfa Romeo Tonale for an alternate (and more efficient) engine would be far more likely.
What trims will the Ram Rampage have?
Ram has not confirmed a trim lineup for the Rampage. The South American lineup has three: an off-road Rebel trim, a flashier Laramie trim and an R/T Sport model. We could see all three trims make it to America.

Will the new small truck be called the Rampage?
Quite possibly. That's what is being used in South America. We’ve seen Ram opt for alliterative naming with new trucks like the Ram 1500 REV. And it’s a name with relevant heritage. The Dodge Rampage was a small, unibody pickup from the early 1980s. And Dodge used Rampage again with a concept in 2006. Using Rampage would also leave Dakota as an option should Ram decide to build a smaller body-on-frame truck.
How much will the Ram Rampage cost?
Ford took a budget approach with the Maverick. At least in South America, Ram is opting for a different tack with the Rampage by taking it upmarket. All the Rampages are all-wheel-drive. It offers leather seats. A 12.3-inch infotainment display and a digital instrument cluster come standard.

The starting price for a gas Rampage in Brazil is a little more than $50,000. We’d bet Brazilian taxes are responsible for much of that figure; the American truck won’t be that ambitiously priced. But expect it to start north of the Maverick’s $22,595 starting MSRP.

Article courtesy of Tyler Duffy with Gear Patrol
Thank you for the pics...wished they'd go back to 2 dr-such a pain to slide into those narrow parking spaces.

Jake_3005

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Looks somewhat promising, but ultimately will have the same problem as other "light" trucks. For as much as one costs you could spend just a little bit more and get a full size truck that is a whole lot more capable.

Maverick may "start" at $23k, but good luck finding one on a dealer lot for under $30k. Rampage will be bigger and more costly, likely in the $35 - 40k price range because that's what Hornets are going for. At that point you may as well buy a Ram 1500 and actually have a useful amount of bed space and towing capacity.
i agree because why would you opt for such a small truck when it costs that much in my opinion ram should release a truck to compete with the ford ranger and Tacoma instead of competing with the maverick

Cmz2800

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I agree on what you said about the government, raising prices on purpose, and I still feel like that it’s involved with electric cars, they are trying to ban gas and diesel automobiles, so most companies have no choice but to make more reliable and eco-friendy automobiles because of this law.

I still don’t think it would happen, because first of all everybody in the United States would be forced to get an electric car, and of course that costs money, and especially with all of this economy stuff going on it isn’t going to really help and possibly raise the prices of electric vehicles.

Such a dumb decision, this country is going to burn, along with this government, I can’t believe that half of the stuff in your house is now the price of larger equipment back in the early 2000s, but we can’t do nothing but go with the flow.
The government works for the people, Not the reverse.
We have all forgotten this and this is why they steal from us by way of ridiculous taxation. While they sit in castles.