2500 gas or diesel?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TWILLIAMS9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesels do not like short trips. That's the main reason why I chose the 6.4 my commute to work is 7 miles.

RyeThomas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
With the new SCR system and DEF they are supposed to be a little more friendly on the short DD's, that said even the older ones liked to be worked every now and then. The new ones even more so.
You have to drive them and make up your mind. The 6.4 is like any other large Gas engine, you hit the throttle you go, you hit a hill and you downshift. The Diesel you hit the throttle and you have your customary turbo and fuel lag coupled with some torque management then you go, you hit a hill it stays in gear and powers through it. Its a very different drive. I drove the 6.4 and had a big smile on my face, I drove the 13/14 CTD and while I had a smile I had some issues with the throttle response and go off the line. I drove a 12 and its in my driveway and I basically got the Diesel Upgrade for free by going used.

Sorry for the ramble but they are very different trucks (if your OCD like me), go test drive them for a while. See what YOU like, and remember do it right the first time or you will be shopping again.

I don't think you can go wrong with either, I'm a fan of the 6.4. I just can't not have a CTD after 11+ years of driving one.

Good luck, Rye.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
When I got mine I drove 6.4 and the Cummins back to back and I actually liked the 6.4 better. It just seemed quicker and more responsive (as expected). Even with my 8500 TT the gasser starts off stronger than my old diesel (410HP vs 360HP with my Duramax). The only difference is the diesel towed at lower RPMs but the sound of a reving Hemi is kind of nice anyway :)

IdaDuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
Diesels do not like short trips. That's the main reason why I chose the 6.4 my commute to work is 7 miles.

That's my biggest hesitation, but my understanding is the current CTD is a little better in this regard with the updated emissions system. At this point my inclination is to just roll the dice and go with the diesel, but as I get closer we'll see if that holds out. I get the comments about how they are very different in feel - I just really like that seemingly effortless pull of a diesel and am willing to sacrifice the zippier throttle response to get it (the money part is a little harder to swallow).

skHemi64

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I test drove both the CTD 6 speed and the 6.4 auto and personally like the 6.4 better. Just remember that the radio in the truck can't be upgraded unless you go aftermarket. I went Tradesman and I'm just fine with the mono color basic radio with USB and AUX input. Don't need to be distracted with the touchscreen. Also needed something that can handle muddy feet and dirt environment, so the fancy schmancy trim was out of the question. To each his own. Either way you go, you won't be disappointed.

jadocs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You will get much better mileage with the CTD both towing and not towing. I'm driving a 2014 CC 2500 4x4 CTD and not once have I had to wait for it to "get up and go". It plain hauls ass. As far as cost, I've seen people right on this site pay damn near as much as I did for a 1500, let alone a 2500. It all depends on what kind of deal you can work out with the dealer. My SLT/BigHorn cost me $45 (stickered at over $56k).

TWILLIAMS9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The mileage on the CTD is a little better but not by much. And yes the 6.4 has better acceleration than the 6.7. Unless you need the little extra towing capacity that can obviously pull effortlessly (although the 6.4 pulls great too) and the added premium price of maintenance or you just want the awesomeness of a diesel than get it. Both engines are great! Drive both and decide.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
that 7k diesel option buys a lot of gas.. :) but like jadocs said .. it all depends on what u can squeeze out of the dealer u are getting it from.. a awesome deal is a awesome deal.. it may make the ctd worth it. My 2500 6.4 big horn stickerd at 51k ... 4 hours later they sold it to me for 39k. But boy where they pissed.. didn't even fill the tank for me.