2500 towing question on chains

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Moltroub

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
We have a 2021 Ram 2500 and I detest the stock receiver with the place to hook the chains. Does anyone know if using shackles will help?

Attachments

• 4C5228F2-4901-4BB4-B98A-139159C0F559.jpeg
    4C5228F2-4901-4BB4-B98A-139159C0F559.jpeg
    139 KB · Views: 8

Smokeybear01

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
What's wrong with the eyelets on the hitch that you don't like? Shackles with a rating higher than required won't hurt anything, buy why? Pull the hook on the chains from the a forward position and they slip right on with a little downward flick. Don't try putting the front of the hook down through the eyelet. That little spring will frustrate you if you do.

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
We have a 2021 Ram 2500 and I detest the stock receiver with the place to hook the chains. Does anyone know if using shackles will help?
i'm also a little confused.why would you want to listen to shackles banging around ? is it because of the clearance from the hooks ? mine has very little clearance because of my rock tamers and locking pin and i have to use a shackle on my side by side trailer chain and it's a royal pain.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I'm sure if law enforcement stopped you that would be an illegal connection.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I use shackles, makes it so much easier. I leave them on 100% of the time. They do not bang around. They are legal. My shackles are rated stronger than the chains.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
What's wrong with the eyelets on the hitch that you don't like? Shackles with a rating higher than required won't hurt anything, buy why? Pull the hook on the chains from the a forward position and they slip right on with a little downward flick. Don't try putting the front of the hook down through the eyelet. That little spring will frustrate you if you do.

I have the same issue as OP. Take a look at that picture again, the hooks on the chains are not wide enough to wrap fully around the hole in the receiver, so the safety spring is never locked and the chains can fall out. Doesn't matter how you wiggle it around some chains will never fully fit in.

I also use shakles, as long as they're rated higher than the weight of your trailer by a good margin, there is no issue.

Green_Manalishi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm sure if law enforcement stopped you that would be an illegal connection.

Here's NC law:

§ 20-123. Trailers and towed vehicles. (a) The limitations in G.S. 20-116 on combination vehicles do not prohibit the towing of farm trailers not exceeding three in number nor exceeding a total length of 50 feet during the period from one-half hour before sunrise until one-half hour after sunset when a red flag of at least 12 inches square is prominently displayed on the last vehicle. The towing of farm trailers and equipment allowed by this subsection does not apply to interstate or federal numbered highways. (b) No trailer or semitrailer or other towed vehicle shall be operated over the highways of the State unless such trailer or semitrailer or other towed vehicle be firmly attached to the rear of the towing unit, and unless so equipped that it will not snake, but will travel in the path of the vehicle drawing such trailer or semitrailer or other towed vehicle, which equipment shall at all times be kept in good condition. (c) In addition to the requirements of subsections (a) and (b) of this section, the towed vehicle shall be attached to the towing unit by means of safety chains or cables which shall be of sufficient strength to hold the gross weight of the towed vehicle in the event the primary towing device fails or becomes disconnected while being operated on the highways of this State if the primary towing attachment is a ball hitch. Trailers and semitrailers having locking pins or bolts in the towing attachment to prevent disconnection, and the locking pins or bolts are of sufficient strength and condition to hold the gross weight of the towed vehicle, need not be equipped with safety chains or cables unless their operation is subject to the requirements of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations. Semitrailers in combinations of vehicles that are equipped with fifth wheel assemblies that include locking devices need not be equipped with safety chains or cables.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
My remarks were because of the ops picture that showed the chains were not fully attached to the hitch.

Smokeybear01

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I have the same issue as OP. Take a look at that picture again, the hooks on the chains are not wide enough to wrap fully around the hole in the receiver, so the safety spring is never locked and the chains can fall out. Doesn't matter how you wiggle it around some chains will never fully fit in.

I also use shakles, as long as they're rated higher than the weight of your trailer by a good margin, there is no issue.
You're right. I went out and looked at the safety chains on the boat trailer and indeed they are more open than the OP's in the picture. My bad. Shackles would be easier than replacing hooks? Toss up maybe?
Edit: Even though mine are slightly more open, I still have to hook them from the back side of the hole to get them hooked.

Whiskey13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dodge/Ram receivers have had this same set up for years, I have always used shackles on my trailers that had chain hooks that would not close in the receiver holes. I just kept the shackles with those trailer chains that way there was now noise to worry about when not towing.

OP
OP
M

Moltroub

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Sorry I’m a bit late in replying. The hooks won’t fit the proper way. Unfortunately the man who built the trailer welded on two chains and hooks on the one end. They’re too short for the big girl truck. My plan is to grind them off. Bolt one chain long enough to work like our horse trailer and get some proper pins. Went to NT for the chain but the young man didn’t know the rating and they’re no longer marked. I’ll try one of the big box stores or TS.