22" to 18"

mikeru

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
My concern going to the 18s is that they are a 10 Ply (Load Range E) tire which weigh a lot more and will be stiffer. I can always go back to the 22s if i don’t like them. I will try and update the thread to share my experience if interested
No, you are misinformed. Many of the common AT tires that people on this site buy can be had in 6 ply as well as 10 ply. In fact, some are even available in 4 ply. The AT tires I recently put on my Limited are 4 ply. They ride just as smoothly as the factory original 22" Goodyears that came on the truck. I considered that I really don't intend to take this truck off-road so I went with the 4 ply AT tires. In case anyone is wondering, they are Les Schwab Open Range Offroad tires, made by Mazama Tires for Les Schwab. And are available in 4, 6, and 10 ply. Of course the different load ranges are dependent on tire size. The tires I bought are 275/65/18.

OP
OP
Ken W

Ken W

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When i check tire specs, certain sizes only come 1 way. I can only find 285/50/22 in Load Range E for example in name brand tire. Never heard of Mazama tires here in NY (they may be great) but I like to stick with brands I have experience with.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No, you are misinformed. Many of the common AT tires that people on this site buy can be had in 6 ply as well as 10 ply. In fact, some are even available in 4 ply. The AT tires I recently put on my Limited are 4 ply. They ride just as smoothly as the factory original 22" Goodyears that came on the truck. I considered that I really don't intend to take this truck off-road so I went with the 4 ply AT tires. In case anyone is wondering, they are Les Schwab Open Range Offroad tires, made by Mazama Tires for Les Schwab. And are available in 4, 6, and 10 ply. Of course the different load ranges are dependent on tire size. The tires I bought are 275/65/18.
I don’t think he’s misinformed if the rebel wheels he bought come complete with the original rebel tires because the last I heard, those were indeed a 10 ply tire which is why the recommended air pressures for the rebel are like over 45 pounds of pressure.

Of course you can get tires with an all-terrain tread that aren’t 10 ply or 8 ply but that’s not the case here.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When i check tire specs, certain sizes only come 1 way. I can only find 285/50/22 in Load Range E for example in name brand tire. Never heard of Mazama tires here in NY (they may be great) but I like to stick with brands I have experience with.
Being that whether or not through the years if the tire sizes have stayed the same between the older rebels and the newer rebels, what’s the tire size on those Rebel wheels you’re looking at getting?

OP
OP
Ken W

Ken W

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The newer Rebels come with 275/70/18 - Goodyear Duratracs which are indeed Load Range E. Most tires in that size are load range E. General makes a few that are not as does Good Year.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The newer Rebels come with 275/70/18 - Goodyear Duratracs which are indeed Load Range E. Most tires in that size are load range E. General makes a few that are not as does Good Year.
Yeah, I went on tire rack and saw that out of all the tires they had in that size, only like two of them were a non-light truck tire but, you’re wanting to compare those 18 inch rebel tire’s sizes to your stock tires which are those 285/50/22s, correct? I tried like four or five alternate tire sizes in an 18 that was really close to what your stock tire size is and everything else I found was all light truck.

But I guess thanks for the opportunity because that pretty much rules out my possible idea in the future of ever dropping down to an 18!from my 20s if pretty much all I have to choose from is them rock hard E’s… Lol.

mikeru

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I don’t think he’s misinformed if the rebel wheels he bought come complete with the original rebel tires because the last I heard, those were indeed a 10 ply tire which is why the recommended air pressures for the rebel are like over 45 pounds of pressure.

Of course you can get tires with an all-terrain tread that aren’t 10 ply or 8 ply but that’s not the case here.
You're right that Rebels come with 10 ply tires. I misread his post, and thought he was thinking that all AT tires are 10 ply. It seems to be a common misconception people have. I've corrected several people where I work about that. Sorry for the confusion on my part.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You're right that Rebels come with 10 ply tires. I misread his post, and thought he was thinking that all AT tires are 10 ply. It seems to be a common misconception people have. I've corrected several people where I work about that. Sorry for the confusion on my part.
Its cool man, no worries…

Who knows, maybe they think that just because pretty much all 35s are 10 ply that all off-road tires of any size are the same way.

MrKelly

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 ETorque
Just added these today as a Veteran deal. Came out to $1234.23 for all four.

6DD1CE3C-B16F-4218-87C0-537A6D8EF5E3.png