3/4 Ton ******

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chopdawg

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Hi all. Just registered to this forum; or any forum. My background is in the natural gas transportation industry. The wife and I are empty nesters, to a degree, and are contemplating retirement. Want to get an RV, but first need something strong enough to pull it; hence the interest in Ram trucks. Have been looking on computer for a while and many questions have come to mind. My 1st question is what is the difference between "trailering package" and "trailing prepred"? Have seen this in many used truck aids. Next question: Is there any significant cost difference in installing a 5th wheel hitch in a Ram verses Ford or Chevy? I was told at a very large r.v dealership in Louisiana that to install the 5th wheel hitch on a Ram truck was 2-3 times as costly. Did some research but haven't found any information concerning this. Will appreciate any input.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
1st Question:
This is just different phrasing. "Trailer Package" (from the factory) means it has a hitch and wiring.
It does not necessarily include Tow Mirrors and/or the Integrated Trailer Brake controller.

2nd Question:
Not until 2013 should there be an significant difference in cost of the 5th wheel hitch install. I know in 2013 they changed things, and I don't KNOW how that'd impact costs. They IN THEORY made it easier to go to a goose-neck (like it's factory installed option) on the '13s.

Welcome to RamForum, BTW.

OP
OP
C

chopdawg

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Thanks for the answer and the welcome.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Welcome abopard! And White Express was right on. It would be easiest, but not your only option, to find a properly equipped truck off the bat. Some people prefer aftermarket brake controllers, but the 4th gen units fit flush in the dash and can be controlled through the EVIC screen in the dash; that MUST make up for some of the aftermarket fancy-pants features.
Whether you choose the Hemi or Cummins under the hood of a 2500, the RAM makes a great platform for a tow vehicle.
FWIW, for 2014+ the 2500 will have coil springs in the rear to improve ride quality like the 1500's have had for a few years now. It's a night and day difference from leaf springs, and squat is easily remedied with helper airbags.