3.55 Rear End Finally Giving Way?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Hey everyone.

For the past year or so i’ve had this noise coming from the truck that i’ve thought was a wheel bearing. Wasn’t so bad at first and now it’s so loud you can’t hear it over the radio. It’s a “woo-woo-woo” type sound that goes away and stays constant once you lift off the gas, it quiets down a little too and then once you get back on it it’s the same deal. Goes back to what it was before.

Did some tests, moved the truck with the steering wheel going 25-30 mph and had no change in how it sounded. Started to google it and i found a video online of a truck doing what mine was doing and it turns out the rear was starting to go.

I haven’t looked at the fluid yet as part of me is scared to do so. Truck drives fine, there’s driveline vibrations but it’s mostly from the warped rotors. I can post a video of it if needed.

OP
OP
TheEnder

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Forgot to add, if it’s going i would like to replace it with a 3.92 or a 4.56. But i can’t do it right now so if anyone could recommend a temp fix to get more life out of it it would be appreciated.

Octane

Reaction score
Sounds like a bad rearend,does it have a whining also? I'd like to change mine from a 3:55 to a 3:92 also.

OP
OP
TheEnder

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Sounds like a bad rearend,does it have a whining also? I'd like to change mine from a 3:55 to a 3:92 also.

Yes, it has a whine. It has every noise pretty much under the sun.

OP
OP
TheEnder

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Have you looked at the pinion to see if you’ve got any leaks ? Maybe the nut is backing off, this was an issue for a while .
I do have a leak at the pinion i think, it’s been a while since i looked at it. I do remember it being a little wet though. Would the dealer be able to do anything about it?

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Sure bring it buy they will be happy to overcharge and under perform . I would find a 4x4 or off road shop , if not able to repair yourself .

Wanted33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I do have a leak at the pinion i think, it’s been a while since i looked at it. I do remember it being a little wet though. Would the dealer be able to do anything about it?

I agree it sounds like the rear end is giving up. But, I wouldn't take it to a dealer unless you want to pay 3 times the price of the fix. Search around for a good local mechanic. You'll get a better job at a better price. Good luck.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
My thought if you have a small leak at the pinion nut/drive shaft

There is a very good chance that the fluid level has dropped below the axle tubes.
When that happens, you no longer get lubrication out to the rear wheel bearings.
When that happens, you get a noise that sounds exactly like inserting a pipe inside of a slightly large pipe & then rotate the smaller pipe, you get a metal noise that is Echoed

If you are lucky, your Ring & Pinion Gears may have not heated up to the point of metal heat cracking, but the spider gears may be in worse condition.

YOU NEED to check your fluid level ASAP & get to a local Differential shop, when you get a chance

OP
OP
TheEnder

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Sure bring it buy they will be happy to overcharge and under perform . I would find a 4x4 or off road shop , if not able to repair yourself .
I was referring mainly to the pinion nut recalls that effected earlier RAMs.

I would never be stupid enough to let the dealer touch anything on my truck, especially with how they’ve treated some people in my family and people on here. Remembering the days my dad took our car in for an oil change and an oil change magically became 600$.

OP
OP
TheEnder

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8

There is a very good chance that the fluid level has dropped below the axle tubes.
When that happens, you no longer get lubrication out to the rear wheel bearings.
When that happens, you get a noise that sounds exactly like inserting a pipe inside of a slightly large pipe & then rotate the smaller pipe, you get a metal noise that is Echoed

If you are lucky, your Ring & Pinion Gears may have not heated up to the point of metal heat cracking, but the spider gears may be in worse condition.

YOU NEED to check your fluid level ASAP & get to a local Differential shop, when you get a chance
Checking it in a few then. Let’s pray it’s not that bad, but if it is i’m just going to suck it up and drop in a 3.92 LSD rear end, or attempt to fix the 3.55 in it.

OP
OP
TheEnder

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8

Just got back from checking the fluid on the diff.

Fluid is low, but not too low. Just a little under the hole in the differential and the fluid that i pushed out with my finger/got on my finger still looked brand new and didn’t even smell bad. What gives? I drove the truck a tiny bit too in hopes metal shavings would come up but the fluid was crystal clear.

Bandit1859

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey everyone.

For the past year or so i’ve had this noise coming from the truck that i’ve thought was a wheel bearing. Wasn’t so bad at first and now it’s so loud you can’t hear it over the radio. It’s a “woo-woo-woo” type sound that goes away and stays constant once you lift off the gas, it quiets down a little too and then once you get back on it it’s the same deal. Goes back to what it was before.

Did some tests, moved the truck with the steering wheel going 25-30 mph and had no change in how it sounded. Started to google it and i found a video online of a truck doing what mine was doing and it turns out the rear was starting to go.

I haven’t looked at the fluid yet as part of me is scared to do so. Truck drives fine, there’s driveline vibrations but it’s mostly from the warped rotors. I can post a video of it if needed.
Check the u joints

Danquin1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I hear a lit of people in here giving the advise to find a good local mechanic, for better service at a better price, unless that mechanic is your brother, I have found that the pricing is pretty much the same, unless this mechanic let's you buy the parts. Labor is the same no matter where you go. 10 years ago I would agree, but not now. Plus most local mechanics are going to stand by their work when it comes to redoing something for free. Not saying all...But most I have dealt with.

Danquin1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I meant not stand by their work, if it means losing money

CamperMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would have a driveline shop look at it. It won't be cheap but better than the dealer. Also some shops will only replace the axle because they don't have the tools or expertise in the rear end. That's why a driveline shop is best. My mustang was LOUD but didn't change much on or off the gas. It happened to be only bearing noise. Shop replaced carrier bearings pinion bearings and axle bearings and its pretty good now.