2nd battery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stephen Wheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I have a 2020 EcoDiesel and would like to add a second battery in the engine compartment. I have been looking around for either someone who has done a DIY or prefab kits for installing a second battery and have not been able to find anything. Anyone come across someone who has done this or know of a kit available?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Without doing some rearranging of under-hood components it's going to be tough to squeeze in. They make battery boxes for mounting batteries under the truck, there's more room. Many years back I helped a buddy install two under his 2500.

OP
OP
Stephen Wheeler

Stephen Wheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Oh I had not even thought about putting them under the truck. I just want them out of sight and secure. Have you seen 5th gen 1500 do this?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I haven't seen anyone post about such. You might be able to find a kit with everything you need but I doubt it will be specific to the Gen5 truck. Usually someone wanting a second battery is for a winch, plow, large inverter, etc.
You'll want to use a continuous duty solenoid and hook the coil up with a three way switch so you can have it turn on with the truck(use this), on all the time(for self jump starting) or not at all.

Dapk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is what I am installing on the frame rail for a second battery. I run an ARB fridge all the time plus a system.
If you have Amp steps you'll have to trim off the piece that sticks out for clearance and run a strap for the battery.
I'll post pics once I get everything installed. For $52 bucks it was the best option for me.

https://www.xtremediesel.com/gm-20970916-frame-mount-battery-tray
20970916_GM_600x600.jpg