2wd to 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jared123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys, I'm new here but I would like to know what would I need to swap my 1999 dodge ram 1500 sport to make it an 4x4. I'm planning to put an lift on it soon so please help (quick) ! Thanks guys:893Chainsaw-Smilie-:sparta::mexsmoke::angels25:

tsunamilogan05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Lots of money. This question is everywhere I used to wonder the same thing but realized the cost and time. Good luck though

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

VolsRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
You don't have to have a 4x4 to do a lift. But if you plan to do some offroading then obviously going to a 4x4 will be extremely helpful. It might be cheaper to trade the vehicle for a 4x4.

OP
OP
J

Jared123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You don't have to have a 4x4 to do a lift. But if you plan to do some offroading then obviously going to a 4x4 will be extremely helpful. It might be cheaper to trade the vehicle for a 4x4.
I know i don't need to do 4x4 but I'm going to do some 4bying soon and I was just wondering if it would be cheaper just trade the truck or just swap it

BBartow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum
As stated you're better off trading it for a 4x4. The amount of money and effort needed is just too much in my opinion. You'll get the same response on the other forum as well.

OP
OP
J

Jared123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Lots of money. This question is everywhere I used to wonder the same thing but realized the cost and time. Good luck though

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
Don't i only need the transfer case and the adapter, and front axle and front driveshaft

OP
OP
J

Jared123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As stated you're better off trading it for a 4x4. The amount of money and effort needed is just too much in my opinion. You'll get the same response on the other forum as well.
Thanks for the info.

leadrofthepak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Your 2wd frame is not set up for 4wd. Not only do you need a different transmission, you need the transfer case, the drive shafts, the computer to control everything, the plumbing to run everything, the shifter in the floor, a completely different front suspension and steering system, new holes in your frame for various new stuff that must be mounted, btw the new holes in your frame weaken it... so that must be corrected, Oh and the 2wd brakes are no longer enough so those have to be changed... which includes bending new brake lines because now your axles have been altered, then we need to account for all the small things like the fact that your cab mounts are now tweaked because a 4wd suspension changes the way the cab sits on the frame...

TONS of work, just go buy a 4wd truck or enjoy your 2wd as is.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
OR your could always find a 4x4 of same year with body rotted to all hell (if yours isn't) and do a body swap. If you have a good engine or tranny or both this is actually a decent option if your willing to do the work